1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing rainbow bracelets/accessories?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Berru, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    (I'm not sure what subforum to put this in)

What are your thoughts on wearing rainbow bracelets or other rainbow themed accessories?

I've been considering purchasing one, but the only one I can find is from amnesty and it says "To love is a human right". (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
    I'm not really out where I live yet, so I'm sure it will spring a lot of looks and questions, but sometimes I just wish I could wear something that tells others like me that I'm like them, if that makes sense. It gets lonely.

Any thoughts?
    And do you wear anything of the sorts? Why/why not?

2. Lyana

In my experience... it's actually not something most people, especially cis and straight people, pick up on. I tend to be very aware of rainbows, as my gaydar is nonexistent and they're pretty much all I can rely on. But a lot of people will just... not notice, unless you wave it under their nose for 5 minutes straight. And even if they do, not everyone will understand what it means, few will care, and even fewer will ask, even if they make assumptions.
    So. If your aim is to signal to other people in the "community," I would say go ahead and do it. And rock that bracelet, Berru.

Personally, I own a pair of rainbow earrings, which I wear because I like them and to show pride. I'd wear a rainbow bracelet if I could find one I liked around here. I'm sure I'll buy more pride accessories in the future, because I like rainbows and I like being queer so it's basically killing two birds with one stone.

3. pinecones

I used to wear rainbow belts, bracelets, etc. all the time and no one ever picked up on it. The only comments I got were along the lines of "wow I love your belt it's so colorful!" So I doubt it'll out you to anyone who isn't actively looking for rainbow stuff. If anyone asks you and you don't want to be out you can always say you just like colors.

4. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I have a rainbow ring. It does get lonely, but don't forget that every time you're walking on a busy street, there's a chance of coming across somebody like you every 10 seconds.

5. kyoujin

I personally do not wear such things. This is because, personally I have no desire to. My sexuality is not concrete, and is not something I think about often, if that makes sense.

Besides this forum, I am not even involved in the LGBT community.

6. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have been considering this as well. Not a bracelet, but like a rainbow wristband.

I think people would pick up on it though, since I don't really wear that many accessories in general. This is what deters me from wearing one, since I'm not out.

I do know a girl at work with one of these on though and I've been meaning to ask her about it. She is very easy to talk to, so my guess is at the very least she's an ally. I don't think I would come out to her yet though.

Good idea on the belt. I think this would be subtle enough to clue in LGBTQ folks, but not straight folks. I might give that a go first if I can find one. :thumbsup:

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear a rainbow bracelet. They were given out at school so I took one. ^^

8. Cedar

One time I was at an event where people show off their classic cars(kind of like the Dream Cruise but a lot smaller). This one vendor had a booth where they made bracelets out of beads and old tea spoons. I had them make one with a skull and a rainbow made of beads, I really love that bracelet because it looks like the skull has a rainbow spine. I stopped wearing it after a while because people kept glaring at me, afterwards, I lost it. Now I'm trying to find it again. It was silly of me to take it off because of that. Don't let other people dictate what you wear simply because it might make them "uncomfortable", wear what you please. It's only a bracelet, I don't see what's so damaging to one's health over something so minor. If you want the bracelet, get it.

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had several :slight_smile:

One was a rainbow bracelet with two linked male symbols.
    One was a rainbow Mickey Mouse pin I got at Disneyworld.
    There's one I'm wearing right now that's beads of androgyne colors (although I don't think the maker intended that)
    I used to have one of zodiac symbols with their linked Homestuck colors, that were all in a rainbow (These were mid-highbloods, for any Homestucks reading)
    A flag pin. A paperboy hat with sequins on it. Lots of things.

Fun fact: The pride flag actually started off as a flag for the whole human race! (This is why I absolutely love it. You don't get any more inclusive than that)

10. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been thinking of getting a rainbow barcode tattoo on my inner forearm. Seeing whereas I'm just recently really coming out, it seems a bit extreme but then at the same time I figure what the hell, might as well go full on committed with this.

11. Christopher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a rainbow necklace but I haven't worn it for awhile. Maybe I'll start again! I liked it and I got an occasional (positive) comment about it, though always from women.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I own lots of rainbow merch (heck, I never take my Rainbow Delegation bracelet off), and I've never ran into a problem with other people.

13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of the time, I've got a rainbow paracord bracelet on, and since I made it, usually also my trans pride ankle bracelet. Most people don't notice.

#13 confuzzled82, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  14. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would wear a rainbow wristband, but I don't think that's such a good idea where I live.

#14 AJ56, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015