1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervousness or restlessness? Something else maybe?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed something about myself. I always have to have something in my hands. Whether it's a pen, a paper clip, my phone, a stick, a piece of paper, anything. My hands always have to be busy. And if I don't have anything to "play" with then I tuck my hands into my pockets. If there are animals around then I pay extra attention to them, sort of like a distraction from myself (Taking attention away from myself). Is it a sign of nervousness, restlessness or something else? Does anyone else experience this need to always do something with their hands? I can't even go to the bathroom without keeping my hands busy, like by playing games on my phone or fiddling with the toilet paper, so I don't know what causes it or what it means :shrug: :confused:

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well not exactly but I find myself at times not being able to sit still and must do something.

3. CharlD91

CharlD91 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the same. I have a small smooth stone which I carry around in my pocket so when I feel the need to have something in my hand and there's nothing around I know when I put my hand in my pocket it's there for me. It keeps me occupied or calm. One of the two.

4. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can get like that too, but its not always my hands. Sometimes it's my feet or other times my thoughts. The last one is interesting because my mind jumps from subject t to subject and it can be tricky to focus.

Oh I have heard of fidget rings! They spin and you can use that to distract. My friend is in a similar boat and I know she used to carry a piece of rope around with her and she would randomly tie different knots.

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is called rapid cycling if I'm not mistaken. I recognize it because I'm bipolar and I often experience rapid cycling. My mind will be extremely busy, but if someone asks me what I'm thinking, there really isn't anything specific that I'm thinking about. My mind just jumps from one thought to the other, without one of those thoughts actually "settling" for a few minutes. It sucks because I sometimes lose track of what's going on around me because of my constantly cycling thoughts. Sucks even more if I have to take minutes at a meeting. I lose track of what they're talking about and end up just writing something that roughly describes what has been said. But there's no way I can get out of taking minutes, it's part of my job :eusa_doh:

Fidget rings sound great. I wear a thumb ring and I often fidget with it, so a ring specifically designed for that purpose would be "awesomerific"

6. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I feel that way too, but mostly because I have schizophrenia, which makes it hard for me to sort out thoughts and impulses.

It doesn't have to be a sign of anything, though, you could also just be a fidgety person or someone with the need for a lot of stimuli. I like the idea others had about fidget rings, or maybe a small gadget to keep your mind occupied. I remember my dad gave me a ball with a wooden ring around it that I could use to run around in my palms, it helped me tremendously to keep focus.
    Until I forgot where I had it, that is :lol: