1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I regret nothing (caution: rant ahead)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunshinebi, Aug 3, 2015.

1. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So today I went into a church to change some light bulbs and audibly snorted at a plaque in front of the church's pastor. I was totally being a dick but... Eh whatever.

First, let me explain why I was changing light bulbs in a church. I'm staying with my aunt and uncle this month and am working for my uncle's electrical contracting firm. We were doing some work on a security system at a catholic school when the janitor asked if we could change a few light bulbs in the chapel. Now being the good samaritan I am, I happily obliged. So the first thing I see when I walk in is a giant-ass bronze plaque reading "In loving memory of the victims of abortion." I mean really? Victims? Victims?! We're throwing around the f:***:cking v word now?!?!

Look, I get it. If you're dumb enough to get pregnant when you can't afford a kid and/or are a teenager then you kind of deserve some sort of cosmic payback. However, in the instance of rape, then abortion is necessary avenue. I'm no expert on the morals of the rest of mankind but I personally know a girl who was a rape baby. Her mother was financially sound enough to support a child so she just rolled with it I guess. I know that sounds disrespectful but don't worry I'm not that much of a an assh:***:le. "Rape baby" is quite literally how she words it. That being said everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, if you're going to have extreme views, prepare to get shafted by criticism. But anyway, that is why I looked at the damn thing and chuckled in front the man who possibly might have been the one to put it there (the pastor, or it at least could've been his idea) Oh well, screw religions. Most of 'em hate me anyway. So yeah, as the title says, I regret nothing about my actions. Reply as you see fit, I mean it is just a scathing rant.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very narrow minded point of view in some respects but its your opinion.

3. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use to feel the same about abortion. If the women was raped then she can or has the right to get an abortion. I watched a program on the id channel I think.. or something like that it was titled "victims of rape and incest" and on it a lady said she kept the baby. In fact all of the women said they kept their children. Because even if you abort the baby, the feeling doesn't go away, you still know you had an abortion. And if the child is born it is kbown as a rape child.. or you can define it as a miracle... rape is not a miracle... but the creation of life is. I'd rather bring a child into this world than abort one. I had a completely different viewpoint then after watching the program I had a different mindset. As for the whole victim thing.. that church is really... ummm. I guess something else... I don't know. XD

4. Cider

(This is just my opinion.)

I don't want to start anything, but it was rude to just laugh at something like that. Even if you don't agree with a person's beliefs, it's pretty low to do that.

I honestly don't know if I'm pro life or pro choice.

Usually I feel like a woman should have a baby no matter what, except for if its like you said, rape, or If giving birth to the baby will literally be dangerous to the woman's health. After all, if you're going to have sex, then be prepared for the consequences if something bad happens.

But I'm not a woman, so I wouldn't know how they feel when they're pregnant, and when they find out they're pregnant, and I wouldn't know their situation. So overall in the end, all women should have the right to do whatever the heck they want.

EDIT: I guess that means I'm pro choice then. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#4 Cider, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  5. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you truly regretted nothing, would you be posting about it here, seeking online approval?

Don't try so hard.

6. The Wallflower

Opinions, opinions.

Beliefs, beliefs.

They should be respected.

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that what you did was disrespectful, regardless of your intention.

8. SpiritEnergy

That is what they believe and should be respected, just like you want respect in what you believe.

9. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering abortion is murder, yes, I think that plaque is perfectly acceptable.

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do they care as much about children who are unwanted, abused, or born into families who can't support them? Do thy care about and fight for these "precious lives" once they're born? Or do kids who are born into those circumstances deserve to suffer in order to punish their parents for having sex?

#10 Maddy, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  11. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Abortion is not murder.

12. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Upon reexamination of my post and thought process, or lack there of, I would like to apologize to anyone I have offended. Being a member of the lgbt+ community has helped me open up to new ideas and philosophies that I never would've considered on my own. Thank you to everyone who replied to show me the error of my ways. I respect constructive criticism and should honestly take more time to contemplate my actions in day to day life. Again, my solemn apologies to anyone who feels offended by my post.

13. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had my appendix removed, does that make me a murderer? :dry:

14. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oi! No online scuffles in my thread. Opinions yes, arguments no. You wanna argue, take it outside. By that I mean just make a poll or something and we'll see what everyone thinks.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

how about 'in loving memory of the victims of religion'

though it'd have to be a pretty long plaque to fit the names of more people than we have currently living on this planet

16. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Part of me would say "respect others' and their beliefs" but the part of me that has lived in the real world and had my life torn apart by religion, go ahead and laugh, perhaps not the most tactful thing to do as abortion is such a sensitive topic but I believe everyone should treat others and they treat you. They disrespect our 'lifestyle choices' and logic we disrespect their stupidity and superstition. just imo of course

17. Aldrick

I am not calling either of you out, because I think this is the general consensus of the people in this thread. You both just happened to state it directly, which is why I am quoting you.

Obviously, I disagree. Beliefs and opinions do not deserve respect. They deserve to be examined critically and then rejected, ridiculed, or embraced as appropriate to the belief or opinion.

No one here would say, 'Look, ISIS has a set of beliefs regarding gay people. They just happen to involve capturing them, throwing them off the highest building in town, and stoning them to death once they hit the ground. We have to respect their beliefs, guys. It's their religion and their opinion.' No, we look at their beliefs and opinions, realize that it does not deserve our respect because they are wrong, and we treat them with the proper amount of disdain that they deserve.

The fact that people feel differently about these particular beliefs implies one or more of the following:
    1) They think it is politically or socially acceptable to hold these beliefs.
    2) They seek conflict avoidance.
    3) They agree with the stated belief.

Regardless of the underlying motive, it has the practical effect of empowering those who hold those beliefs by legitimizing them. If you believe that a set of beliefs are morally wrong, you have an obligation to at a minimum show your disapproval for those beliefs. This may create conflict, but conflict is a necessary component of change. No change happens without it, whether it is the result of an internal conflict, or an external conflict caused by others.

As a result, I think it is dangerous and dishonest to say or imply that all beliefs or opinions should be respected.

#17 Aldrick, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  18. NervousAsHeck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well personally, I don't see that people should get cosmic payback for making a mistake or being dumb. My turn to rant in return : :wink: As a pure atheist and ex biochemist there really is no difference between that clump of cells and any other mindless clump. So do you deserve cosmic justice if you without meaning to step on a snail or dumbly leave the door open let to g in a fly that you then need to kill?

It really is this simple, , don't bring an unwanted baby into this world, unless it will cause more suffering not to.

There is no reasonable argument not involving metaphysics that can be given against.

19. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While i understand how religion can victimize people and even thought that saddens me beyond words it really does being a homosexual christian made a stronger believer in Christ. I am in that sense not a victim I just saw past the the religious bigotry and developed a true loving faith in religion much thanks to my deceased bf a born again believer in Christ as I have been since the Spring of 2013.

#19 dano218, Aug 4, 2015
  20. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Completely agree with you.

And I bet that every person who replied to this thread can find a number of opinions and beliefs that they do not respect, such as those that state gay people should be executed.

However, I think the argument was that this particular belief wasn't dangerous the way the ISIS belief is, and on that basis, can be respected even if disagreed with. A view like that of ISIS on homosexuals cannot.

#20 Wallace N, Aug 4, 2015