1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Important Are LGBT Role Models & Film/TV Characters?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Foz, Jul 30, 2015.

?

Do You Think LGBT Role Models Are Important?

1. Totes yeah!

76.9%
  2. Meh, kinda?

17.3%
  3. Nopety nope

3.8%
  4. I hate people...

1.9%
  1. Foz

Foz Guest

For me it was hugely important, just today I discovered the article that started my journey - this one There Are More 'Out' Gay Racing Drivers Than You Think - of acceptance. To many it may just be another article but so many people I've spoken to have had this 'epiphany' of acceptance upon seeing a famous person come out, but for me it was pivotal, for years I'd denounced my sexuality as I saw no one 'like me' who was gay; this was like a wake up call that there are other people with my passions and interests who were gay. It started my realisation that there isn't a 'gay lifestyle', it doesn't change you, just accepting what you know deep down is possible.

Since then there has been somewhat of a deluge LBGT characters in TV series and films and I just think that having them is so important as it makes being gay feel more 'normal', it really does help with not feeling like you're the only one.

2. The Wallflower

Kurt's whole journey in Glee is partially the reason I came out. I believe LGBT role models are very, very important. <3

3. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I think it's very important. Though sometimes the media can make it awkward. For example, Prince Oberyn of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels is casually mentioned as being rumoured to often have sex with both men and women, to augment the sense of mystery and the unknown that surrounds him; in the TV series, they take the mystery away by showing him in a brothel, screwing everyone he could see. The allure and dignity of the character was, for me at least, stripped away from him by showing his homosexual feelings as being solely physical on TV, instead of leaving it intentionally vague.

Subtlety, I think, is key in the portrayal of LGBT+ characters: Korra and Asami from The Legend of Korra, and Fever from Philip Reeve's Fever Crumb series are both shown positively as bisexuals and this is foreshadowed. Sadly, not enough gay/bi male characters have appeared in the children's & YA fiction and cartoons I've seen.

Gender issues. Goodness, that's a whole different problem in terms of representation.

#3 Connorcode, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  4. MouseKeeper

TBH, I don't care either way.

5. thewolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    Kind of. I have a hard time relating to anyone, but a lot of LGBT kids can be affected very positively or negatively.

When I used to watch Glee, I was apalled by Santana's treatment of her bae at first. Manipulating her and subtly taking jabs at her intelligence, dismissing her, etc. At least apologize, imo. I don't know if she ever did, given that I stopped watching. -_-

Now I really want a non-toxic complex important lesbian relationship on TV... I think more like Naomily. Except the cheating. But at least I think she apologized?

I don't watch much TV.

6. Sarii

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think you need to have a LGBT role model. Also, you shouldn't be getting your role models from tv shows and media.

7. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Well, some people don't live in areas where they can meet good LGBT role models, and celebrity role models can (can, I emphasise) be worse.
    Ultimately, people want a role model... who is also LGBT. The reason they are a role model shouldn't solely be because they are LGBT - it's a bonus. Some representation is needed, but not everywhere - probably not comedies; they're minefields for LGBT characters.

8. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's important to know that there are lots of successful people who share your sexuality. They don't really have to be role models though.

9. Formality

I don't care about lgbt role models per se, just lgbt characters in general to show people that there is nothing weird or wrong about being LGBT.

10. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think they can provide guidance in hard times, and it's good for people growing up to see people "like them" out in the world. People can get very stuck in thinking that the world is how it first appears to be. It's not correct or rational, but it is how people think.

None of the role models I had were LGBT. They're not always going to be necessary, but it's having them if they're needed that counts. Those of us who don't have a big, supportive family at home to boost us up, teach us, talk to us about absolutely anything, and affirm us have to take our help and our insight where we can get it.

Sometimes that's a character with just the right ideas in their own life or someone in a career we want to be in.

#10 Matz, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  11. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as the LGBT character/s would be do a good impact to the story and wouldnt be just a filler character that the story makers included just to "connect" to the LGBT audience. Most of them are portraying the LGBT community in a wrong way

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes and no.

No in the sense, many times when a character is non-heterosexual, that's it, that's all they are. Even if they do stray from their sexuality, it isn't very far. It comes off as a problem, often times making it seem anybody that is LGBT+ is their sexuality, 24/7, 365 days a year.

Also -- and you can look around this site and see -- when a queer character appears, they have a tendency to fall into stereotypes or a certain role. This is getting better in some ways, but it's still a hurdle, and it can make young LGBT+ folks think, well, I don't act or dress like that, so I cannot be ___.

Yes in the sense, when done right, it helps. It normalizes it, and that's the important thing. But again, a delicate balance is needed or else it can actually backtrack progress.

13. Cider

Yes, because Princess Bubblegum and Marceline from Adventure Time need to get back together now

14. Randomcloud

Verrrry very very important. Until the media starts treating LGBT+ people as normal and, well, existing, kids who are questioning their sexuality will continue to think they are alone/weird/being LGBT+ is not okay. I mean having LGBT+ characters is not going to solve all the problems but it is important that we are represented and not seen as "inappropriate".

On the other hand, I agree with what other people are saying- they don't need to be /role models/ per say, they just have to be THERE (and not as a filler character or token gay best friend either..). The fact is that a lot of kids relate to characters on shows they watch and so it would be nice if LGBT+ kids had people they could relate to as well

15. Foz

Foz Guest

I just googled that and I cannot believe I didn't see it!

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they're important, yet just about all I see are stereotyped and dull, and if you're in your teens, I don't really see any examples on TV, that I've noted, not for males, at least. I've never seen a 'boy meets boy' story in any movie or TV show that is at all positive or affirming, or lacks stereotypes.

So it's sad: I think they are important, but either negatively portrayed, or altogether absent.

#16 HuskyPup, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are no bi male characters on TV. I think it is horrible. There are so many bi guys in the closet, and it makes me sad. I was confused when I was younger. It wasn't so much confusion about who I liked but that there could truly be bi guys/men. I thought it was just a trendy thing for 90's Hollywood women. It totally invalidated.

I do see very positive images of transgender people now though. In the last year, we have had "I am Cait", "I am Jazz"(she's adorable), and Becoming Us. The problem is all of those are MtF and not FtM. I find that sad.

And again, still waiting on a bi male character on TV. I think there will never be one on a regular TV show in my lifetime. That hurts.

Watch the Fosters with Connor and Jude. :slight_smile:

18. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very important. It's lonely and confusing when you don't see people like you in media anywhere, there is no one to really relate to or look up to or even connect to in that aspect. Having LGBT role models in media not only helps people know that they aren't alone, but that they're also 100% normal and that they're fine and there's nothing wrong with them. Also gives people stories to relate to, and people who are like them in that aspect, and that their identities are valid. Media, whether we like it or not, is extremely important and therefore I truly believe there should be way more LGBT people and characters out there. It is improving but I still think there should be more. And I think there should be healthy portrayals of LGBT characters in children's shows, from a young age children need to know that it's okay.

However,
    in regards to representation I feel like they need to be healthy portrayals- healthy by which I mean portraying us in a good light (and not as a joke/as a toxic trope), and not just, for example, the stereotypical token gay character in the show that has little to no depth whatsoever which writers put in to pat themselves on the back and leave it as that. Do it properly. Give us a wide range of characters that are written and explored in a healthy way. Yes, I do want better representation and I think it's important. I also however think it's important that they're done right.
    It'll be nice if the characters are actually written by LGBT people themselves.

Oh and I agree, there should definitely be better bisexual representation on TV. I agree with biguy8 above and I hope there will be more positive bi male characters in the future because I rarely see that as well. But I do see glimmers of hope and progression in media these days, and I hope that things improve over time.

19. guitar

Quite important. Seeing someone you can relate to out in the world lets you know you're not alone. The character who is my avatar, Xandir, had a massive impact on me in my journey through discovery and acceptance of my sexuality. As have many other characters.

20. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really important. Especially for young people, it's a good influence, it doesn't matter what their orientation is. For gay teens it's important to have someone to relate to. Also it gives our community the visibility.