1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in destiny?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PrettyPurple, Aug 4, 2015.

?

Do you believe in destiny?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. I'm not sure

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. No

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. PrettyPurple

A random question. It just came to my mind :slight_smile:

2. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I believe in choosing my own path, actually. If I had a destiny, it would make some of my life choices very confusing and oh my head hurts now...

3. Yosia

I believe that our world is destined to collapse but other than that nah.

4. PrettyPurple

But then if things were destined to happen we'd think we have a choice, but in reality no matter what we'd choose what was destined to happen would happen... it's very interesting

5. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my favorite parts of philosophy right there. But I don't believe in destiny, at least not completely.

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, i don't think "destiny" makes sense.

7. SonicBoom

I'm not sure.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea I do. :slight_smile:

9. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Our lives may be affected by some unknown force(s), but I don't think it's all ''written in the stars'' or anything like that. We are mostly responsible for our future.

10. PrettyPurple

Philosophy is fascinating :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2015 at 01:18 AM ----------

But then what about time? Do all the moments exist at the same time? Is time a line? Maybe we live in one moment, but all of the moments from the beginning to the end of the world exist at the same time, which would mean that what will happen is already "written"

11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    My signature, the text of which I wrote, disagrees to this and I disagree. I think most is preordained, by chance. However, calling that chance just chance or fate or destiny or whatever, doesn't matter. I think most is preordained by chance. But even so, I find that we can have a lot of influence over our own lives if we really try, just that we usually don't.

12. Formality

I never believed in "destiny" per se. However a few years ago I believed that everything was a result of the big bang or something else like a code for the universe that determined exactly what laws would govern it's existence. Then I got into physics in school and after I read about Heisenberg's uncertainty principle I was left with the answer that "destiny" does not exist because you can calculate the probability of certain outcomes in quantum physics. However you can never determine the exact outcome.

I obviously don't know enough about the universe to say "THIS IS HOW IT IS!" just like everyone else in the world cannot. However from how I understand the uncertainty principle I personally believe that nothing is predetermined and that there are an unlimited amount of outcomes.

But then again who is to say that we would ever be able to comprehend the reality of things from within our universe where the forces to this specific existence are acting. That is to say, just because we can calculate with the laws that govern our universe that there is uncertainty, doesn't mean that it is true for every matter of "existence".

#12 Formality, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  13. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see your point. It is true that a lot about us is determined by the circumstances that surround us, not only events but the way we view the world, but I still think that most people are able to at least decide a significant part of their life outcome. Either way we may never know for sure, it's like asking if we actually have free will or not.

If this theory is correct, then yes, but then again there's no way to prove it.

14. Van

Van

No! I refuse to believe that everything is predestined. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Aldrick

No, I don't believe in destiny. However, I am also what I would define as a loose determinist, and don't believe in free will either. Free will, to me, would imply that we have more control over ourselves than we actually possess. I don't think things are inherently pre-determined (hence why I define myself as a loose determinist and why destiny cannot exist), but I believe we are governed by probability. Us taking certain actions are more likely than others, and certain events taking place around us can alter that probability. Because we are governed by probability, it gives us the illusion that we have free will.

However, like I said, if we had free will we would have more control over ourselves than we actually possess. As an example, take someone who has a phobia of clowns or balloons. Clowns or balloons obviously aren't going to hurt them, their fear is completely irrational and they know this. Yet, they do not have the power to just turn it off. This is true for many of our other emotions. Yet, it is also true in more subtle ways as well. As an example, take the bystander effect. This is a huge problem, but it shows how the actions of others influence us.

[YOUTUBE]z4S1LLrSzVE[/YOUTUBE]

Or how about the pressure to conform to the group, which was proven by Ashe in his famous study?

[YOUTUBE]NyDDyT1lDhA[/YOUTUBE]

Or how about the infamous Milgram Experiment? (This one is actually not as bad as the original.)

[YOUTUBE]4b7YFtiE5EA[/YOUTUBE]

Or how about the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment?

[YOUTUBE]gb4Q20z0T1Q[/YOUTUBE]

And of course, there is much, much more. And none of this even touches on our numerous behavioral habits.

The sad truth is, we're not as free willed as we like to think. We are largely governed by probability, and that probability is influenced by a huge number of factors in our lives.

16. MetalRice

I do think there is some form of destiny.

17. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. I do believe that god is calling the shots, and somethings you've no control over while others you do.(!)(!)(!)

18. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes. Because of my weird dreams I keep thinking when something drastic is going to happen to me, what kind of person will I turn out, what lessons I need to learn to improve myself, etc.

19. C P

C P

...and it really can't come soon enough.

We're of the same line of thought though, with this.

20. Linthras

Linthras Guest

No. At best people are influenced by their genes and upbringing, but there's no evidence whatsoever for 'destiny'.
    Only coincidence and conformation bias.