1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsexualized nudity: What's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, Jul 30, 2015.

1. MouseKeeper

We live in a highly prudish society where sexuality is highly controversial and stigmatized. There's definitely some hypocrisy here. You can have a movie that contains violence, and blood, and it's okay for children if they're accompanied by an adult. But when there's unsexualized nudity, all of a sudden it's not for kids. With unsexualized nudity it's +17.

You can challenge a person who's against public nudity, and they never have any good reasons that are separate from their very own personal feelings. There's no facts as to why **UNSEXUALIZED** nudity is wrong, just that it somehow in some way poses a threat to kids? Well, by that logic, make your dog wear clothes. Make your cat wear clothes. They're completely naked. If you don't make them wear clothes, then what's the big deal? Their privates are always showing unless the animal has his/her tail down, which isn't as common as it is up. But we never feel the need to hide them.

Why does society freak out over nudity? Why is this such a problem? Doesn't this contribute to the idea that the human body is something to be ashamed of? Something that should be stigmatized and judged?

While we're on the topic of nudity, Lacy green talks about nudism very nicely:

[YOUTUBE]wh4nUlslmso[/YOUTUBE]

So, to summarize my question: Why does society freak out over nudity? I'd appreciate it if someone can help me understand the logic behind this. Thanks.

#1 MouseKeeper, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm, that's something I haven't thought of much. Clothes are very useful, definitely, especially during winter or for people who burn easily in the summer. Honestly, I think unsexualized nudity has been stigmatized for so long that's it's almost impossible to reverse the stigma. Why? Because there will always be people that get turned on by naked women. It's human nature. So if we had a nude society, it would likely be very uncomfortable for some boner-sprouting dudes just walking around. Plus, there would probably be outrage for people not dressing "modestly". It's a shame that there's such a stigma on nudity, but there's not much we can do, much as I hate to say it.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a lot of it is protect children. Naturally, I think they sexualize nudity and process it differently than mature adults. Then, you have the problem of kids being exploited if they are nude. Many predators frequent family nudist areas waiting to pounce. I moderated a very large forum for several years, and we encountered one of these creeps. Private investigators and the police know a lot about these pervs.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's basically learned behavior.

Children most definitely don't sexualize nudity; on the contrary, unless they are shamed or otherwise taught that nudity is wrong, children generally have no body shame or embarrassment.

Also, I'd be interested to see where the evidence is for the idea that predators frequent family nudist areas; most nudist resorts are privately owned and are extremely aggressive about ejecting anyone who is remotely inappropriate. Most require referral from someone known to the community to join; otherwise, visitors can only come on certain designated days. On public nudist beaches, people that come to gawk are pretty much immediately shamed out of their behavior and leave on their own... or else the police come and are quick to solve the problem.

Online is an entirely different problem, and yes, I can totally see that there would be problems with online predators; the incidence of online predatory behavior is one of the reasons EC security is so strict.

Shame about nudity is mostly an American thing. In Europe, values are completely different; nudity (including frontal nudity) is commonly seen on TV, at many beaches, some pools, and in many parks. Interestingly, incidence of sexual violence, assault, rape are much lower in Europe than here.

There are also a small number of studies looking at children raised in nudist environments (generally in communes or other intentional communities.) The best resource on the topic I know of is "Growing Up Without Shame", which reinforces most of what I've said above and, in addition, shows that on the whole, children raised in nudist environments are generally emotionally healthier than their conventionally raised counterparts. From the more modern research on shame and vulnerability, it's easy to see why.

I think people are the way they are simply because they are conditioned to be that way. Once they realize the conditioning really serves no purpose, a much healthier sense of self emerges, and much of the stigma surrounding body image and nudity and the (entirely artifical) association between nudity and sexuality goes away.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Yep! Nudity on beaches and so on, is common here in Sweden.

6. Lipstick Leuger

I work in medical and after a bit it's just like looking at someones nose, no big thing. It's simply socialization is all. I would prance about naked if I could! As long as it's not too cold out that is......

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always assumed it's due to America's Puritan origins.

It is a rather pathetic case of brainwashing. Gets tiresome listening to the arguments against it.

8. fragileflame

I have always wondered this! Everyone knows the different things that people can have, its not like everything is a secret!

9. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because, America is still being influenced by the Puritans. We are so stupid when it comes to something so natural - namely, our bodies. You know that here on TV shows or televised screenings of films, if a man is wearing underwear and it's tight, they'll fuzz up the image!!! Next thing you know, they'll start censoring a buff man's chest on the grounds that they're like breasts! :tantrum: :bang: This is one of the reasons I like the French. They recognize that nudity is normal.

#9 PlantSoul, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  10. tulipinacup

While I do agree with you that there seems to be a double standard with how people treat violence and nudity especially unsexualised nudity.
    My problem with nudity is that some people do not find it comfortable being nude or being next to someone who is nude. I don't think nudity in itself is a problem but you have to understand that some people arent ashamed of the human body but they struggle with body issues, insecurity etc.

11. MouseKeeper

This used to be me. I used to struggle with body image issues, but I've become a part-time nudist, mainly for when I'm in my bedroom, and those body image issues have gone away for the most part.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Because the world couldn't handle this body. 'Tis a burden I carry, concealing it from the masses, but it must be done!

^.~

13. Yosia

Due to the way people are nowadays, nudity will always be sexualised. Shame.

14. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The big deal is that people make it a big deal.

I would bet that eventually, the US evolves more into having the viewpoint of Europe, where it's not a big deal. Take nudity for its own artistic form. :thumbsup:

With all of that said, I personally am not comfortable being nude, so I don't know if this is a thought shared by others and if that influences why this is perceived as a big deal.

15. MetalRice

The US is still influenced by it's puritan history; largely the reason.

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never understood what the big deal with it is, but like others have said, this is a very prudish society.

What's weird is how much more acceptable violence is: Imagine if all the violence on TV was replaced by nudity, and things would be very interesting!