1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What motivated you to go to university?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Aug 18, 2015.

?

What did you prioritise in going to university?

1. Financial/career concerns were my primary motivators

31.3%
  2. Social reasons compelled me above all else

6.0%
  3. I enjoy education for its own sake

14.5%
  4. Combination/other

48.2%
  1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With many of the Northern Hemisphere's universities commencing their new year, higher education is on a lot of people's minds. For me, it's a stressful period in applying for them.

But rather than simply focusing on the stress of getting into a particular course at a particular university, I'd like to ask why you did or will attend university.

Did education appear as a means to an end, with utilitarian career and money considerations always at the forefront of your decision?

Did you choose higher education for social reasons? Did you feel that university was simply expected of you or that you wanted the experience of campus life?

Did university appeal to you for education's own sake? Did you seek to broaden your mind/horizons etc.?

Or anything else. What made university seem the right choice for you, and would you change your decision in any way or wish you had valued your education in a different way?

#1 Aussie792, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of hard to say because, with my family, not going to university was never an option. My family wanted me to be able to get a good job and, of course, I wanted that too. University did appeal to me for education's own sake. I do love to learn and I adored college. And there was a definite note of "If I go to university, I can avoid the 'real world' for a few more years."

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's sort of sad that, at least in the States, the idea of education as something that you do to become a well rounded mature citizen has largely fallen by the wayside. It seems like it is discussed almost entirely in terms of a way to get a job. I think education, even higher education, is a value in and of itself.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of the above, really. It was always expected of me as a reasonably high academic achiever, it would take me where I (at the time) wanted to go in terms of career, I wanted to benefit from the social aspects, and I really love learning.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with this, for most, myself included, university became nothing more than a sophisticated trade school. However, in order to complete a certain number of credits, I had to take electives and one of these was philosophy. I enrolled and enjoyed it thoroughly (and did very well), but I noticed how old and sad the professor appeared, and the classroom was in the oldest part of the oldest university building on campus.

I completely appreciate having learned my profession, and I credit it with giving me a reasonably good income, but it could have been so much more.

There is a political dimension to this as well: a well-functioning democracy demands an educated electorate, and by educated, I mean well-versed in political philosophy, the humanities, etc. These things are no longer part of what it is to be considered "educated".

I would go further to state that our technology, mathematics and science education could be thoroughly enhanced by learning things that are no longer taught, like logic and philosophy. The result now is an ocean of bad science in almost every field, or the pursuit of science and technology untempered by a sense of what is right or wrong; a really sad state of affairs.

6. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to University for various reasons. For one I wanted a fallback something that could provide for me a living just in case the other things in my life don't workout. My family is well-off and have a few businesses but I was always afraid of the "what-ifs"--- what if it all goes down, will I go down with it? Because of that I wanted a profession that I could practice independent of the family business. Hence I studied BSN for my undergraduate, then Medical School afterwards.

In terms of socio-cultural norms I was expected to go to university, not only go but finish it. The doctorate was not necessary but I just had to go there in terms of providing pride to the family as well as to myself. You can also call it sense of calling.

Third would be self expectation. I am a person who demands the best of myself. I wouldn't be content just staying on the wayside when I know I can do something such as go to University, not only go but ace it. I was a full academic scholar for both my BSN and Medical School. I suppose it's the drive to be the best at everything.

7. guitar

All of the above. My parents both have degrees so there was an expectation to go. I've always done well in school, so it was like "why not?" My friends from highschool were all going to the same local university. Since elementary school university was always "the plan."

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because everyone else was doing it and I wanted to get rich... :lol:

No, a part of me wanted to "make up" for lost experiences in grade school, plus I enjoy learning for its own sake (many hours that should have been spent studying for exams spent in the library getting lost through shelves).

It was a new experience, more grown up, and it felt like I had more control. A degree is recommended but not required for the jobs I want to do, but my experiences helped me grow out of my comfort zone and become more well rounded.

Oh, and neither of my parents graduated from college, plus many in my community (Hispanic) were underrepresented in higher education, and I wanted to help change that. A lot of folk are content with any old job and a roof over their heads, unfortunately.

9. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I'll (officially) be starting uni in the fall after taking two years off after high school. I think for me, it's a combination of wanting to learn for learning's sake - I love learning new things and I suppose I miss the routine of having school in my life as well. But overall, I just want to start towards something in my life. I want to kickstart my way to a career and also meet more people, have more experiences.

10. MetalRice

I haven't gotten my GED yet, but I want to go to college to get an education and get independence from my parents.

11. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Society expects a piece of paper with my name on it in order to easily join the computer science field. So I got the piece of paper and then was able to get a job.

If society didn't view the piece of paper as so important, I wouldn't have wasted the time. I learn things on my own just as easily.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To improve my career prospects. It feels like the wrong decision though - I feel suffocated in these overly academic environments. I should have entered work straight away. I can't even say that I want to earn a lot because I couldn't care less. The only thing I can say I truly enjoy is the friends I've made and people I've met, from all over the world.

Oh well. Not long to go now. Seems dumb to give up when I'm only about a year from obtaining my degree. Plus I'm only the third person in my family to pursue higher education so that's kind of cool.

Look out for my face as the CEO of CitiBank in 25 years.

#12 imnotreallysure, Aug 18, 2015
  13. Lyana

My vote went for Combination/Other.

I never considered not pursuing further education. I've always loved school (or, at least, being taught -- not the school environment itself). I was 17 when I graduated, and was hardly ready for the "adult world." I'd always done well in school so it seemed like a natural step to continue. Yes, my family expected it of me, but they never pressured me.

I wanted the education, but I also wanted to experience student life, and the only careers that appealed to me were only accessible after a university diploma, so it made sense to go to uni. It still makes sense, and I'm glad I made that "choice."

14. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This. I certainly don't regret going to university, but all those long classes, academic topics and abstract discussions are so boring to me. I voted on career opportunity as motivation, but there's also social pressure from family. If you're from the middle-class in my country, university is pretty much an obligation. The only other way to make money would be opening your own business or buying farm lands in the North, but that's too risky.

15. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is a combination of all of the above, but career and money were never my primary objective. The main reason was for the sake of education itself; even if I could've been guaranteed a well-paying job after high school, there is no way I would not have pursued a higher education. I simply have a desire to learn and "broaden my horizons" as it were. I wanted to study the subjects I am passionate about (religious studies, linguistics, English) even if they alone are not a means to an end (often when I tell people when I'm studying, it leaves them with a confused look on their faces).

Of course the social factor is there as well; I attended a private college preparatory high school where many of the graduates go on to Stanford...I knew that by attending I'd be on the road to university. My parents both have graduate degrees...education is in my blood.

Yes, I do feel it has been the right choice. I love it here. I love academia, I love learning, I love what I am studying. I have never felt more at home in my life.

#15 Wallace N, Aug 18, 2015
  16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was primarily motivated by my career choice. I came very, very close to being a Women's Studies major at University of Victoria, but I ended up in Software Engineering instead. I left SE after first year because it was a brutally sexist atmosphere. I ended up in Computer Science, and the only different is the former is a B. Eng degree, and I have a B. Sc., and I didn't have to get bullshit internships to graduate.

~ Adrienne

17. Van

Van

I went to university only to get this piece of paper called diploma. Got 2 of them - for bachelor and master's degrees. So, I guess that motivated me - getting diplomas, no one cares about. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#17 Van, Aug 18, 2015
  18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of the above.

1. It is the path to a good job and a more secure future.
    2. Although my parents never really were that pushy about anything, what else am I supposed to do straight out of high school? Work full time minimm wage at a dead end job? Minimum wage would hardly be enough to pay rent.
    3. I do find science interesting, as well as other subjects, and I have taken classes that don't count for anything just because they're interesting or it is a skill (language) that I wish to pick up.

My current goal within the sciences and the path I'm trying to take is more career oriented, though.

#18 Austin, Aug 18, 2015
  19. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the career I wanted, going to university was compulsory. It was pretty stressful throughout but really fun nonetheless and I discovered that I actually really enjoy learning and it spurred me on to do better.

20. RainOnVII

Not only did I want a college education for a job, I also love learning new things (with classes like mythology, spirit healing, biopsych--oh, so interesting!). I feel nauseous when I'm not attending classes and expanding my horizons--If I'm not learning, I'm not myself.