1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working on cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joelouis, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Joelouis

I bought a little sports car early last year for a steal as it had many running problems and the owner just wanted rid of it as she had grown tired of it constantly going wrong.

I had it on the driveway for ages before beginning work on it.
    Now I've got it going, albeit still running rough.
    I'm going to change the MAF sensor and the coil and hopefully it'll be all done.

Anyone else like messing around on their car?

2. Jenna0780

I love it. I have a 350z that's been my tinker toy until I bought my xterra a few months ago. Although, apartment living doesn't provide much room for those sorts of things. Have fun!!!

3. Joelouis

Good for you Jenna!

I'm lucky enough to have access to a hydraulic lift so working underneath the car is easier.
    I'm just hoping these last two jobs do the trick so I can take it out with the top down and enjoy the very few days of our summer.

4. Foz

Foz Guest

Running rough? Yeah a V8 would totally solve that issue :lol:

5. juliegt6

I've got two Jaguars, a 1998 XJR sedan and a 2000 XKR convertible. Both have supercharged 4.0L V8s with 370hp/389ftlbs. I also have a 2004 Audi A8L which is a 4.2L NA V8. I do everything on all of them.

I'm debating replacing the XKR with an early Aston Martin DB9 Volante or keeping it and adding a Lotus Esprit S4 (I like the 4cyl cars versus the v8s). I might do neither and not too far down the line replace the XKR with a 2010 XKR with the newer 510HP SC 5.0L V8. I never know until I do stuff.

6. Joelouis

I take it you're a fan of British cars then?!

I changed the MAF this morning which took about ten minutes and so far so good.

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2015 at 11:49 AM ----------

A V8 would be nice, yeah!

Mines only a straight-six but it'll do for now.

7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love tinkering on cars, its a hobby of mine!

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to love VWs (old air-cooled bugs and buses.) Co-owned a VW shop years ago. Now, a friend is rebuilding his and I'm helping out. It's definitely fun... though I wouldn't want to be working on modern cards for a variety of reasons.

9. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sometimes the modern ones are easier since they tell you what has gone wrong, though electrical gremlins make other problems more challenging.

I also used to have vintage Volkswagens which I did most of the work on myself. Fun times.

10. Foz

Foz Guest

An I6 you say? Hmmm, is it a Z3?

11. Joelouis

Unfortunately, these gremlins played a big part in me mis-diagnosing what was actually wrong with my car.
    It pointed to the oxygen sensors, so I replaced both pre-cat lambda sensors. Then it pointed to a misfire, so in went six new plugs. I changed the fuel pressure regulator as I got a new one dirt cheap, along with a camshaft position sensor and exhaust position sensor.

Car still running rough and EML light showing.

Tried running it without the cat with no joy.

The new MAF seems to have done the trick for £62 but at least I've got a nearly new car now!

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2015 at 01:49 PM ----------

Correct!

And it's only a two-litre!

12. Foz

Foz Guest

I am a fucking ninja!!

Have you got an OBD reader? You can get them for well under £100 and that will tell you exactly what the issue is. It may be you have solved the cause of the rough idling but because the code is still stored the ECU may still be running rich. Although it may be worth finding a garage that can do a Terraclean, I thought it was snake oil at first but it works wonders. Subaru issued guidance to all dealers that if before any car undergoes warranty work for emissions, poor performance etc. it must have a Terraclean service first. It really is that good.

13. Joelouis

I did get a friend with an OBD reader take a look at it, but it only gave a rough idea as to what the problem was. He also found a split hose which was something to do with a vacuum?

I really wanted to fix it myself to be honest, and even saved money on a new radiator by drilling out the nipple* and re-tapping it and fixing a gas nozzle that the pipe attached to with the help of a jubilee clip.

I might even treat the car to a new set of wheels and a reconditioned roof.

* Sounds painful doesn't it?

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2015 at 02:44 PM ----------

Plus there is a garage that does terracleaning not too far from me so I might do that as the car isn't as nippy as I thought it would be.

14. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got my first car two weeks ago and already can't stop monkeying with it. It's a 2000 subaru outback. I plan on outfitting it for Dakar/Baja racing (two or three inch lift, front light bar, roof rack mounted with spare tire, etc.) although it's pretty much a guarantee that I won't race it. I would love to just have a car that will absolutely tear through New England snow and look badass doing it. Or I could take it hunting up in the Adirondacks with my dad and uncle.

It's undeniably ridiculous but that's what I like. Ridiculous vehicles.

#14 sunshinebi, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  15. Foz

Foz Guest

An Outback you say? If that's the route you want to go check out Subtle Solutions, King Springs, Primitive Racing and Rallitek :wink:

16. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'm in the right track then. My dad and I have been looking at king springs. They come highly recommended from Subaru forums and almost every Australian off-roading club. Apparently lifting subarus is pretty popular over there. Who knew?