1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what are these people saying through Facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, I don't like Facebook.

Next, this is not a media question. It's about what message this specific profile setting might imply. I'd like your input.

I have a friend who married a man who is a dozen years older than her and had been married before with children from that marriage. Their marriage seems to have worked well over the years. They did not have children. They each have Facebook pages and I'm friends with both of them, but I don't really use Facebook much. I noticed that his profile page said "Interested in: men and women." That's the profile setting her husband displays. I don't know all the ins and outs of social media. Does this automatically imply he's bisexual or does it just mean he's interested in men and women on all sorts of levels - as people?

I have another friend from college. She married a guy who is only a few years older than her after college and is still married to him. During college, she would always wear tight jeans, was noticeably busty, was naturally in great shape, and wore her hair short, but was definitely on the feminine side. Her profile page also said "Interested in: men and women." She still looks very much the same and in shape. Does this automatically mean she's bisexual or, again, could it mean something else? Incidentally, her husband was good looking then and is good looking now. They have children, from what I could tell.

So, please give me an idea of what this "Interested in" means. Why would a married person indicate the information above if they're monogamous? Or does it mean they're not monogamous? I don't feel comfortable asking. I'm just wondering what to make of this "Interested in" setting when I see it.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It generally refers to sexual interest. Though... some people have mistakenly put up "interested in men and women" thinking it refers to friends, that's pretty much not what Facebook intended.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. I think that these people are very savvy and knew what they were saying then. The only thing that perplexes me is why, being married for so long, they would share that publicly since they are still with that spouse. Yes, it's transparent, but I'm not sure I or anyone else benefited from this information. Prior to this, my imagination never wandered about these individuals. Now I sort of wonder how they make their marriages work and integrate all their interests and needs.