1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Mountain Bikers here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sugar, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love biking and I`ve decided to take up mountain biking this summer. It`s a bit early to be thinking about it lol but i`m looking for good deals on bikes in the winter.

So any mountain bikers here? If so, how was your experience. I heard about some life changing stories about people who start mountain biking. I think it`s because of getting back to your roots and being one with nature. Camping and hiking also give that feeling of peace i find.

2. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Me! No real life changing story. It is just something I love to do.

3. SlickyPants

I was have not got into mountain biking yet but I've done some short distance touring. Weekend trips and the like. It is a lot of fun and if you live in a place with nice scenery there is no better way to take it in than a leisurely bike ride. I really have an urge to quit my job one day and just start cycling around the country. No destination in mind.

My experiences thus far have been mostly positive. My only advice is to prepare yourself for any accidents that tend to happen... Flat tires, broken spokes, etc.

Here is a picture from an excursion I went on in early August. I even happen to stumble upon some finished parts of the Trans Canada Trail.

[​IMG]

4. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh nice, you are really well prepared! I printed out a manual for bike repair and i`m reading up on that now. Would hate to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire lol. I would love to bike across canada. I live in Quebec and it would be my dream to cross over all the way to BC.

5. SlickyPants

I'd love to ride through B.C. although I have a huge fear that I'll get eaten by a grizzly bear while camping for the night.

6. starfish

I have a hybrid bike that I use mostly for on road stuff. I do some light off road, but a few weeks back I got onto a trail my bike was not really equipped for. I enjoyed it, really more than road biking so there goes another 800 dollars.

I'm thinking I'll buy a mountain bike when my bonus comes in this spring.

7. xequar

Mountain biker here, although I didn't get out on the MTB even once this season. I wasn't strong enough to handle it thanks to my accident, and $4.29/gallon gas made me rethink driving an hour to the trailhead.

For me, it was a life-changer. I was super depressed and heavy when I bought my mountain bike. Going out riding gave me a chance to get away from my horrible smoking roommates, and doing that much exercise helped me lose a ton of weight.

Once I got a roadbike, I started riding roadie and commuting by bike a lot more, mostly out of convenience. I still love the mountain bike, although, but I'm too far away from any of the good trails to enjoy it as much as I'd like. There's something to be said for crusing down a hill then feeling every fiber in your leg light back up as you climb the next, and some of those technical spots are just so rewarding if you clear them. And if nothing else, I love getting out after about six inches of snow and going for a good snow ride!

But, I might actually sell my MTB come spring just because it's just not getting ridden enough. I haven't decided, though. I might just have my shop do a good tune on it and try to rock out more this summer.

If you have the means and some good trails (and I'd imagine you do up in Quebec), I'd wholeheartedly say to go for it!

8. Daniel

Although I prefer road biking I more often mountain* bike. I find it amazing. I feel so healthy and refreshed after I do it. It's just something I love.

*I don't actually go biking on mountains but in rolling hills and through a state forest near my house which contains mostly swamp