1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

college questions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so thinking of starting the core college classes like math science and such while I think on what I want to do.....can I take those online? do I have to take college if I like want to become an editor or something like that? I'm constantly being pestered to get my life together and do something other then be a lazy ass lol. still not sure what I want to do right now and I'm still trying to get a job as well...there is so much pressure its driving me insane!! any idea on what I can do to figure out what suits me? I like to read aka love it. I'm a somewhat gamer...someone told me to try being an artist but idk. its all just idk x.x any advice would be welcome!

2. Gen

Gen

You certainly can take the online. The best starting point would be to get in touch with a counselor at your local college and discuss the prospects of taking online courses at their school or colleges that are completely online if the local college is potentially overcrowded.

You do not need college to be an independent editor, but finding work without a social media presence or connections will not be near impossible.

What type of editor are you interested in becoming? Newspaper? Fiction? Internet? Etc?

3. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mostly fiction possibly Internet as well. Thinking of doing that. How do I go about finding the counselor for the college? Would it be okay to talk to my old school counselor about this since she's helped other kids with it or would that be bad since I'm not in the school anymore?

4. Gen

Gen

It would probably be better to reach out to a college counselor at some point because they have access to university databases and can 2/4 year course plans for you; but if you feel more comfortable approaching your old counselor than it might be a good idea to call her for recommendations of local colleges or college counselors.

Whenever you have a college in mind, you can visit the website and somewhere on there should be information to contact academic counselors. Some are fine talking over the phone. Some prefer to meet in person. It just depends.

I actually recently watched an interview by a fiction editor. Skip to 6:20.

[YOUTUBE]dxocezCTsm4[/YOUTUBE]

The information is very general, but the best advice I would give is to research whatever you can. There are plenty of editors with blogs that detail their journeys and advice so take advantage of it. Additionally, there is nothing more inspiring then listening to people who have the career that you seek so it is a good way to get motivated.

5. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ahh thanks! was also thinking of maybe being an artist but cant draw very well sadly....other then stick figures xD lol.