1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

International School Kids?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grungeteen, Jul 30, 2015.

1. grungeteen

Are any of you international school kids? I attended an international school for 6 years- my entire primary school life but I now go to a random public school.

Have you ever read the BuzzFeed post about international school kids? It's suprising how many I can relate to! I'm very glad I had the chance to go to an international school because I now have freinds from all over the world- italy, Japan, Korea, holland, Brazil, China, Thailand, eithiopia, the U.S. and many more...

I definitely have the 'international school accent' except mine has a lot more English influence in it (living here for last 3 years has influenced my accent) but I sound really american but Americans think I don't sound american. I cannot even count the amount of times people have asked me "so where in America do you come from?" And I'm like "umm... I've never even been to America..".

International day was awesome and kid's parents used to bring in foods from their country and we'd all dress in our home country's traditional dress! These were some of my best memories!

The one about you always having atleast one friend who's parents were diplomats is so true as many of my friend's parents were (or atleast very powerful, wealthy people who worked for the government) and I didnt realize until I was much older any of this or how rich some of my friends's families were (my best friend's family owned a HUGE rice factory).

Also, no uniform!

I'm very grateful for the experience of being in an international school.

What were your experiences? (!)

2. Posthuman666

I went to the International School of Basel in Switzerland when I lived there. I only lived there for little less than a year, and I was really young, but I loved it even then. I loved that at such a young age, no one cared what country you were from or what color your skin was, if you were nice, you were accepted. It was beautiful.

3. Lyana

I went to an international school for two years (two different international schools over those two years, actually). It's not the same as growing up in international schools, but I have very good memories of those years.

International day? Yum, I wanted to taste everything.

We all had accents "from nowhere," the kind of accent no one can quite pinpoint. Mine has changed since then, but then, it was almost ten years ago.

I remember two Malaysian Muslim girls who wore the veil at school and, if I remember correctly, excused themselves to pray occasionally. I have never seen that again, since religion is restricted to the private sphere in France, but I do remember that it never bothered anyone. It's small things like that...

I recently saw one of my old friends from this school in Scotland (a country I'd never even set foot in before), so yeah, international schools are great. I don't think a single one of my friends from that school still lives in the country where we met! Of course, neither do I.