1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different places, different degrees of openness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Connorcode, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

To clarify, I'm talking about how open LGBT people are in different places - will they hold hands, kiss in public, etc - not about people's differing opinions on LGBT issues in different areas.

I'm asking because I'm on holiday at the moment in rural Germany and for the first time ever, I've seen publicly open gay couples (at least 5) and I've been checked out by a guy (! (!)) - the guy wasn'the hot but, eh, you can't have everything perfect first time! Though where I'm from is LGBT-friendly, neither of these things have ever happened to me there, unfortunately.

How have you experienced this? Have you been checked out more in a foreign country than in your own?

2. kyoujin

Germany is a very tolerant country. That is one of the aspects that draws me to it.

But the display of public affection and the like, does not necessarily depend on the society's tolerance of gays. It is for the most part, a matter of culture.
    There are countries that do not condone public affection, wether the couple is straight or gay.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't say I have been to a foreign country other than Canada, and that was 14 years ago. I wasn't completely out to myself by then by a long shot.

I will say that I do and have changed my public displays of affection depending on where I am. Being in one of the most homophobic and closeted counties in metro Detroit, I don't show that much affection at all. My ex carried around a purse, and I was really worried for my safety at first around here.

In the next county over, I feel fine holding hands at least in 2 of the cities. One is more of a hot spot for young LGBT people and affirming people. The other is where some married gay people live. Even though neither of these cities can be labelled a "gayborhood", I would call both of them LGBT friendly.

4. lemons123

I think Germany is overall OK. But you may also try San Francisco, US?

I have one 'semi-story' to tell about Germany, which makes it slightly more homophobic place than you think but again - it's liberal and gay-friendly yes.

5. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I agree with lemons123, there are some places in Germany that could be deemed quite homophobic. Most LGBT Germans are not out at work, and in many places are not so comfortable holding their partner's hands. Since violence is really frowned upon in Germany, it doesn't stop the disapproving stares. I can think of the southern areas of Germany being more traditional. When I was visiting Berlin and Köln, they were much friendlier and no-one would even bat an eye if you're with your partner.

It's quite similar to Switzerland, the south is a lot more conservative than the north. Nevertheless, gays are a lot more accepted than foreigners/Swiss from migrant backgrounds.

6. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am originally French but have lived in a couple of countries ( Spain, Italy, America (Florida) and Australia) and while it wasn't always when I was openly bi I think I can give an insight on most of them.

France is pretty divided on the ''gay-marriage and adoption'' debate (even though Gay marriage is now legal here) but I would say that most people and cities are gay-friendly. There tend to be a gay area/neighbourhood in most major cities with a few gay bars/nightclubs and you can observe quite a fair amount of gay couple holding hands or making out and nobody seem to care. You need to be cautious that while French people are pretty open minded and accepting of gay people there are still a fair amount of homophobia (especially towards gay men) due to religions and therefore would be warry of walking in certain areas of certain cities holding hands with another guy if I was one myself, unfortunately.

Spain is most definitely the most open-minded country on a LOT of issues and probably the most accepting of LGBT people in Europe and that's a big part of why I am in love with Spain. Probably haven't met as many openly gay, lesbians, bi, trans people in Europe as I have in Spain and I find it absolutely AMAZING. Not to say that homophobia doesn't exist there but it's rather minimal.

Italy, well I have only lived in Rome so as a Capital and international city it tends to be accepting but not sure about the rest of Italy as there is still a big amount of devoted Christians that may still condemn homosexuality. I haven't seen that many gay couples there but yeah.

America: Well I was in a small town of southwest Florida where some people still walked around with the confederate flag, I was expecting a lot of discriminations towards a lot of people (black, gay, hispanics etc...) and was surprised to find most of them to be amazingly accepting, welcoming and nice. It's actually where I started to accept my bisexuality and while some people where curious to know if I was dating a certain girl they all seemed to be thrilled and totally fine with it if that happened to be the case (which it wasn't) , I probably was lucky though as there seemed to be pretty bad areas.

Australia : I would say Australia is a country that is very mixed on the question. Most major cities such as Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane seem to be very accepting of gay people with Gay neighborhoods/ streets etc... but rural Australia seem much more close-minded in regards to question. I lived in Sydney and while people in Sydney are accepting of the LGBT community I only saw one gay couple holding hands at day time in my year there, not entirely sure why.

Now through my travels other countries have surprised me such as Thailand with their incredible acceptance of ladyboys or Cambodia who doesn't seem remotely homophobic.
    Each country is different though as well as each experience within a city, those are mine and hopefully they give you a global insight of what I've seen and experience regarding homophobia etc...

About the being hit on by same-sex people I have been hit on by women in France, Spain, Australia and America ( some of them where from other countries like Germany etc...) It was nice to meet other women who assumed their sexuality and were strong enough to make a move. :slight_smile: