1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Gay Pilots in the UK

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by andyj, Jul 29, 2015.

1. andyj

andyj Guest

Hi guys,

Basically I'll start by saying that I am a closeted gay 15 year old who has a passion for aviation which I have had since the age of four. I am soon to begin my training for a PPL (Private Pilots License) but I feel as if something is holding me back. Wanna take a guess? Yes correct! My sexuality. I have always accepted the fact that I was gay but the thought of people treating me differently because of the person I am really hurt. Basically I want to know if I'm not the only gay pilot in the UK? I'm going to work in a low cost airline and I want to have a bit of confidence knowing that I'm not the only gay pilot there.

Thanks guys!

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey bud,

As someone with aviation in his blood, I completely relate to your career aspiration. What prevents me from flying is depression. But to answer your question, there are many, many gay pilots. The airline industry is the most gay friendly industry out there, arguably. While I understand you're in the UK and not the US, I'd still suggest checking out the National Gay Pilots Association.

Here's a good article on the subject: Flying the Gay-Friendly Skies - Why Airlines Are Courting the Gay Market - Gay and Lesbian Travel And while we're at it, here's American Airlines' official company statement on their pro-LGBT culture.

Good luck, and happy jetting!

#2 AwesomGaytheist, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015