1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you take a job that conflicted with your beliefs if unemployed for a long time?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Aug 13, 2015.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would you take a job that conflicted with your beliefs/morals if unemployed for a long time? When I say long time, let's say about a year plus.

For example, would you be willing to work for a prosecutor who routinely moved for the death penalty while you opposed it? Or if you were pro-choice and had counseling experience and the only the job available was a job at a crisis pregnancy center, would you take it? Or if you opposed vaccinations and you had a job available that was encouraging people to vaccinate, would you take it? Or if you supported vaccinations and the only job was making outbound calls(and you were in the call center industry w/ experience) for an anti-vaxxer advocacy group, would you do it or pursue it?

Let's try not to go down the rabbit trails of the issues themselves and stick to "yes" and "no" and why or why not answers. I don't want this to turn into a flame/insult fest. Thanks.

2. MetalRice

Re: Would you take a job that conflicted with your beliefs if unemployed for a long t

If I needed a job, then yes; I would.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Would you take a job that conflicted with your beliefs if unemployed for a long t

No way

4. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Nah.

5. HelloSweetie

I don't think I would.

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

While I'm a big fan of financial stability and having enough for a roof and food on the table, I also have ridiculously strict moral codes (for some things, less on others, but that's going to take a novel length post to get into).

So it really depends on the job and how much I need the money to support myself or my family. But I'll say probably not.

7. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

NO, there are certain things in life that money can't buy. Including selling out your beliefs. Well in my case at least. It all boils down to one thing, although you have a job at the end of the day when you go home, you lie down on your bed and think about your day. You'd end up hating every single minute of it, you'd end up hating yourself. Repeat that for the rest of your days and you'd end up miserable.

8. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It would depend on if I had anyone else to provide for or not. If it were just me, then probably not. Otherwise, it would depend on the circumstances.

First of all, it would depend on how and to what extent this job conflicted with my beliefs. Then, apart from simply getting by, I would have to consider how this employment would affect me and those around me, both short-term and long term. How big of an impact would this employment have on my mental health? Would I still have the energy to spend time with those around me? Would this job give me a reputation which would affect them negatively? Would this job affect my ability to get another job in the future?

The options would have to be slim for me to take such a job. However, I think it's difficult to say until you stand there.

9. Yosia

Nope.

10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't think I would. That clearly would be a job I wouldn't be happy in long term, so I would only end up back where I started. :slight_smile:

11. Ashley2103

Depends on the job.

12. AlamoCity

I would basically say yes, but only to use it as a stepping stone for a different job ASAP. Put in the requisite time and then start looking for a new job. It's easier to get a job when you already have one, unfortunately. There does seem to be a slight bias against the long-term unemployed, so I would try to remedy that by taking such a job to get out of the rut. Of course, it couldn't be anything really bad, like borderline illegal/unethical.

Those who say they absolutely wouldn't (with no qualifiers) maybe haven't been in such a situation.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Definitely not. I could always get a job waiting tables at an independantly owned restaurant where I got along OK with the owners; not the easiest work, but can be very decent money. I just can't see working for a place that was so far afield from my core human values.

I work at a University Library at the moment; couldn't be more liberal and diverse. Well, it could be, but they'd have to try really hard :slight_smile:

#13 HuskyPup, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family

Honestly it depends. Assuming that i'm unemployed for over a year and haven't been selective (ie even mcdonalds wouldn't hire me) then yes. However: If I was being selective, i'd rather find a lower paying jobs than take a job that contradicted my moral compass. That's exactly why I wouldn't want to go into something like cyber crime. Sure i'm sure i'd like it and would help people but I wouldn't be able to do a job that is highly against my ethics.. It would be hard to sleep at night. I mean sure you have to survive but everyone draws the line somewhere. So if you're anti-death penalty, are you going to get the job of executing people just because it's the only one available? Hell no...

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Could I? Yes.

But would I? That depends on the likelihood of me advancing, or what benefits exist. If I play my cards right, I could reach the top and change the rules. Now, not only am I leading but I am also eliminating the moral conflict.

I'm too ambitious...

16. thepandaboss

That honestly depends on how much their values would interfere with my job. I could maybe work for say, a company owned by really religious folk. But could I work for a company that, maybe, had me write anti-gay propaganda? No.

If it counts, I did work for a client who provided customers with kinda shady, too-good to be true financial products. Over night credit repairs and "shelf corporations", that sort of thing. After a while I knew they were scamming people. Stuck with the client for a couple months and then I found new ones to replace them.

17. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

If I were truly desperate, I don't know. I haven't been in that situation so I can't say how I would react. I do know that I would find it very difficult to work for someone who opposed my values, and if they directly supported causes that harmed people I care about, then no, I would not work for them for even a minute.

18. Gen

Gen

Why work for conservative republicans when I could work those poles? Working with what God gave you never oppressed anybody!

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Aren't most conservatives always blowing tax dollars in places with poles? Sounds like you'd be getting two birds with one stone.

20. Gen

Gen

You can bet that everyone will be blowing dollars when I'm on the pole, honey! :icon_wink