1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Do People Close Their Eyes When Kissing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HighintheClouds, Dec 23, 2008.

1. HighintheClouds

I realised this some time ago. You see this on all the films, in pictures, and we do it in real life. Heck, I even do it. But why do we always have to close our eyes when having a nice passionate/sweet/caring kiss?

I recently tried experimenting with my boyfriend (har har har). We both kissed and the conversation went something like this.

Me: Okay.. Why do we have to close our eyes when kissing?
    Him: Hmm... I'm not sure..
    Me: Let's try an experiment okay? We'll both kiss and we'll open our eyes and we'll see how that works out.
    Him: Okay.

So we both did it. I looked into his eyes and he into mine and we started kissing. Only problem was I was thinking so much about the problems and the whys and as I looked into his eyes I was focusing on his face (which admittedly looked weird because he was so near and because we were kissing) and the whole "do something passionate for the sake of science" situation was so absurd that I ended up bursting out in laughter. He followed suit and I just ended up falling back onto the bed laughing.

I'm not sure my results would be considered very reliable.... But this still leaves the question.. Why?!

2. Mind Freak

Haha, idk. Seems like it would be weird to look someone dead in the eye like that.

And what happens if some how there is face slippage and your eye ball gets licked. Lol. I don't know why I find that so funny but it's all good. x D

3. Ciel

Ciel Guest

Well...I can't say why really but from my one and only experience kissing a friend of mine in truth or dare, I had my eyes open and well I already do have issues with making eye contact with people but seeing her face so close up I just started laughing. So...I don't really have any answers but if it helps support the reliability of what happened when you tried it there it is xD.

4. OneHatMadder

I know that I do it so that I can savour the sensations more.

With my eyes open I think too much.

Also it seems somehow... I dunno... Impolite to have open eyes.

5. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

I've never thought about it until now. And can't really give a reason why. Its just the way things happen.

6. Bunny

Well...it kinda hurts your eyes to see someone that close. xD

Plus it's all ~romantic~.

7. Absentminded

I don't know...I don't have trouble doing it, but...maybe it's cause I can make eye contact with people without problem. But, it may be because you don't think more, or perhaps it just relaxes your body more. I know it is way more relaxing with your eyes closed.

8. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Also shows a certain level of trust as you are pretty vulnerable there. Doing it with your eyes open would be like asking "You going to punch me in the face?"

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think about when you want to experience something well. Like enjoy the smell of some homemade bread, for instance, or enjoy a nice song on the stereo at home. Placement is important. You lean down close to the bread, sure, but you don't actually put your nose ON the bread. And you might get closer to the speakers, but you don't put your ear up against them. When you get too close, it interferes with our ability to fully enjoy things. Kissing someone puts you in the right spot to enjoy them tactilely, but you're a bit too close to truly enjoying them visually.

Secondly, again, imagine savoring the aroma of the fresh-baked bread. Don't you picture yourself leaning close and inhaling deeply...with your eyes closed? Why is that? Because it eliminates distractions. It lets us focus on the sense we're most interested in. Why just eye closing, instead of shutting down other senses, too? Because we can actively shut down our visual sense (by closing our eyes), but not the others (we have to stick our fingers in our ears).

Lex

10. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

The added benefit of 'his' eyes being closed, is he can't see what your hands are doing, until its too late :wink::evil:

11. Ty

Ty

It gets weird to be stared at during the act. But usually I leave my eyes open whilst his are shut and I just look around :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Beth

i guess it's more sensual?

ive seen couples before where one has their eyes open,the other doesnt,its creepy
    just thought i'd add that in

13. jazzrawr

I just do. XD
    It's like a reflex. It'd be awkward for me to open my eyes...I'd probably laugh, cause people look funny kissing with their eyes open, their eyes go all wide. XD

14. Beth

wouldnt you look a bit cross eyed too?
    duno what you'd be looking at that close tbh

15. Ty

Ty

Trees, Fireworks (at a firework display), the river, christmas lights, sunset, clouds, animals, people.. everything really :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Beth

we're missing so much :eusa_doh: lol

17. TheRoof

becuz that way u can really enjoy the moment!!!!
    i'd laugh too if i kissed someone with my eyes wide open lol

18. Nixon

so they don't have to look at the other person

19. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

lol, why would you be kissing them then?

20. HighintheClouds

GASP! You... Misanthrope!! Haha. That's kinda mean don't you think?