1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People you look up to

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Aug 13, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What idols/role models do you have, and why? How have they helped you?

For me, it's Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance. Their music has just helped me through so much, and his personal story of getting through numerous hardships just struck a chord with me. It was the first band I was really into, and I find their messages to be inspiring. Finding out that Gerard also identified with the female gender was icing on the cake. :slight_smile:

2. MetalRice

My mom, she's an inspiration to me; and helps guides me through life with her wisdom and knowledge.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my biggest role models is Jerick Hoffer (aka Jinkx Monsoon). He got me through one of the worst moments of my depression before I came out, and he's my namesake.

4. greyboy

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, the people I look up to most are confident, intelligent voices in the queer community who seem to rub their confidence off onto me when I'm near them. They make me happy and I love it. These people are usually glad to give advice, too, which is great.

5. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say my brother because he's always been what I wanted to be. He was headboy and Dux at his school and I always dreamt of being just like him because he's literally good at everything and also really kind and brave .etc
    But he has depression at the moment and it means that he isn't really being himself. I know he will get out of it and we're going to get him counselling but right now I wouldn't want to be him.
    Other role models for me are Malala Yousafzai (Pakistani teenager who stands up for women's rights), Joan of Arc, Harriet Rowland (girl with cancer who was basically incredibly kind and optimistic), one of my friends who had cancer and is in a wheelchair, and a tonne load of fictional characters! There are heaps of other people I admire too but those would probably be the main ones. :slight_smile:

6. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only people I ever look up to are those in positions I want to be in, like successful authors with good work ethic. Say what you will about Stephen King, but he's never given two damns about it and has written consistently for ages while enjoying a complex relationship with it.

I've also been reading and listening to Asimov, and I'm pretty impressed with how many books he's written, how many topics he's written about, and how flexible he is with concepts in his stories. I don't write much science fiction, but I kind of want to self-study in a couple topics--if I ever had that kind of free time.

I'm mostly impressed by people who are learned in different areas and use it all to their advantage, especially if it defies new convention that you're either artsy/musical/emotional/etc or mathematical/scientific/logical/etc. I was amazed to find out that the lead singer in a punk rock band I used to like, The Offspring, has a master's in molecular biology.

#6 Matz, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  7. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if its my sheltered life or the fact that I have nobody that I consider friends, but there is absolutely nobody I look up to. The standard I hold for whom I want to be or anything like that is simply one that I've placed upon myself. I'm certainly by no means perfect, but I know that I have very sound morals, ethics, and integrity.

8. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My cousin is my idol, though he doesn't know it and we rarely talk. He is trans ftm, and he inspires me to be myself. Every morning he posts a Facebook post saying that it's a beautiful day to reach your goals. He's so kind to everyone, too

9. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

For me, the person I look up to is Art Spiegelman, the writer of the award-winning graphic novel Maus. He and his book were a couple of my initial inspirations for me to start writing my own graphic novel, which I'm still working on.

10. Ryu

Ryu

I gotta few...
    Kurt Cobain (excluding the whole suicide thing), because of how he both made great music, but also actively fought homphobia and racism.
    Are we allowed cartoon and animw characters here? Because if so, Zuko from avatar, because though he starts out as the main anatgonist he does right three(?) generations of warlike fire lords and basically saves the world. Sure he couldn't of done it without help, but in my opinion he dose way more than Aang.

Kaiser, need I say more.

11. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I look up to my parents and grandparents a lot. I respect them deeply, and I try to suck in their wisdom as much as I can.

When it comes to fictional characters, I look very much up to Ayla from the 'Clan of the Cavebear'-books. Sure, she has her flaws, but no matter what life throws at her, she gets right back up and adapts, only to come back stronger and wiser than before.
    She's a strong and intuitive woman, surrounded by people who accept her for who she is despite of her past and flaws, and I would love to be like her.

To answer the question "how have they helped you?" Well...
    My parents have helped me by accepting and loving me, as well as giving me endless chances no matter how many times I've failed at even the most basic attempts at succeeding (and adulting).

'Ayla', the character from the book, has helped me by making me realise that instead of fighting back or fighting situations too much, I should let things play out and make sure I adapt to survive, coming back stronger and wiser.
    And by showing me that love and patience is important. I also got that from my parents, so the book can't have all the credit.

12. Acm

Acm Guest

Same here. He was also a big supporter of gender equality.

13. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zuko was my favorite character from ATLA, he was IMO the most complex and interesting character, and I loved his story ark.

14. Posthuman666

Anna Varney Cantodea. She is a trans woman, and the singer/only member of Sopor Aeturnus and the Ensemble of Shadows. She is my idol. Otherwise, Julie Vu/PrincessJoules, and Anton LaVey, founder of the Church of Satan. Im not a satanist, but LaVeyan Satanism as a guideline of life is one I hold, while still worshipping my gods.

15. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ahh Zuko, how I used to have the biggest crush on him as a child. I loved Aang, but Zuko....just he was so beautiful!!!

Anyway, my idol has to be my friend. She's older than me and is joining the army right now. She's lesbian, and I've always loved her as a sister. I was having a tough time last year and I started to cry secretly. This was when I was in pain and used to hide it(The issue was not lgbt related though). She was the one who came in to find me and helped comfort me. She told me her big secret that no one else knew; she was a lesbian. I was very shocked, but I was already surrounded by lgbt people back then already(mainly online), so I wasn't mean to her or anything. She said that it was very hard for her to come out to her mother, so she used to write things down on a piece of paper. Then, she used to burn those papers and never saw it again. This helped me a lot and after that, she became my sister-type person. We were friends and she helped me out, and I admired her.

My other idol is Ruby Rose, because she's absolutely amazing and of course gorgeous.

Oh and Shane Dawson, Tyler Oakley, Troye Sivan. And any Transgender, Demiboy, Genderfluid, Lesbian, Homosexual youtubers. I've seen some of them, but I forgot the names of the usernames. There is one that I remember Ty Turner. Check him out! I'm pretty sure this is his one year on T.

#15 ScaryClosets, Aug 15, 2015
  16. kyoujin

I actually, in all truth and seriousness, look up to the person I love.

It is a strange love, one akin to the romance of Louis and Armand in Interview With a Vampire (the novel).

A mixture of deep care, as one would for a romantic partner, physical attraction and strong admiration.
    He is everything I want to be. But he is also more similar to me than anyone I've ever known...
    He is my mentor, and my ideal lover and friend. But he is also an almost perfect image of what I aspire to become.

Ah, look at me, getting sidetracked with my silly hopeless romance.

17. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see cool personality traits in many real/fictional people and I'm inspired to do better. It's difficult to pinpoint one person as the source of most of my inspiration. Koei's version of Lu Bu, would be high on my list. He mowed through entire armies, and I found that somewhat therapeutic during the worst time of my life. The first game I played in the series was Dynasty Warriors 4.

18. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In real life, there's nobody I know who I look up to. I mostly look up to the person I want to be- that probably sounds narcissistic but it isn't.
    Nobody in real life or fiction that I know really stand out to me. It's not that I don't love people, it's quite different. But who I want to be is not anybody I have met in person.
    I do have a few role models, and they're on EC. It's probably going to be super embarrassing to admit, but...I look up to BrokenRecord, because he just seems so smart and honest and Kaiser because she's extremely funny, badass and intelligent. I have yet to meet someone like that.
    I look up to intelligence. Not someone's IQ or GPA or whatever, no. I suppose wisdom would describe it better. Someone who has opinions, but respects others. Somebody who does not judge based on a small part of you, someone who is respectful, caring, and wise in general. And when they give advice, they don't invalidate what you're asking for..it's kinda confusing and I'm probably wording things incorrectly, but those qualities are what I look up to. A good sense of humor is always nice as well.

19. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The pro wrestler Konnan who entertained me so much amid a crisis I had in my childhood. I loved his matches and his rap songs, and I wore his shirt to school. All of us would imitate his catch phrases in school, and he was my idol. And I loved his voice...he just sounded so cool on commentary. Just a funny, entertaining, and lovable guy.

Fidel Castro and Che Guevara - Reading Che's books changed me so much. Fidel Castro is an inspiration of what a national leader should be, unlike any United Snakes president who are just greedy corporate shills. They are my examples and I'm so thankful for the influence they had on me.

20. Aviator182

I have a few people that I look up to. All for different aspects in my life. I look up to my mother for always being there for me and raising me to be the person I am. As a single parent she managed not only bringing me up to me the best that I can be, but she also had/has a successful career while raising me. She sent me to the best schools and paid for my college education. I only hope when I do come out to her that she still is there for me and accepts me.

My "role model" for my professional life would be R.A. "Bob" Hoover. He was a World War 2 fighter pilot, test pilot and air show performer. He always had a passion for flying and in the 1930's when he started he would get airsick every single flight. He overcame this through hard work and determination and went on to be one of the best pilots of all times. He shows that when you put your mind to something you can accomplish anything you want no matter the obstacles you have to overcome. If you ever have a chance check out his book, Forever Flying.

My role model(s) for my personal life would be all of the people that have had the strength to come out and be them selves. It's something that takes courage. They've showed that you can still be your self and have people accept you for you. They paved the road and give guidance for those of us that are still hiding. Their stories give me hope that I to one day can be true.

#20 Aviator182, Aug 15, 2015