1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bestman at my dads wedding

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sky82, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Sky82

My dad asked me to be his bestmam which I agreed to happily. However! The wife to be wants me to do the whole pink dress and heels thing and I want to have matching suits with the men. How on earth do I convince her to go with the suit option and get her to understand I'm not a pink dress type if lass?

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Probably a typo but I think "bestmam" is a cute term, possibly fitting to your situation.

Hmm, well it's your dad, but most often traditionnal weddings are all about the bride. Happy wife happy life for your dad I suppose... Has she met you? Maybe she hasn't figured out it's not something you'd do typically?

Would you compromise and wear some sort of suit that matches the guys but with a pink shirt/tie that matches the bridesmaids?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest talking with your dad about it first. There's one piece here that complicates things, and that's the fact that this day is about your dad and stepmom, not about you. So you have to balance your own need for individuality against their need to have their day be special and beautiful in the way they want it.

I'd personally be cautious... not approaching your dad with "Your wife-to-be is being ridiculous" but instead with "Here's a concern I have and I want to honor her feelings as well as be true to myself" and see how important it is to her (and to him.)

The last thing you want to do is give her something that's going to spoil her feelings about the wedding. Perhaps if she understands, you can make it work for everyone... or if she feels really strongly, perhaps you can be flexibie on that one special day that belongs to her and your dad.

4. The Wallflower

I'm sorry, this comment is of no help at all.

I'm just really dissapointed because I misread the title as "Batman at my dads wedding".

Sadness. :lol:

#4 The Wallflower, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  5. Sky82

We have met three times, however have chatted on the phone quite a few times. The dresses and colours were picked by my sister (11) and her daughter (9) so I get the feeling she isn't really that bothered re the bridesmaids dresses. I think the main problem is she is threatened by the relationship between my dad and I and I'm also older than her. I've tried taking to my dad but don't get anywhere. I've offered to wear pink shoes, tie etc.... Which it think will look very nice .

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2015 at 08:09 PM ----------

Batman turning up would be a giggle :wink:

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2015 at 08:12 PM ----------

After re reading what you guys have said and reading what I've said, I am making this out to be about me aren't I? Maybe I should just shut up and accept whatever she put me in lol.
    The only thing I hate is she keeps saying "you'll look like a raving lezbo in a suit" could kick her when she says that lol.