1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you find it easy to shower in front of other people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CodeForLife, Aug 5, 2015.

1. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is something I've never been able to do. When I was younger, we would go swimming at this one pool and afterwards, there was a shared shower for everyone to wash off the chlorine. I always just kept my bathing suit on. I've never felt comfortable being nude in front of others. :icon_redf If I have to get fully undressed while changing clothes, then I basically just do this as fast as humanly possible.

I'm probably getting a little more comfortable in terms of I can have my shirt off for a little longer when changing at the gym, but I've yet to ever use one of their showers. A lot of guys just walk through the locker room nude from the showers. That seems strange to me.

However, some people, like my father for example, have never had an issue with this. He did used to be in the military, so I wonder if that comes into play.

What do you think?

2. NervousAsHeck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With a lover it's a lot of fun but in front of others no. Used to hate it in school which is the only real time I have experienced the group shower experience where I had to be naked....

I think part of this was it forced me to ask questions I wasn't yet ready to face though. I found myself having to fight checking out the guys. With a group of women I would have felt entirely self conscious.

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh. I never have, and never want to. I have trouble resisting checking girls out in real life, I'd be lost in a shower! Also, everyone knows I'm gay, and that would just make things 10x more awkward.

4. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never showered naked in front of other people. This was always something I heard about and considered old-fashioned. I can't speak for other parts of the nation, but here in Silicon Valley, I don't know a school where people still shower naked in P.E. I would not have been able to do it. I would've been the kid who refused to take his bathing suit off.

I've gone to camp and showered in my bathing suit with other guys, but everyone else was in one too. It was just assumed that you weren't going to take it off.

#4 Wallace N, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  5. NervousAsHeck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Doubt its true in many areas of the UK now either except perhaps in public schools. I'm twice your age though, or as near as makes no difference.

6. Cedar

One of the schools I went to had people there that would shower naked. The other girls didn't really mind since they were showering with other girls, though they would shoo me out whenever I came in with my bathing suit on for some reason... I've gone to other schools/colleges where they had showers there but they were mostly split off into private showers.

7. Xochipilli

Haha, hell no! Never found myself in a situation where I had to do it thankfully.
    Also, hated changing during gym. Too self conscious.

8. MetalRice

Never tried, so I don't know.

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had to shower in front of others for PE class and I always wanted the private shower. When I thought I was a female, I got used to the weirdness, but when I started questioning my gender identity I just couldn't do it.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've gotten used to it. Partly, it was because, like someone said, a person didn't want to be caught looking. I think that some people in middle school and high school P.E. who were ahead of their years seemed to use it as an opportunity to flaunt it. For everyone else, it was just something they needed to do at the end of P.E. class. I really think separate shower stalls is the way to go. I wonder if schools have gone this route. I know that most newer gyms and health clubs have.

11. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, not at all. If I have to shower in front of other people, I'm assuming that means that I'm in a locker room, naked, and surrounded by other naked men. I have enough self control to not stare and ogle, but if I'm surrounded by naked men, I am going to see some of them, it's inevitable. And if I happen to find some of them attractive, the thought of getting hard and the other guys figuring out that I find them attractive (and then having them possibly harass/beat me if they're homophobic) scares me to death. I'm nervous enough about straight guys being uncomfortable around me with our clothes on, and now our clothes are off? No, fuck that, I can't deal with it.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Never done it in like a locker room setting, and probably never will. Too self-conscious.

#12 AwesomGaytheist, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, it boils down to body shame. No matter what my parents say, they raised me with it. For me, we changed in gymn but never got completely naked. Still guys would flash others by putting their penis near the mirrors. I never looked because I was trying to be a "good little Christian boy" at the time. I hadn't come close to accepting myself. It got so awkward that I decided to change in the private little bathroom by the teachers' lounge after someone had taken my gymn shirt and thrown it in the urinal one time.

14. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm used to it, behind the curtains that is.... in front of other people, locker room setting wise, i wouldn't mind it. not that i ever done it before.

15. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't like it. I feel so awkward.

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Didn't have a choice at school or college. All of the showers were open and the teachers/tutors insisted that you showered after playing sport. You couldn't get out of it. I remember the sports teachers comments... "nobody wants to smell you filthy lot for the remainder of the day, so get stripped off and get showered now". I don't think many of us liked it at first, but we got used to it. Wouldn't bother me now.

17. blackhatguy

I was college PE, and I did not want to go to my next classes smelling like that. Showering in a college locker room when you're only 17 does incredible things for your confidence.

18. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank gods I never had to, the idea rather frightened me when I was younger, being naked around a bunch of naked ppl.
    Nowadays were I to, I'd have no problem with it, though this is coming from a person who would rather enjoy living in a nudist community.

19. guitar

Always hated it. I could have a 12-inch wang and have Ryan Reynolds' physique and I'd still be self conscious. I don't know why, I look decent enough naked but I'm still weirded out by it for some reason.

20. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG, absolutely not. Never. Not as a child. Not in school. Not at the gym now.