1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Butch women or stems: How do you deal with people not being supportive of how u dress

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xxaquaxx, Aug 7, 2015.

1. xxaquaxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My mom is accepting of my sexuality but in the past year, I've been wearing clothes that they say are reserved for men. I've always hated how men are able to wear clothes less revealing than women (reason why I think street harassment exists).

But now that I want to try dressing differently, I don't feel like I have enough support, no butch friends, etc. I wish I was bold enough to go into the men's section of the store and ignore the stares and wear what I want to wear.

2. CyanChachki

Re: Butch women or stems: How do you deal with people not being supportive of how u d

You don't have to be butch to wear clothing specified for men. Many women wear pants, that was once worn by men only - all women had to wear dresses. In reality, no clothing should belong to a specific gender. It's fabric. It comes from the same machines, the same plant etc. Ask your mom to go out into a cotton field and ask her to point out which bushes of cotton are meant for men and which bushes of cotton are meant for women. I bet you she'll have a hard time figuring that one out.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Butch women or stems: How do you deal with people not being supportive of how u d

Correction: women are sexually harassed regardless of what they wear, whether it be something skimpy and revealing, or conservative and unappealing.

I honestly think women have way more options when it comes to clothes, actually, and many gender neutral products are geared towards female bodies.

No one blinks an eye when someone dresses tomboyish or butch, but going the other way? You're asking for stares, a beating, or worse.

4. Rancid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I haven't personally identified as butch or stemme before, but after a quick Google search, stemme seems to describe me well :lol: I'm not super butch but I'm certainly not the girliest girl around either, and my parents have been hassling me because of what I like to wear as well. I carry a very large "fuck you" kinda attitude, particularly when it comes to wearing whatever I want to wear, lol. And even then, it can still be difficult for me because it really is surprising just how much people can hate based on gender roles and stereotypes. But I keep doing it because it is ultimately what I like best and what makes me feel most comfortable. Anyone who doesn't like it can bugger off.

So really, confidence is key, and that can take time to build up. That's okay, you have plenty of time. Be true to yourself and you might even find yourself inspiring others to shed their own fears.