1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Feel So Useless...Nothing I Can Do

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MysteriousMadam, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :frowning2:

I want to become a philanthropist and activist when I grow up. I want to help stop the racism and racial tension in this country (USA) and the rest of the world. I want to help make the world safer and more fair for LGBTQ+ individuals. I want to help women in third world countries and help stop sex trafficking. I want to help people with cancer, HIV/AIDS, and depression and look for better medications and maybe even cures for said diseases. I want to help eliminate world hunger and homelessness. There's a ton of things that I want to do and help out with. I obviously can't be Superwoman and do everthing myself, I understand that. But I want to help out and start doing something to help out someone...
    I just feel so bad because I can't do anything. I'm too young for anyone to really take me seriously and too young to do anything that will actually have a huge impact in the long run. I don't know how to change people's minds. There are always going to be racist people looking for race wars, there will always be people who want to hurt or kill trans* people or who want to take gay people's rights away, there will always be people who want to take advantage of others, etc. it's fucked up human nature unfortunately. It's like the bad people will always outnumber the good people who want to make a difference and stand up and help. I was just thinking about all the world's problems and it's almost like we don't care, or maybe we do care but we don't know where to start so we're procrastinating.
    I'm not sure :frowning2: I don't know, I just wanted to get this out there, it's been heavy on my heart today. I wish I could just do something to help someone out.

2. Yosia

Just know that when you are kind to someone, you are helping them out, when you donate to charity, you are saving people. You are helping lots already just by having the mentality that you want to help!

I too want things like you have listed but to be honest, my dark self already admits that there's only so much i can do.

3. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh, I definitely don't think the bad people outnumber the good people in the world. If this were the case, there would be a lot more death than there already is.

Human nature is really complicated and yeah, self-preservation is part of that. If people feel that their beliefs are threatened or that their way of life may have to change, they will likely lash out in the only ways that they have been taught to process this.

I think one of the most helpful things you can do in the world is be positive. (*hug*) The smallest actions, like being a shoulder to cry on or having a deep conversation with someone, can really make a big difference in their lives. They, in turn, may pass this on, maybe in a different format, but either way, the positive energy continues moving through and touching other people. :slight_smile:

When you get older, support organizations that align with your beliefs. Whether this is volunteering or donations, if you truly want to see an agenda move forward, you need to be a part of it.

(&&&)

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. You can give money, but you can/will make an even greater difference by giving your time to a cause. I do.

Volunteering and activism is a win/win thing, because you are making a positive contribution and get something back in the process. I can honestly say that volunteering has had the most amazing, positive impact on my life.