1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nightsky

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bookreader, Aug 3, 2015.

1. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you ever look at the nightsky? I think it's beautiful, especially when lots of stars are out. Sometimes I just want to take a walk outside and just stare at the sky.

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Me too, on a rooftop or somewhere high. The night is more interesting. :slight_smile:

3. Lyana

Yes. I love it. I do it all the time when I'm out and it's dark. The stars, the moon... To be honest even a cloudy night sky looks great, especially when you can just about divine the moon behind it.

I was recently outside during the beginning of a thunderstorm and just looked up. It was amazing. When we got inside, we opened the windows and stared at the dark sky being lit up by flashes of lightning. It was just that beautiful.

One of my sweetest, most cherished memories of a date night was her and I laying down by the river and looking up at the skies, trying to find the few constellations we know.

4. CyanChachki

Yes, I do. I love the night sky more than anything. The best thing about living in British Columbia is being able to watch the Northern Lights early on in the year. I remember this one time when my sisters and I went outside, late at night and watched them glow. It's one thing to watch them on a video.. but seeing them in real life is fascinating.

5. alilnervous

Anything involving nature, if I am alone, or with the partner I love, I could stare at it forever. The ocean, the night sky, in a never ending pine forest, those three things I am very fond of.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes! Especially when you get away from the light pollution :slight_smile:

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember a few years ago, it was a cold night in December, and the sky was clear, and the moon was in its new phase. I have never, in my life, seen as many stars as I saw on that night. I was completely taken aback. I tried taking a picture but it couldn't pick up the detail how I saw it.

That's one positive aspect of winter - long nights, clear skies and cold temperatures are the best combination for an amazing night sky.

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Living close to the city means too much light pollution to fully enjoy the night sky. When I was in Greece in a few villages, I'd love looking up and seeing all the stars come out. I was able to see the little dipper and thousands upon thousands of stars all over the sky. It was beautiful. I'd also love to see the northern lights sometime, especially in the winter. I live at a point where the Aurora Borealis is almost not visible, or at least visible with a terrible view. A vacation in a warm log cabin up north in Canada in the winter with a view of the northern lights sounds incredible.

#8 Skaros, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love that the night sky so much! It looks so pretty with the clouds, and the stars all put together like a puzzle piece! Truly beautiful, especially since it's not man-made like other things.

10. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I keep thinking this thread is about some long-dead Russian politician, Vladimir Nightsky.

But certainly, I love looking up at the stars. You have to be in the right place, however. Out in a forest meadow at night--that is the best place to see it.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember a night sky I witnessed back in 1979, in the little village of Great Whale River, on or around June 21st, the summer solstice (basically the longest day of the year).

It was spectacular...in a single scan of the entire sky I was able to see gentle northern lights streaming down, too many stars to count, the Milky Way, an almost full moon, and far to the north, a red sky where the sun just set at around 11:30 PM (the village is just below the arctic circle, so the sun will still set in the summer, but remain just below the horizon until it rises again around 2 AM).

That was a night to remember!

12. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would love to see the stars at night but unfortunately there is too many lights on at night that you can't see a single star you literally have to go to middle of nowhere to be able to see them here

13. Formality

I love the sky, day and night. I think I spend like at least 30 minutes each day just looking up and just enjoying the ever changing artwork that is the sky. Just today I watched the sky at 2 occasions. First one was in the day and there were these really cool looking clouds that were kinda flat and spread out, they looked like little boomerangs and had like a misty texture on one side and a very clean sharp edge on the other. There was a ton of them in little groups and it looked so cool.

The second time was at sunset and there were these flat box shaped clouds with round edges. They were far off in the distance and alone on the sky and you could see this misty texture underneath the cloud from the rain falling and moving with the wind. The sun left this pink shade on the top and the clouds were dark blue, with the light blue sky as a backdrop. I was in awe.

When I lived in northern Sweden in a tiny village of about 300 peeps. They would turn off all the street lights at like 21:00 and I would always love looking up at the sky and you could see the shape of the milky way and the millions of stars you don't usually see when you live near a city where there's a lot of light pollution. There was also the aurora borealis every once in a while. One time it was this really really vibrant green colour and I stood outside looking at it with my friend and I swear it was so cold, like -23 C but we just stood there watching until the cold hurt our bodies :lol:. The sky is just amazing and a great comfort during the long dark winters.

14. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I really want to see the northern lights in person.

15. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember looking at the night sky full of stars, then I saw the dark clouds uncovering the moon. It was a full moon. I felt so happy and relaxed just by seeing it. Seconds after, I felt a growing pain in my back. It became so painful that it made me kneel on the grounds. I looked at my hands and I saw some fur growing and my nails are sharper, then I blacked out. I woke up in the middle of the forest, naked and covered with blood. I have no idea what happened.

16. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    One time, I listened to high school musical while staring at the sky.

17. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i always do. especially in a park or something. with the city that never sleeps, you never see many stars, but the ones that shines the brightest. puts it in a lot perspective.

18. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love thunderstorms, especially at night!

I personally would love to see Northern Lights, unlikely that it'll happen, but I can still hope :slight_smile:

-------
    It is cool to look up at the night sky at stars & such... but where I live there really ain't much to see (live just outside city limits, so way too much light pollution to see anything but the brighter stars).
    Now getting away & going to the mountains...the view is awesome, especially the right time of year/when its a perfectly clear/& moonless night, when you can see the milky way.

19. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Awhile ago, I would pretend that the stars are my memories so when there's a lot of stars, there's a lot of memories.

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'd like to be a part of the sky instead of a person