1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know if there is any prejudice against..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rudysteiner, Aug 5, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

Does anyone know if there's any prejudice against the LGBT+ community in places such as Thailand and other mainly Buddhist countries? I know Buddhism is accepting of all other religions but I wasn't too sure about their stance on this subject.

The reason I'm asking is that after I go to university at about 19/20 (English Lit and possibly Spanish if anyone is interested), I would love to get TEFL certified and teach English abroad and Thailand has always been up there at the top of my list if I were to carry this through. It's just an idea I'm sitting on for now though.

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section. If I have then hopefully a mod can move it to the appropriate section for me.

Saludos cordiales,

Joe.

2. Foz

Foz Guest

I was actually reading into this exact thing earlier today! Generally Buddhism is accepting of homosexuality and believe that all relationships - gay or straight, are often considered personal matters of mutual consent, if a relationship promotes the happiness and wellbeing of both parties, then it is positive and acceptable. The ones who are against it are at a local level as it doesn't descend from their traditional teachings.

3. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have been to Thailand numerous times. And they are pretty much accepting of LGBT. Particularly gay men or transsexuals. It's a cultural thing. I've talked to a couple of locals and some say that some families prefer having a gay child because they work harder than shall we assume hetero children (I don't know where they get the generalization). There are tons of shops there were gay or transsexuals are the staff. There is also some local belief or folklore regarding transsexuals, they have some local deity that can be described as transsexual.

There are open to the public gay bars there in the red light district and some even beside night markets. You can openly see transsexuals (or what they call in Thailand as Ladyboys) hand in hand with mostly European men walking in the streets, malls, etc.