1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do these remarks sound homophobic? How can I make her not stereotype all LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Aug 16, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I made another thread similar to this topic in another forum. My mom can be quite mean sometimes. I don't think she intends to sound mean, but she will let it be known whenever she doesn't like something (or someone).

So, anyways...my mom is a huge fan of Project Runway. I don't personally like the show, but she enjoys watching the show because she loves fashion and art. While she's watching the show, however, she can be pretty mean about the contestants (especially the gay ones). Like one time, after a gay guy was speaking to the judges, my mom turned to me and said "Ugh! Don't EVER talk like that. I'll slap you silly if you do!" She was referring to the way the guy was talking and acting which can be seen as feminine or "girly".

In another instance, she was mocking the same gay contestant by saying, "Looooook, I'm a gaaaaayyyyy maaaaannnnn." That was totally unexpected. Basically, I think she has this whole mindset that all gay men act like the ones on Project Runway. I actually hate that show because I believe it negatively stereotypes LGBT people. I don't talk or act like that and hearing my mom say things that like makes me so angry. That's part of the reason why I'm still closeted to her.

She's usually not like that, but she turns into a really hateful person when she's watching that show. How can I help educate her a little bit about this and not stigmatize the gay community based on the way the gay guys on that show act? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!