1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your opinion on celibacy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simply, I'd like to hear your opinions/beliefs on celibacy. Do you think it's negative or beneficial, and under what circumstances? Would you ever advocate or consider it, and if so for how long?

This thread is not me asking for advice, since I've already formed an opinion on this matter. I'd just like to learn more about the community's thoughts.

2. candyjiru

Your body, your choice~ I think whether someone wants to experience all the flavors of the sexual rainbow, or whether they want to keep their body as a temple, it's their decision and their reasons, and ultimately, their choice. As long as they don't try to tell others that their way is the only way to live, I think if it makes them happy and it's not hurting anyone else, then that's the right thing for them~

3. pastadudde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't deny anyone's right to do the horizontal tango, but I do strongly believe that a couple (or threesome, foursome etc LOL) should voluntarily be tested for STDs before they ever engage in sexual intercourse. And people who do have a permanent condition such as HIV should make it known to anyone they date that they have this condition. it's the responsible thing to do.

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Ender, I moved this over to Chit Chat for you. :slight_smile:

5. Greenapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that it's up to the individual person. Some people are just less sexual than others. As long as the person is choosing to be celibate and they are 100% happy and comfortable with their choice then it is absolutely fine.

At the end of the day we have choice over how we use our bodies and if we are going to be making choices it should be in the pursuit of happiness.

6. CyanChachki

There's nothing wrong with it.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It entirely depends on why a person has chosen celibacy.

There's quite a difference between the enforced celibacy of the Catholic clergy, for example, and the willing celibacy of someone who simply doesn't interest themselves in sex as much as most others.

8. Lyana

I would never impose celibacy on myself, just as I would never force myself to have one-night stands every night. I just live on a day-to-day basis in regards to relationships, and don't expect or look for anything. I remain open to all possibilities, hence never have and never will consider myself celibate. So it's not for me, even though there can be stretches of time where I enjoy being single and celibate.

Now for others, well. If it's celibacy out of a lack of interest in sexual activity, then I'm all for it. If it's chosen, even willingly, because of a set of beliefs... well, I think people should do whatever they want, but I can't say I understand it.
    And when it's a gay man choosing celibacy because he thinks sex with other men is shameful and a sin, I think that's very sad.

9. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really think it's bad or good, it's their choice what they want to do with their body, for whatever reason it may be. As long as they down look down upon people who are sexually active.
    I don't know if it's considered celibacy, but I personally don't want to have sex at least until I'm eighteen and in a long term relationship.

10. Cedar

It's really up to that person. I'm not going to try and force others to be celibate simply because. It's their life and they should be free to make a decision such as that one.

11. Cider

It doesn't hurt anyone, so people should be allowed to do it.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If it's what somebody wants to do, sure. But if they're doing it because they feel pressured, then it is beginning to become a problem. What's worse is, some individuals, so ashamed of sex in general or being perceived as "dirty" or a slut for even thinking about sex, will claim and promote celibacy to distance themselves from that. In the more extreme cases, claiming celibacy or even asexuality, makes some folks feel superior or above the temptations of humans... and I could ramble about this all day, but I digress.

I believe a decent number of celibate individuals fall into the ashamed or avoid-a-reputation camps, at least from my observations and experiences. But you have some who do it, for a more wholesome or spiritual reasoning and that's fine. It is nice to know you can have control over your thoughts, emotions, and sexuality. It empowers you.

End of the day, it's your call. Just make sure why you're doing it is for you, and not others.

13. SpiritEnergy

There's nothing wrong with it, it's your body.

14. Yosia

Do whatever you want, its your body, no one else's.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That it's not for me!

16. lettuce

I definitely agree with you. People shouldn't basing their self-worth on whether they have sex or not.

I think as long as someone has a healthy perception of sex there's nothing wrong with being celibate. If not, they should work on their underlying issues, not the celibacy itself.

17. MetalRice

It's not for me; but if someone wants to be celibate they can.

18. Posthuman666

Like everyone else said, it is your body and you can do whatever you want with it. There is nothing wrong or right about it, it is a personal choice.

19. iiimee

I am fine with you personally wanting to be celibate, but if you try to tell me I need to be celibate like my old church did, I won't be your friend.

20. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I don't have an opinion, really. If a person wants to be celibate, be my guest. As long as they're not forced into celibacy or tricked into it, but it's their own choice, then sure.