1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you say it's xenophobic to think that women from certain countries are better?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Aug 14, 2015.

1. lemons123

In other words: is it xenophobic/racist to believe that women from some countries are better than women from others? At least better for relationships, sex, friendship - not necessarily smarter/stronger.

I'm sure I'd get lots of hate for expressing my views on that 0_0, but I don't want to offend anyone (not that anyone cares what I think lol).

I just want to figure out if it's seen as xenophobia or discrimination to hold such views or is it a choice?

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Would you say it's xenophobic to think that women from certain countries are bett

I don't think so, but most people prefer women from certain countries based on stereotypes - so women from Sweden and Russia are portrayed as beautiful, blonde, slim and tall, whereas women from the UK and Germany are portrayed as frumpy and overweight, so you can probably tell what women from what country people prefer.

3. Yosia

Re: Would you say it's xenophobic to think that women from certain countries are bett

It's a preference. A bit like it's not discrimination if you simply prefer blondies to brunettes.

4. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

No... But I personally I don't have a preference for women as much as people tell me I should find me a black woman to marry or date I've never really cared about a girls race ya know if she's beautiful she's beautiful

#4 Chi and Bashful, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  5. lemons123

Yeah those are just popular bad stereotypes...

But there are occasions where you may simply like women who speak say Japanese and thus think japanese women are hot - which is a good excuse.

In my case though, I've discovered how "western women" aren't among my favorites, solely based on personality and not the looks stereotypes. I'd stop here, trying to avoid stronger words and such :slight_smile:.

Yet this summer I met and totally lost my mind over a girl from the so called "promised land" (Israel...). She's amazing in every way possible, and not just her, my minor interactions with her friends suggest that the whole culture is different and very positive. compared to everything I've seen so far.

6. Gen

Gen

Viewing women of certain regions are superior would technically be chauvinistic, but that is truly splitting hairs because very rarely is one chauvinistic without being xenophobia and ethnocentric.

Regardless of the terms, why do you feel this way?

7. rudysteiner

Nope, IMO, in it's simplest form, it's like preferring cats over dogs, or preferring to visit Paris over Provence. A matter of preference. Personally, I would rather be in a relationship with a Parisian than a Muscovite and I don't think it's racist or xenophobic at all.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No, because that's not what xenophobia is. Xenophobia is the hatred of foreigners, where what you're describing is probably more racism than anything else.

9. Gen

Gen

For the record, thoughts on people of other national and racial identities are not preference. Finding a certain group of people as inferior to others has nothing to do with attraction and isn't even slightly acceptable. Some of the responses in this thread were either written hastily or seriously disconcerting.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I guess some people have a different opinion to you on this particular subject. There is a clear difference between being more attracted to people of certain races, and finding certain races ugly or inferior.

#10 imnotreallysure, Aug 14, 2015
  11. lemons123

@Gen: To clarify for starters...most importantly: People understood "better" as "sexier". This is just preference. It is NOT racist to prefer Asian women for dating because you like the form of their eyes better so than the round white eyes. Etc.

In my case though, unfortunately I think you understood my point better than the rest. I genuinely feel hate towards the ones from certain regions/countries and the good news is: I am NOT proud because of it. "Why"? Well, no reason really - I've never been rejected by a "western woman", I am not living in a western country, nor have I ever been exposed to "anti-western women propaganda" (provided there is such thing).

I am just 90% sure they are by themselves xenophobic, racist, narrow-minded, judgmental, too normal and boring for relationships/sex/friendships.
    ^ Among some of the things I believe, I don't want to cause any harm based on such beliefs though.

12. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I believe that in terms of you personally, it is not xenophobic (or racist) to prefer women from different countries. This could be because you have different values to those people and they come from a different culture to you.
    However I think its xenophobic to think that any person from another country is less than a person from another country. I think its xenophobic to think that some women from some countries are better than women from other countries.

13. Gen

Gen

You might have assumed that he was referencing his personal attractions. I commented on what his post actually said. Referring to women of certain countries as "better" is absolutely chauvinistic and ethnocentric. That is not my opinion; that is the literal definitions of those terms.
    Asians are a race. White is a race. These are not nationalities. You cannot find someone of a certain nationality physically sexier when physical features has no connection to nationality. Are we talking about race or are we talking about nationality?
    By the way, I am very direct, but I am not attacking you. We are all influenced by our environments and if your environment has given you are very specific view of women from certain countries than you are no different that people in those countries who feel the same about people from your own. I am acknowledging that viewing women of certain cultures is worse than others does stem from internal prejudice and bias. It is not innocent. It is not a pure preference that you just happen to have. It is a product of the ways that you have been influenced by your environment.

14. MetalRice

I'd say it depends on the context and meaning, I personally am more attracted to what one would classify as "western women" myself; but I mean I don't really know.

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Using the word better might be wrong, but I would probably find people from certain countries more compatible with my lifestyle depending on their culture and upbringing - but they are not innate qualities. I wouldn't say that certain nationalities are better though - just different. I'd find it easier to get along with a person from Germany than a person from India - the former is culturally very similar, the latter very different - but this obviously isn't universal.

#15 imnotreallysure, Aug 14, 2015
  16. kyoujin

It is only ignorant to assume every single person in the countries must act the same. That there is no exception.

#16 kyoujin, Aug 14, 2015
  17. lemons123

I like how you're using the word "environment" though. If it was "your country", I'd disagree since I don't believe I am the average of my country...or any country for that matter. But yeah "environment" could mean so many things: friends, relatives, exposure to education/media, travel experience, etc.

18. Gen

Gen

Which I completely understand.

But there are people in the world who view their culture, nationality, race, etc, as better for reasons that are not so practical. The original post said nothing about why he felt this way? Why he felt that women from certain countries would be better at sex and friendships specifically which have little connections to culture? If this was purely about cultural differences than that is one thing but this obviously doesn't stop there from what is being described.

As I said in my previous post, it is not about shaming people who have any form of preferences; however, we should question why we view people of certain groups as ore desirable and respectable because just because you can have completely innocent and noble preferences doesn't mean that all preferences are noble and innocent.

19. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

What do you mean by "better"? Be careful not to generalize: every person is different, regardless of what country they are from.

20. RosexBud

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family

Eh, I honestly see it as a preference that you have. I see no harm in that. :slight_smile: