1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you get as your first tattoo?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rudysteiner, Aug 13, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

I'm getting my first tattoo in a couple months, once I turn 18, and was wondering what everyone else had gotten as their first tattoo, if you have any.

I'm thinking of getting something literary themed. Something visual immortalising my favourite book, or something like that. Not a quote or anything like that, but something personal to me which I associate with the book.

So.. What did you get for your first tattoo?

2. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I got the phrase "Extinction is Forever" on my ankle.

3. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That sounds like a lovely idea :slight_smile:

I don't have any tattoos, but I always imagined my first tattoo would be something symbolic too, possibly something that symbolized the constant flow of changes we go through in life. (like something that symbolized the sayings "nothing is constant" or "it will pass")

4. rudysteiner

After reading that a few times, it's actually quite powerful. I love it! I'm going to start at my ankle I think and work my way up the leg.

I love the saying 'It will pass'. It's so ambiguous and open you could do absolutely anything with it. Amazing idea.

Thank you both!

5. KayJay

I got a bear paw, I think I've mentioned it on all the tattoo threads we get around here. I hate that picture of it but it is the only one I have of it on EC. Maybe I'll upload a better angle sometime.

It has like 3 different meanings, which I use depending on my relationship with the person who asks what the tattoo means. Sometimes I tell people all three or only two, or just one! The most personal meaning for me is that it represents my strength and fortitude that it took to come out and start transitioning. The simplest meaning of my tattoo is to signify my passion for bears. The last meaning is a bit more on the spiritual side, there is a saying that goes: Death comes from over the left shoulder. I honestly forget where it originates, I always remember reading it came from a Native tribe but I forget which tribe. So the tattoo of a strong animal placed on my left shoulder will help ward death away should it come for me.

[​IMG]

I'm planning to get another tattoo by the end of the year. Another bear paw which will be drawn by a close friend who helped me SO much during the beginning of my transition. The digital pads of the paw will be his finger prints. Just a way to celebrate what he has done for me and always remember him as a friend.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first (and so far only) tattoo is a triskele on my left wrist. My next one, which I hope to get before the year is over if I'm financially well, is a koi fish on my right leg.

7. MommaB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first was the Route 66 symbol (while I was on rt 66), and the next day I got my son's name written between 2 angel wings as a memorial for him and his 2 siblings that we lost to miscarriages.

I am currently waiting for the inspiration to strike me for the third.

8. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I attempted to give myself a tattoo of a roman numeral style X on the inner side of my right ankle when I was 13, but I suspect I didn't go deep enough as it quickly scabbed and flaked off/faded away within a couple of months.

9. rudysteiner

I love the triskele. I'd love one on my back between my shoulder blades, once I'm a bit buffer. I have always been in love with Koi fish, for as long as I can remember. There is a pet shop about a mile from me, which about 20 years ago used to be an old swimming bats, but the current owners bought it, kept the pool in, and modified it so the fish could live in there. There's thousands. You can feed the fish in there, too, for 20p. Whenever I go, I'll say 'I'm just going to Lister Drive for a new ball for Murphy (our dog)' and would go and feed the fish for a bit. I'd love to convert a shed someday into an indoor Koi pond with some adult Turtles too. Butterfly Koi are my favourite.

I think tattoos are a beautiful tribute to loved ones. I love the idea!

10. peachwad

Out Status:
    A few people
    I got my first tattoo at 16, it's a title of a song by Peach Kelli Pop "badd news"
    It's not very good considering I did it at home :eusa_sile :icon_redf

11. Lipstick Leuger

#11 Lipstick Leuger, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  12. africanFlower

i sadly dont have a tattoo yet, but i want one on my upper arm of a dream catcher simply because i am obsessed with them

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thinking about getting a dragon koi fish, but I'm not sure yet. :slight_smile: It was that or a crow (as a tribute to Brandon Lee and my love for The Crow), but I figured it would be too dark and be hard to tell what it is from a distance.

14. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first tattoo is pretty cliché. A Chinese symbol for dragon - I was born in the year of the dragon :grin:

I've thought about covering it with something better but for now I'm cool with it. I mean, I've had it for 8 years now. It's on my right ankle, so I don't see it too often. Though it has meaning behind it, it wasn't well thought through. I knew I wanted a tattoo but didn't know what to get. So I paged through their file and came across the Chinese symbols and impulsively said, "I want this one". The only reason I haven't done a cover up yet is because I don't know what to cover it with. And I don't want to have to cover up my cover-up, lol. I thought about getting a rose but that's also cliché. I want something that's mostly unique.

My advice to you, and anyone else looking into getting inked for the first time: Print out a picture of what you plan on getting. Put it somewhere where you'd see it everyday, like on your bedside table or something. If, after two or three months, you haven't gotten tired of it then by all means, get yourself inked. I wish I knew about this with my first tattoo. I've done that with my second and third tattoo and so far have no regrets. They both also have personal meanings to me so I doubt I'd regret them. That said, I don't REGRET my first tattoo, but I'd like something nicer, something that doesn't need to be explained... Lol

15. Midori

Out Status:
    Some people
    When I'm older, I want to get the Japanese symbol/word for freedom to signify that I'm free to live my life, wear what I want, and be who I want to be without someone making those choices for me. I'm thinking of having it near my shoulder blade or somewhere around that area.

If I ever do plan to, as a second tattoo, a pair of overlapping wings (I guess..it's what I saw in an anime and I've loved the design.) Maybe a bit below the back of my neck, so about between my shoulder blades. :slight_smile:

16. rudysteiner

My Dad has - or had, I don't know - the Chinese symbol for Dragon at the top middle of his back?? Don't know how to describe it. If you wanted to cover it up and stay with the dragon theme, why not get a badass dragon tattoo to cover it and take it further up the leg or onto the foot?

I did the thing where you put a picture somewhere you see it every day a few months ago with an elephant, got sick of it, and immediately printed out another pic after I took it down, of what I'm thinking of getting and it's been there for about 8/9 weeks solid and I still love it now. I'll give it a few more months, go for a consultation and then see where it goes from there. (!)

17. Aviator182

My one a only tattoo is a replica of my wings I got when I became a pilot. ( Had to where a uniform at the school I went to) It's on my left side of my chest.

My advice is to check out a couple different tattoo shops to see what place is going to work out for you. Also, talk to people that have been to the shop to see if they would go back.

18. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine is Freya, and her Wild Cats Bogi and Thofinar pulling her Chariot across the sky on my left bicep.

19. rudysteiner

I'm going to be honest, I don't know who they are but that's sound so fuckin' cool.

20. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She is the Norse Goddess of war, and her Wild Cats' stare turn her enemies to ice. The artist that did it is absolutely fantastic. I'll post a picture of it if ya want to see it.