1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word "queer"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Randomcloud, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Randomcloud

Do you like the word? Do you mind if people in the LGBT+ community refer to you as "queer"? Do you mind if people who are not LGBT+ use the word?

Personally I don't like using the word to describe myself since it was often used as an insult by peers growing up..yet I know people I've met in LGBT+ spaces who call me queer because they assume it's fine with me since it's used so commonly these days.

I know it's being "reclaimed" by the LGBT+ community and doesn't have those negative connotations to a lot of people, but I would appreciate it if people asked before slapping that label on me haha..

2. randomconnorcon

I don't care if people like me use it, if I know them. I use the word queer myself because it's the easiest way to describe me. But if someone I didn't know used it as an insult, then they've messed with the wrong guy. Because I have major issues with impulse control and they will be punched in the face or kicked in the groin. I can't stop that.

3. schrodinger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't like it either, I find it insulting. If i had to pick a label it would be homo.

4. LiquidSwords

This will never stop being a discussion on here haha

People can't call me queer, no

5. Lyana

I like the word. I don't go around saying, "He's queer," but I like it for myself, and I like it as an umbrella term for the whole community. "Queer," to me, is more inclusive and easier to say than any alphabet soup.

That said, I know that some people don't want to have it applied to them, so I don't use it as often as I would like to. I didn't grow up with the experience of hearing the word thrown at me as an insult. At other people, yes, but not directly at me, so maybe that colors my perception of the word. It doesn't hurt me.

I also first read the word on the first page of the novel A Little Princess, where it was used to mean nothing but odd, strange, and I fell in love with it. I think it sounds beautiful.

6. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as gueer, I like it. :slight_smile:

7. MrSkittles

No, I don't want to use it or others to use it towards me because I take it as a insult.

8. Cider

I don't really care, as long as it's not being used as an insult.

To be honest though, I would really only lbe fine with other LGBT people to call me queer, if at all.

9. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't that kind of the problem behind queer? That it is used as both a label and an insult? It's like if we walked around calling ourselves faggots. How can we expect others to respect us and not call us names if we call each other the same names?

10. celeste

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ^ I agree. I wouldn't want to be called queer by anyone.

11. Aldrick

I use the word in different ways.

1. I don't apply it as a label to someone unless that is the specific label that they use for themselves. Therefore, I wouldn't say, "Oh, she's queer." Most likely, I'd say, "Oh, she's a lesbian." If someone specifically identifies as queer, I will use that label for them, otherwise I am using more descriptive labels such as gay, lesbian, bi, pan, transgender, etc.

2. I use the word Queer as an umbrella term to collectively refer to everyone who is LGBTTQQIS2SPAA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Spawn, Two-Spirit, Pansexual, Asexual, and Allies). Obviously, I am still leaving off identity labels, and it could grow much longer. I use Queer to make sure that everyone is represented. Basically, the word is meant to include: everyone who identifies as non-heterosexual, non-cisgender, and those who identify as culturally queer. It is essential for an umbrella term unless you want to include pretty much every letter of the alphabet multiple times, and at least a few numbers to make sure everyone is represented.

3. I use the word queer to refer to a set of cultural values surrounding sexuality and gender. These are the core values that unite the entire community. If I am specifically referring to this I may say "queer culture" or "queer values".

4. I use the phrase "Queer Community". However, when I use this phrase it is exclusive and it is therefore not intended to be inclusive. It is meant to be an umbrella term of the above, but to specifically refer to the individuals who have embraced said cultural values. Someone can be a homosexual, but reject trans* people. In my view, this makes them non-compatible with our community, regardless of their sexual orientation. They may be included in the overall umbrella, but they are not part of our community. To be part of the community requires the acceptance of the underlying values that unites it together.

There really is no other word that is as inclusive as queer when discussing broad but related cultural concepts, when trying to be inclusive while discussing a huge range of diverse people who have sometimes multiple but related identities that fall within the queer umbrella, or discussing the community specifically and directly while trying to be inclusive to everyone who falls within it.

12. Regular

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're in my closest circle of friends and it's a joke, then yes. If not, them get out

13. Honest4You

Honest4You Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just despise the word queer as much as I despise the word gay. I think my hatred for the word gay is much stronger though haha. These days I wrestle between telling people I like boys (prefer the sound if that) to saying I'm gay, which to the larger masses sounds more comprehensive.

14. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is unfair. It's like when black people use the n-word around each other, but if someone white was to call them that, they'd get offended. You can't have it both ways.
    Queer is an inclusive word, definitely, but I think finding a substitute for that would be a better solution. Who wants to be likened to something strange and out of the ordinary?

15. The Wallflower

There are so many threads about this word.

16. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't mind if LGBT people want to call themselves queer and if you want me to call you queer, I will. But I personally do not want to be called queer (and I don't want to be called 'monosexual' or 'monosexual queer' either).

17. Aldrick

Well you have a choice as a gay male:

Queer: "differing in some odd way from what is usual or common"

Gay: "happy and excited / keenly alive and exuberant"

Which is the word that you think describes us best? Being intrinsically happy, excited, feeling keenly alive and exuberant, or being different in some way from what is usual or common?

The problem with the word queer is that it has a historical use as a slur. Not it's definition. Gay didn't imply male homosexual until homosexual people started to refer to themselves as gay. Now, it is rare for people to use the word gay the way it was originally used. Over time the same thing will happen to the word queer, and it will change to reflect its new usage and definition.

Besides, when you use it in the reappropriated way it pisses off the bigots. They are angry that we "stole" the word gay, and when we use the word queer in a positive way it pisses them off because we are "stealing" that word from them too. It always gives me a little tinge of schadenfreude when they get pissed off about it.

18. Van

Van

I think we discussed this not long ago, but anyway...

I like the word queer! And I wish people would stop use it as an insult or as a pejorative. It's such a unique word. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Find a word we *can* all agree on, and I'll stop using this one.

20. Randomcloud

SORRY for posting a topic that has been discussed a lot before haha I haven't been on here for months so I didn't know