1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a "gay" way to dress?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sashafr, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Sashafr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My way of dressing is to wear whatever the f**k I feel like whenever the f**k I feel like it. I usually wear like cargo work shorts and muscle shirts and my favorite deer hunting cap when its hot and dress in my various "emo"/ punk looking clothes when its cooler. Its two very opposite styles of outfits and I sometimes I get comment from people who know I'm gay saying something along the lines of "oh I never would've guessed your gay from the way you dress" when I'm wearing my work shorts and stuff but those same people don't seem to have a problem with me wearing an emo style of dress. Is this a common occurrence with any of y'all? Is there this assumption that some styles that make people less likely to guess about your sexual orientation?( not talking about trans people sorry y'all but I feel like that's a little more obvious only gay/lesbian/straight for this thread):bang:

2. kyoujin

It's bullshit. People can wear whatever they want. Gender, sexuality and age do not matter.

I am the opposite of you, a man who enjoys dresses, frills and makeup.
    In bygone eras of many countries, men have worn dress-like garments and makeup, and had their hair long. And they weren't gay.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People SHOULD wear whatever they want.

It seems that people have a clothing style and repertoire that works with their personalities. Since the clothing reflects that and it's you, go with it.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if there is or not. However, if there is, I really want to learn. Teach me obi wan kenobi, you're my only hope.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Fabulously.

6. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not trying to offend anyone, but just describe my current stereotype based on empirical data, which is likely invalid for many.

What I have seen in my area is that gay people are often more expressive in their clothes through bright or pastel colors, for example, pink pastel shorts with a t-shirt or shirt with a design. This is sometimes similar to alternative style but with brighter colors.

On the other hand, I was talking with a gay friend in the mall today and we saw a guy who fit the gay clothes (and supposedly haircut?) stereotype, but apparently my friend said he likely wasn't gay because these styles are now becoming more popular for straight folks.

I really have no idea though as my gaydar has never existed.. :confused:

#6 CodeForLife, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should dress how you feel comfortable
    Every person should have there own stile regardless of who they are

8. TMichealB

1 they we're mainly acts and 2 that was the lowest you could get(and depending on place still is and there is a technical way to dress gay but I don't think 99% percent dress like is so)

#8 TMichealB, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  9. kyoujin

I don't even understand what your saying. Type in proper Englaih please.

10. Lyana

There are stereotypes that ping some people's gaydar. Certain styles and colors. Something tighter than the usual for men, and being "neat" and knowledgeable in fashion is one. For ladies, it'll wearing men's clothes.

Stereotypes, of course. True in some cases, far from always true.

11. TMichealB

I missed a comma in there, (depending on the place still is), and there.... that's the mistake. The first part was going historical on what the person said.

12. Rancid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sort of thinking is largely based on stereotypes of course, although in some cases they may prove to be true. Just depends on the person. While there's no way to be absolutely sure about someone's sexuality aside from asking directly, I have been attempting to fine tune my gaydar a bit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I take clothing into consideration, but there's also mannerisms, the way they carry themselves, interests, hell, even their voice and the way they speak.. and even still, those all carry stereotypes behind them!

What could be a better indicator is eye contact... Personally, the way I like to dress tends to fit the stereotype of a more masculine style. I wouldn't be surprised if people assume I am lesbian, or are at least suspicious, when they look at me. I've had at least a couple girls roll their eyes at me in public. Other times--and these are the best times--I've looked at a girl and there's a strange sort of familiar spark there, where's it's like we just recognize each other and give a subtle nod :lol: no idea if that makes sense, but there ya go!

13. AlamoCity

I sometimes go through cycles haha, but they mostly represent my upbringing and not necessarily anything "gay," per se.

For example, today I wore some khaki shorts and a green polo and some Sperrys, but sometimes I'll wear some peach or pink shorts or a pink polo. In fact, I have three different pink buttondowns. I do have a lot of pastel colored clothes, but I don't necessarily consider them gay, per se. The cut and style also influences how it's considered by others. For example, a pink tank top with the word "DIVA" is "gayer" than a solid pink polo.

But, I also dress in jeans and button down from time to time, along with cowboy boots. Different occasions call for different forms of dress. But, because of the weather down south I prefer to wear chino shorts and pants because they're cooler.

14. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The only time I've seen someone dress "gay" must have been the time a (gay) classmate of mine wore a purple t-shirt with a winking giraffe and the text "deep throat" on it... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Other than that, I don't really think there's a gay way to dress.
    Sure, some might say they can tell a girl is gay if she dresses very butch or a guy is if he dresses femininely, but I've met plenty of butch girls who aren't gay, just like I've met feminine guys who are straight as an arrow.

15. Randomcloud

Yup.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha. True. I was extrapolating this to a snugly fitting pink tank top with the inscription "Provincetown" on it being worn by a guy with enormous pecs, biceps, and deltoids. That's not just radar subtly going off, but the waling sounds for a nine alarm fire.

17. Kenaria

In societies eyes, I dress gay. I love wearing skater shoes with super tight skinny jeans and button up/pocket t-shirts. I keep my hair and posture neat, etc. For a lot of people, they look at me and they think - oh he's gay. To other people, it's actually a surprise... but I always assume whomever I'm talking to knows I am gay. Anyways... dressing comfortably and how you like is all that matters. There is no "gay style" except for in Societies eyes.

18. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was sort of thinking about this this morning over brunch. We were in a large restaurant with large windows overlooking the street in a pedestrian neighborhood. I was struck by the number of people that, based either on really subtle social cues or the way they interacted with each other were obviously gay but who outside that context most people would never imagine were gay.

19. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Admittedly in the past there were what were considered stereotypical "gay" outfits. Men wearing paisleys and florals. Clothing (like jackets or shoes) with studs, crystals, beading, etc. Pastel colors in the "feminine" category such as pinks.

But those were archaic days. Today's fashion anyone can wear what they want. There aren't any set rules on what one should wear as assigned to gender. Paisleys and florals now appear in men's clothing like any other print a designer can think of. Dolce & Gabbana, Etro, Versace, Givenchy (with their new Baby's Breath) are good examples. Color and pattern mixes by Missoni or Moschino. Accessories and bags by Valentino and Fendi. During the archaic days anyone seen wearing what these designers now churn-out would have been stamped on the forehead as gay. Now we call them metrosexuals.

I am a proud metrosexual. I couldn't care less about other people's opinions. As I say the day I will get concerned about people's opinion on what I wear is the day they are the ones financing my shopping. Otherwise they can go f*ck themselves for all I care.

20. Cognac

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I hate that some people dress to fit a stereotype. It's not only done in this community, its done in many music communities etc as well. I think it's ridiculous that because you like one thing, you might feel a need to dress a certain way so that you can be associated with it.