1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholic and Possibly Gay/Bi

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bubbles123, Aug 11, 2015.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So I'm Catholic. I don't believe that homosexuality is a sin or anything like that.

I've recently become more religious but I'm beginning to realize that kind of narrows my options for dating in the future. I mean I don't know any openly gay Catholics/Christians personally. I'd be open to dating anyone I like when I start dating but I'd kind of like to date someone who has the same religion as me so we have that in common. Is there hope for me to meet a girl who's into girls and shares the same religion as me? Also, one that is okay with the whole celibacy until marriage thing?

Are any of you openly gay/bi and religious or know people who are? Thanks.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bi Protestant/moderate Evangelical here. :slight_smile: I am out for the most part, but I still have moments where I have to be discreet because of family. Unfortunately...

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Catholic and bi, although not yet openly. My family are the extremely non-accepting type of Catholic but someday.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Catholic and openly gay.

5. metalchick

im catholic, and a homoromantic bisexual

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Openly gay, married and Anglican. My husband is a non-believer.

There are lots and lots of LGBT Christians - many on this forum. Some Christians may be into celibacy before marriage, but I never considered it necessary. You may limit your dating options if you do insist on celibacy, but that's a choice for you to make.

7. candyjiru

I'm bi/pan, and I am technically Catholic but more Protestant as that was how I was raised~ I think people are getting more open, and I think someone might not have a problem saving themselves for marriage, but they might already have had sexual experiences and just be chaste with you until you're married. I think as long as you're open to that and don't hold that against them, you should be fine ^.^v

8. Posthuman666

I was raised Catholic. It wasn't for me, but if its what you believe in, don't stop. Anyone who tells you homosexuality is a sin is wrong. There is no reason you can't be a gay/bi catholic.

9. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hehe, according to the church it's a sin... That's of course if you listen to the church, but if you don't then why call yourself catholic?... Idk.... But anywho, I'm
    Sure there are others out there that'll fit what you're looking for! :slight_smile:

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are definitely many openly LGBTQ Catholics and Christians out there, and many on this forum. Like Patrick said, the celibacy until marriage option is completely up to you, and you don't have to do it to be a Catholic or Christian. I just felt like saying that was necessary, as some people do think it's compulsory, and people like that tend to have a lot of self-loathing, which is harmful.

But yeah, there are plenty LGBTQ people who are religious.

11. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay (not openly) and Christian. I was raised Catholic but I dont feel like I belong in that religion... Or any religion I know... But I have a good relationship with God :slight_smile:

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes, there is hope. But I'm not going to lie to you about this, it will narrow your dating pool as you said. Not so much because a good number of LGBT members tend to have a more liberal or dislike approach to religion, but due to the fact most LGBT Christians tend to get snatched up fairly quickly, since they can be hard to come by.

Same as the above. But you'll find, ironically, folks who say same-sex relations that are okay by/in the Bible, may or may not agree with 'waiting for marriage'. But that's kind of the point, in that folks interpret things differently -- it's both the beauty and bane of humanity.

Openly? No, but I don't exactly hide it. I just see no need to confirm or deny it, as it doesn't work to my advantage. That said, individuals don't really think too much about me talking about 'non-manly' or emotional things. Folks just kind of expect that out of me, but that is because I'm that person who tells you the reality, not the fantasy, of the world we live in.

The bizarre thing is, so long as folks think/believe/presume I'm heterosexual, they don't care what I say in regards to LGBT issues. Kind of funny how that works...

My relationship with God is... strained. I used to ask and pray for things, but never received them. I had been told God works in mysterious ways, or that he answers prayers his way -- not mine. But when you ask God to take you away from your parents, to have somebody more appreciative and supportive, and it doesn't happen, you become bitter.

I used to want friends and even a boy/girlfriend, but these never happened. I wanted to be invited to things, but these rarely happened (and I was usually only invited if I showed up anyway or bullied my way in). That may, on the surface, appear selfish, but I just wanted one person to like me for me -- not what I can provide. The moment I stopped believing in and asking from God, is the moment my life began to improve. I developed real independence and a sense of purpose, hope really, because I didn't feel bound to somebody who may or may not like me.

And yes, I do believe, if God exists, they have their favorites. There is a reason I joke about being the Anti-Christ, as it would explain why I'm tolerated to live but receive nothing from the Heavens. But this is potentially derailing your topic, though I felt it important to provide context for my answers.

13. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oooo, that's a tough one.. I'm also a Catholic myself, & that's one of the toughest things, there are definitely lesbian Catholics but I'm not sure if they're easy to spot, the Catholic church is pretty strict about where they stand with homosexuality unfortunately, & for some people.. it's conflicting, & I'm not sure where you'd find someone, but I think there are some websites dedicated to LGBT Catholics, that's a place to start.. not that I have much experience myself, & I'm curious in terms of marriage, would you want to marry in church.. knowing the Catholic church's feelings on same sex weddings etc, just curious.. I'm not being negative in anyway, just wondering.

14. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Thank you everyone who's responded. I found your responses really helpful because there's no one in my church who's gay so I wasn't really sure if there were many gay/bi and religious people. I've recently been looking into this website called gaychristian.net and I was thinking that could be a place to start once I figure out my sexuality? Anywho thanks for all the advice and insight!

15. Covalent

Covalent Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm bisexual, transgender and Christian, although I'm episcopalian, and we're one of the most accepting Christian-based religions.

16. FootballFan101

Catholic and (not openly) trans and ace although catholics here in Ireland are 10x more accepting than in America!