1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synesthesia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Berru, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Synesthesia is a crossing of the senses, so to speak. For an example, some experience it in colours, like they can hear/smell/taste them, while others assign personailities to numbers, words and sounds. Some have certain noises trigger the sensation of a smell, while others have certain sights trigger a sensation of taste. And so on.

Personally, I hear/feel/smell/taste colours as well as assign personalities to letters and numbers.
    (violins sound like golden silk while the letter 7 has a cheeky personality, for an example)

It makes music pretty interesting for me, as it triggers a wide span of colours in my head, but it can also sometimes make sensory input overwhelming.

It's a great tool for making art, though.

I was wondering if anyone else here has synesthesia?
    How does it affect you, and how do you use it?

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't have it, but my sister does. She sees sounds as colours. She actually didn't even realize that not everyone sees sound, she only found out like 2-3 years ago.

3. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been following a synesthetic for quite some time now - her name is Teal Swan. It's grown to be one of my favourite YouTube channels. She's got quite the insight I'll tell you that. I'd recommend you to check her out if you're interested.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I've never heard of this, but it sounds blue and amazing! Wish I had it.

5. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I have it but I get this weird thingwgere if I see people smoking on TV I can literally smell it, as if they're sitting next to me. I also have this weird thing where if I know a room is warm (not by feeling), it has a pink-ish hue to it and if it is cold it's more purple-ish. I don't think it's Synesthesia but I just wanted to add to the thread :slight_smile:

6. RainDreamer

I sometimes can "taste" a smell. Though not technically taste as in I can feel it on my tongue, just a very, very strong relation in my head.

Like, vanilla scent is sweet to me, but in a..uh..vicious, thick way that gave a lingering after taste? While chocolate scent is a bit more smoothly sweet, deep and rich. Citrus smell is sharp and tangy, not exactly sour, but not exactly sweet either, giving me a tingling sensation, but not exactly on my skin. Mint is also sharp, but crisp, and dissipate very quickly, and it gives a sensation closer to ice...but warm? It is a very weird sensation. Cinnamon is hot, burning, but gentle and somewhat bittersweet. Coffee is, strangely, sweet for me in smell, although with a little sourness in there.

Also, this applies to non-food smell too, since I noticed I have been giving a lot of food related smell. Like, uh,...sweat. Gross, I know, but it gives a lot of variation between people. Some people has coffee-like sweat - rich, and not so bad when being a distance away, some has bitter, harsh sweat, some has mellow but sour sweat, and so on. Flowers all smell sweet to me, although the level of sweetness varies, and some can has secondary taste/sensation like warm magnolia (only one I can verify atm, don't have much flowers around).

Would also work on some certain artificial scent like perfume, and I will tell you, some perfume taste like puke. I gag every time I catch a whiff of some of that anywhere. I can't tell the brand, since I don't use perfume much due to my sense of smell. They are all either too harsh, and sharp, and bitter (for male colognes) or too sickly sweet, and rich and thick (for female focus perfume). The only scents I use are chocolate and vanilla scent, one from yves rocher and one from body shop.

Anyway, that's enough for my experience. Though the sense of smell and taste are highly linked together, so I doubt this is true synesthesia.

P.S: I hate the scent of plastic. It is just like plastic. As in the taste. Neither are pleasant.

#6 RainDreamer, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  7. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I didn't realise it either, not until a friend wrote a blog post about talking about synesthesia and how her weekdays all had different colours in her head, and how music made her "see" colourful patterns.
    I was like "...Doesn't everybody do that?" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I've always strongly associated certain colours with numbers and letters, but I don't know if that counts. I do have misophonia though, which is apparently connected to synesthesia somehow.

9. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I might have it...
    I sense colours for tastes...

10. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, I read a manga called Soul Catchers, and it's actually quite interesting because the protagonist has Synesthesia as well as a couple other characters, but he becomes a conductor because he can see what's wrong with the sound.

It seems very cool, but I don't think I have it XD

11. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    since forever I have strong associations between numbers and colours
    and between letters and colours
    also days of the week have different colours

I only met one other person who has this

12. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That reminds me, I once read about a conductor who would yell at his orchestra to play the music "more green" because he had synesthesia :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have synesthesia, but all mine consists of is seeing the digits as being inherently colored. 3 is blue, 5 is purple, 7 is green, etc. So I see the number 357 as a purplish-greenish-bluish swirl. I also have "number form" synesthesia where I see a mental map of certain number sequences.

It really has no benefit to me other than being something cool I can tell people about. People are always so fascinated by it, even though I have perhaps the most boring form of synesthesia there is.

14. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha yeah that’s like exactly what happened with my sister. She was talking to her friend about a song I think and said she couldn’t stand it because it made an ugly colour and her friend was like ”...I literally have no idea what that means?” XD