1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

russian

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lordjord96, Dec 23, 2008.

1. lordjord96

so i was talking to one of my russian mates on msn and he sent me a email and it followed:

"Russia is strong. Do not disrespect us...

America is like poison, it fouls our nations,
    it makes us forget who and what we are, it makes us forget what having REAL pride is!
    It makes us forget our ways! This makes me very sad...
    I see Russian Teens become this FOUL AMERICAN GARBAGE!
    I see many Asian girls at school loose their ways, because of American scum.

"U.S.A. the greatest country" BAH! America is a Coward,
    the thing they dare call a victory in Iraq, Iraq kicked American asses!
    And if u disagree, look at the Soldiers lives lost list. Complete Defeat.

Why do you think China is so highly productive?
    Cause they see the benefits of Communism!
    That's the absolute PROOF! This is Diamond Clear! No faulty logic!

America is a foolish child, it cannot be compared with our ancient nations!
    America is a weak child, you dare not attack your elders!
    For Russia Comrades!
    For China Comrades!
    For Japan Comrades!
    For Europe Comrades!
    For Asia Comrades!
    For East... "

and i liked it i thought it was well enjoyable to read and i might take it to school for russian studies. what do you think of it?

2. I've heard that most Russians tend to be very patriotic and respectful towards their country. I certainly don't believe that the US is the greatest country; I think there are a lot of things we're doing wrong and could do better. I also don't think we're poisoning the world, and that just becuase we're a young nation we're weak. Yes, the US does have a tendency of making immigrants eventually forget the ways of their mother country, but that's what makes the US the US; we're a melting pot of cultures and people.

It's an interesting e-mail for sure. I wonder if this is an example of the average Russian attitude, or if it's an outstanding opinion. You certainly can't judge all Russians based on this one e-mail.

3. apollo89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats hilarious.

I would just say hi to their dictator Vladamir Putin.

I still love russian men though.

4. starfish

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

China is no more communist than Olive Garden is Italian. China has a highly regulated free market economy with a totalitarian government.

Cough Cough Afghanistan Cough Cough.

5. Trystan

lol that's funny both ways...
    Russian guys are nice though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Ty

Ty

If you can find the ones that aren't going to kill your capitalist ass for the motherland :3

7. Dazed

Dazed Guest

okayyy. yeah we have pride in our country.
    who doesnt? ha

but i really dont understand this line
    "I see many Asian girls at school loose their ways, because of American scum."

what did we do to Asian girls at school?...besides like them :]

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How many American restaurants are in Moscow, I wonder?
    There was a Russian restaurant here in Denver. It closed.
    People flock to our "culture" - such as it is - for a reason.
    And they don't do it at the point of the sword.

Molodyetz!

Lex

9. Ionless

i think he is referring to the Western cultures such as the concept that being slim is beautiful (not that being flabby is, but people just like to disagree) is taking over cultures that would be more "traditionally" and "morally" correct in their native countries.

10. apollo89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Traditionally, asian girls were never fat or flabby. They are actually a better example of skinny beauty than Americans.

I think it is that they aren't as modest about sex as they used to be, and disrespect their parents which just doesnt exist, or used to not exist in most Asian cultures. And they get fat now.

11. devushka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    oy...I lived in Russia last year and definitely came across a number of teenage boys and young men (and one or two young women) with this worldview. It's probably not the majority view, but it is a view that's taking hold, especially among the younger generations. There's a lot of xenophobia in Russia, especially in the provinces, and I heard kids throw around a lot of racism, antisemitism, and homophobia. One older woman I talked to (who has done quite a bit of international travel) said that she thinks part of this xenophobia and fear of America is a biproduct of the fall of the soviet union and an example to the damage done to the Russian ego. she said these kids learn in history class how their country was once one of the great world powers, first a massive empire, and then the highly powerful USSR. when the soviet union fell, suddenly their economy dissolved and most of the country was poor and backward. for kids growing up in this sort of an environment, the only way to regain their pride in their country is by placing blame for Russia's problems on members of other societies or anyone who is different from them. I think this letter is an example of that. I'm not saying everything written there is false, but the way it's worded, that sort of letter is the thing that boys who would beat up, say a Georgian immigrant or gay man would write.

Not everyone by any means holds this world view and I encountered lots of kids who were very interested in learning about American culture, just as I wanted to learn about Russian culture. even people who held more xenophobic world views were interested in talking to me--I was the only American they had met. maybe your friend believes this, but also made it more dramatic for shock value?