1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward in person AND online

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ModernCat, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

Hi. Um. I'm not exactly a conversationalist in real life and online.

I never seem to know what to do with people unless I'm friends with them.

No one, even my friends, contacts me first and if they do it's such a rare occurrence.
    My older friends(who live in a different country) have equally busy lives as my new ones but they still say hi sometimes. It's new people that I'm having trouble with.

I'm always the one to text first, but the text convo is short lived when I realize that I have nothing to talk about. All the time. I'm always the one to try leading the conversation and it always seems like I'm forcing it. I don't like texting but I do it anyway bcause human interaction is important.

Funny in face to face convo, it goes quite well. I go out to talk to them, they go out to talk to me. Like how it should be.

As for my i-don't-care-about-your-little-life acquaintances, it's awkward in text and face to face convo. They snuggle up into their groups and all they talk about are the things I can't relate to.

Also the country I'm in is homophobic. One of the least lgbt friendly places in developed countries. I came out to some of my new friends and I'm not planning to do it to another person. My new friends are cool with it. one of them happens to be a lesbian!

As for my online life and interaction with strangers, it never goes so well. I'm an awkward convo starter. I made no friends over the web. I have paeticipated in online communities for pokemon fandom, art...etc. While others receive random digital art "gifts" from at least 5 people, I got none when I participated as equally as they did.

Now I like this community. It seems welcoming and feels like I can talk about the most random things and I know I won't hear things like "haha get rekt"

Sorry it got long. I needed somewhere to rant. Maybe I'm a less awkard person online.

#1 ModernCat, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  2. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there :smilewave

For what it's worth I don't think you sound too awkward. I can relate to not knowing what to say and usually having to text first though. Finding new people isn't easy, for me my closest friends kinda happened by accident if that makes sense, one I was randomly put in to live with and the others are his friends who happened to be in a study group when I walked by! Whenever I try to meet new people deliberately I never quite know what to do.

Yeah. Basically I can kinda relate, feel free to talk about whatever and someone here might share your interests!

3. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! I think part of the problem could be that the people you are friends with or are trying to talk to you don't relate to. Even if you guys were great friends at one point things can change and you may not have as much in common anymore. Try to talk to people and see what they are interested in and what you guys have in common that way you have some topics to talk about that interests both of you.