1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you consider "old?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by celeste, Aug 4, 2015.

1. celeste

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Me and my friend were having a discussion the other day, about what ages would you consider old. She said that to her, being in the 40s was old, and I told her that my parents are in their 50s and I don't consider them old at all. What do you think?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Retirement tends to be what most folks go off of, so your 40s or 50s for that.

Otherwise, it's whenever you feel old. As corny as that sounds.

3. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like the word old implies you are talking relative to something else.

In some situations, I would consider 30 old, but in other situations, I would consider 40 young. It's pretty hard to consider 100 to be young, but if you have a room of 110 year olds, 100 might be considered young to you.

If we're just saying in general what is old, eh in my opinion probably 70? But don't get me wrong, I've definitely called people in their late 20's old before in a friendly way :icon_wink (*hug*)

4. Yosia

Anyone remotely older than me. xD

5. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I consider myself to be old, because everything is going so fast these days, it feels like I've seen several generations go by in the past decade alone. Everything has changed so much from 2005...At least I now know the music wasn't as bad as it is today back then. I hate dubstep...To think that the 90's have now become the new 80's, and everyone cares more about remembering that decade now instead of the 80's anymore. (RIP 1986...you were my favorite year. :cry:)

6. Cider

13-19 Pretty dang young

20-29 Young

30-39 Still Young :wink:

40-49 This honestly depends on the person.

50-59 Getting Older

60+ Old

65,000,000+ Dinosaur

7. Xochipilli

30 for myself. 60s for everyone else.

8. The Wallflower

You're as old as you allow yourself to be! Age doesn't matter. :3

My grandpa is reaching his eighties, and he's such a ray of sunshine and happiness, you barely remember how old he is. ♥

9. Sky82

I thought turning 30 was going to put me in the old bracket, but I think I'm going more childish the older I get. But when talking about someone like the woman nextdoor, I call her the old bird and she's 69. So I'm going with late 60's early 70's. However it comes down to how the person feels I guess, plenty of 70 yr olds still party like they're still in their teens :wink:

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    18-24 = pretending to an adult
    25-39 = actual young adults
    40-59 = middle age
    60+ = old
    80+ = super super old
    90+ =how are you still alive

In my opinion.

My sister turns 30 next year so it's funny to call her old, but she obviously isn't. When you have prominent crows feet and don't have to worry about becoming pregnant, you're probably old.

#10 imnotreallysure, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  11. MetalRice

Anything older then me *laughs*

Honestly through, anything 50 and above; and even then age can just be a number depending on how well one takes care of onesself

12. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents are in their 50s now and honestly, they are starting to seem old to me. They did not seem that way in their 40s.

13. Lyana

Most people retire in their 40s? Damn. I need to change my career plans.

I think one of the oldest people I've ever met was only in their twenties -- and depressed, and a heavy smoker, and had had several loved ones die. Some things just make you old.
    My father is in his fifties and very young. I've met people who were past 70 that I would qualify as young.
    But, in general... 60 to me is not old, but 70 is. So somewhere in between those two.

14. Van

Van

It depends on the person and the way they carry themselves. For me, usually, old is 60 plus.

15. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This about hit it, age wise. But I know there are some people in their 60s who don't look or act like it. So it also depends on the person. It's a physical as well as mental thing, so how you act and carry yourself and how active you are.

#15 AsiaJ33, Aug 4, 2015
  16. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think anyone over 80 is considered to be old.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

M'hm.

I don't know about the rest of the world or even the United States, but around here, if you are able to retire at 40 you were a success. You did everything right, and now you can kick back and enjoy your financial harvest. If you retire at 50, this is okay too, it just means you wanted a little more financial cushion. But older than that, with some exceptions, it tends to be frowned upon because it implies you 'started late'.

Of course, I'm seeing and hearing more and more folks retire later, so that may shift in a generation or two.

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I've never met anyone in their 40s and 50s who is retired. I think here it's pretty much expected that you'll be working until 65, and for younger people it might be even later.

19. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here in expensive California, no one retires in their 40s except multi-millionaires.

The only person I know who retired in their 40s was CEO of some tech company who lives nearby. He owns 12 cars and 4 houses. That's what it takes to retire at 45 around here.

#19 Wallace N, Aug 4, 2015
  20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have.

Most of my uncles are retired. They did so between the ages of 40 and 45. They like to bring this up with the younger relatives, especially those who are working in non-degree positions. It's probably the one thing that the cousins can band together against, as we all hate hearing it, because it implies we're going to be failures. While I know better, I'm not so sure about the others, especially the much younger ones.

If you work until 65 around here, you'd better have a good reason. Either it's what you wanted to do, you wanted even more financial cushion, or you were head of the business and just couldn't leave until you were absolutely sure, the new hands were prepared. But even then, you're expected to retire early enough so that you can enjoy yourself, not sit on your ass and use your slave wages to pay off utilities. But that does seem to be what is happening for the up and coming generations, so we'll see...