1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"thats so gay"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SadConfusedBandGeek, Jun 4, 2007.

1. SadConfusedBandGeek

Lol I hate when people say that its so annoying!!

Just want to know if anyone corrects people when they say it??

I did twice today..someone on msn said I cant wait to get out of this gay town..
    I said...Gay doesn't mean stupid...stupid means stupid lol

And one of my guy friends today said something Like "thats gay" Or w.e and i hit him (not hard just a nudge) and told him not to say that cause its stupid lol

But ya Anyone do that?

2. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually I often say it myself, obviously in a kind of ironic way, it makes me laugh.
    I've even called my straight friends 'puffs' or 'fags' before just to see how they react...
    I realise some people take offence, but personally it makes me laugh :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. SadConfusedBandGeek

hehe I dont mind it UNLESS it is USED to mean stupid! cause gay DOESNT mean stupid! lol

4. ampthejazz

Usually when people do that around me, I just say "watch your language" or something like that.

5. Steam Giant

Heh, I say it sometimes too, and I usually use it to mean "complicated/complex!" Haha! This is even before I realized I was bi, hehe.

6. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol omg I say it ALL the time. "that's so gay" or "your gay" meaning stupid lol ahh it's horrible of me but it's such a hard habit to break. But in a way sometimes i'll say it to my friends and they'll respond "ur gay" and i'll just smile and say "yah i know". haha they still don't get the point though!

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just say, "And you're so fucking straight!"

Or you can say... what?! The town is in love with another boy town across the river?!

But seriously, if you start using "that's so straight" around them, I think most people will get the idea of how stupid it is to use gay as a synonym for stupid.

8. Phantomblade

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    usually ill kindly inform them the first time and every time after that i will get increasingly violent(!)

9. SpikySpice

Well, I nevar say it, nevar, not becuz taht I know waht that means, but I don't like it, when somebody says it, I just feel annoying, and I just wanna smack em on their faces, lol

10. GuitarGirl1350

I've done the call-thing-straight thing before. I get a kick out of it. It does bother me when people use gay in the condescending tone that they do, and I correct people for it. I ask them not to say it around me and politely and briefly explain why they don't need to use gay to mean stupid. I do tend to get irritated if I've told you 3246124616 times and you STILL do it, then I may be a bit snippier.

11. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use it sometimes, and when I do, I don't mean stupid, just stereotypically gay. You know, like if a guy does something very girlish, I think "that's so gay". But I don't use it in an offensive way. In fact, I've used it to refer to things I do.

12. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never say that and I get irritated when others do. Also, I've never corrected people who say it because I don't want them thinking I'm gay.

Christy, Jared, and I are all friends (I changed their names :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Christy is openly bisexual, and Jared never says "That's gay" when he's around a small group, such as just us three. I suspect he also never says that when only he and Beth are together, but I wouldn't know. Anyhow, Jared often says "That's gay" when he's in a big group including Christy and I. His two-faced-ness has infuriated me, but I may have (internally) overreacted.

13. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    GREAT IDEA...:icon_bigg :lol: :lol: :eusa_clap

14. xxAngelOnFirexx

I've been wanting to say 'that's so straight' but i haven't enough courage yet (i'm a bit shy in a crowd) but my sis said that she's going to start saying it. I sometimes will explain that if they are going to use gay as an adjetive than they are going to use it properly and say it to mean 'happy' not stupid.

15. JSG

JSG Guest

Not an issue in France...yet.
    I'm coming back to England soon, and I'll use the word "gay" instead of "gorgeous".
    hehe

16. xequar

It annoys me when people use gay to mean stupid, as well, and I'll normally point it out if I get the moment to do so. Luckily, it doesn't come up hardly at all with my friends anymore since I came out. One particular night, we were hanging out and one of my friends was spouting off about a comic book storyline when he made reference to it being so f--king gay. Before I had a chance to even say anything, one of my other friends, straight but an ally, said, "You know, now that [xequar]'s out, we really shouldn't use gay as an insult. Maybe lame or stupid, but not gay. I just kind of added, "I'd prefer that." It has only happened one time since then, and the moment he said it, the room got silent.

17. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want to add that I also dislike the wrong use of the word retarded.

When a rude customer at work called me that, I was more offended at her poor word choice than her intended insult.

18. SadConfusedBandGeek

OMG!!! i never thought about that...i dont say it as much now but i just realized i said it before!!

Geeez now i feel bad! lol
    Oops

19. Kimi

Hmm...I like that.
    Although I don't really feel offended when people say "that's gay" cuz I sometimes say that because it makes me laugh...don't know why though:confused:

20. justjoshoh

This was actually a matter of discussion at the Equality Forum - James Wheeler National Youth Panel. From the conversation at the panel, it is becoming a common reference in schools. I guess the reaction from the school depends on the awareness of the faculty and administration to the issue.

I've heard it a few times at work too, mainly from younger colleagues, and have asked that they seek a better exclamation.