1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have a problem with gay stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by walkerhamilton, Aug 6, 2015.

1. walkerhamilton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if this is just me or other people, but I can't really say that I have a problem with gay stereotypes.
    First of all, I feel like gay stereotypes came about because they are somewhat true.
    For instance:
    -gay people have higher pitched voices
    -gay people are good artists
    -gay people have good fashion sense
    -gay people speak with a lisp
    -gay people are flamboyant

There are many others, and even though I have some of these and don't have others, I don't get offended when people say these things to me.

I also don't have a problem when someone asks who the woman/man is in the relationship, among other questions that straight people ask gay people.
    Am I the only one?

What do you guys think?

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really, but I wish people would stop painting us all with a broad brush, and I guess it would be nice to see a little more diversity amongst gay people on TV.

3. Simple Thoughts

I don't mind gay people who fit into these categories, though it's a personality I'm not one to click well with myself.

What I hate is when the media showcases almost every gay person on camera as being that way.

Even on youtube it feels like everyone who comes out as gay fits into this stereotype and I just really want someone who isn't a walking stereotype on screen. That'd be lovely.

4. Emerson96

Emerson96 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second this, I don't have any of those stereotypes. I have no fashion sense or artistic ability unfortunately.

5. Simple Thoughts

I'm working on artistic ability because animation is fun and awesome x3

and I'm probably a lil feminine, but I don't really fit the stereotypes much...I think =/

6. Randomcloud

Yes stereotypes are annoying. While they may apply to some people, the people who they do not apply to can feel left out of the 'gay community' or invisible.

I know quite a few gay guys who do not fit any of the stereotypes you listed so there's an example.

7. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont mind at all. But I hate it when people use those stereotypes to guess someone's sexuality. There are diversity (like what imnotreallysure said) among LGBT+ folk and not all of us fit in that stereotype. I feel bad for those people who are accused of different sexuality just because they have one or two of those stereotypes.

And like what Simple Thoughts said, it would nice if LGBT+ famous characters would have traits that doesnt fit in those stereotypes just to show the world that we are very diverse.

8. Simple Thoughts

I'm still waiting for that t.v. movie character who seems like just another straight guy until some point like half-way through the movie where you meet his boyfriend and the movie doesn't go "OMG LOOK!" it's more of a "Whatever" attitude about it. They don't demonize or praise it. Just treat it like it's a normal thing, nothing to get excited or angry about. Ya know?

#8 Simple Thoughts, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  9. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heard of the lisp thing but yeah, that sounds accurate

10. Van

Van

Kind of! I hate generalizations when it comes to LGBTQIA's. It's not really a big of a problem, but I find it irritating when someone thinks that we all (gays, I mean) are the same way.

Who's the woman/man in the relationship is such annoying question to get asked. Like, bitch, neither of us, that's kinda the point in being in a same-sex relationship.

11. kyoujin

I fit a lot of them. Although I don't consider myself gay, the more ignorant of people would immediately assume I am, as I'm that stereotypical artsy, crossdressing flamboyant type.

It doesn't really bother me whether people think I'm gay or not, really. They aren't too far from the truth!

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Why would I? Stereotypes are absolute truths, you know!

LOL.

13. RainOnVII

Stereotypes are based on limited amounts of information. Sure, I get annoyed when a subculture is generalized, and like the starving-artists subculture out there (where you're also depressed/crazy, etc.), one subculture doesn't define who we are as a whole. You can be gay and have all of these stereotypes, or none of them. People are strange where some would be proud of being part of the group, and some would hate it.

#13 RainOnVII, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  14. C P

C P

I can understand the frustration of those who don't fit the stereotype(s), but what pisses me off most about the situation is how misdirected the anger, frustration, etc. is...toward those who actually do fit the stereotypes. Like seriously...it's the media that is so-called 'ruining your image', so why all the fem-bashing and "real man" nonsense directed at fem guys(in the case of 'masc/straight-acting' guys), etc.?

This isn't even to say that a vice versa scenario doesn't happen, but you'd have to be oblivious as all hell to not see that stereotypical folk(who, surprise surprise, are being just as much their true selves) are the ones who ultimately catch the vast majority of shit from this, despite it not being them who's actually brainwashing people into believing the obvious bs.

15. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't care much about most gay stereotypes. I don't match many of them, though I do have a higher-pitched voice, but I don't think it's because I'm gay. I've always suspected I may be lacking in testosterone in some way, but that's not something I've ever really looked into. Anyway, I agree with CP above that there's no need for "fem-bashing". You can blame the media for never venturing outside of the typical gay stereotype, not the people who happen to match that stereotype.

The only stereotype that I really cannot stand is the one that gay people are promiscuous or that all they care about is sex. It reenforces the idea that homosexuality is only about lust, not love, and it dehumanizes us. For that reason, I try to deflect from this stereotype as much as possible.

16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Nothing against the things that are considered stereotypes, just against the stereotyping itself.

17. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I must admit the "stereotypical gay" does annoy me. If we're talking about the flamboyant type with the loose wrists and constant need for attention, but that's because it annoys the heck out of me when someone has attention-seeking behaviour, not because I have a problem with them being gay or feminine.

18. Linthras

Linthras Guest

You do realise the above is not always done to seek attention? That some people are naturally flamboyant/physically expressive?

19. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes, I do.
    But to me, it just seems needy, or overly excessive, and it just strikes the wrong chord with me.

20. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't have a problem with gay stereotypes if it's not excessively used and the character in question is more than their stereotype (ie not a real 3D character who happens to be that stereotype but a character who is just flamboyant gay stereotype incarnate)