1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Solemn Reminder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunshinebi, Aug 18, 2015.

1. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ya know, I sometimes forget the oppression that goes on around the world every day. I feel as though I've become numb to it because, in all honesty, I had an easy and fairly unstressful closet-exiting. But there are people who fear being beaten and kicked out of their homes by their parents if they came out. I won't pretend to know what that's like. That ever-present worry must be torture. So to those of you in these situations, living in constant fear of those who you're supposed to love, stay strong. I won't give the "if I did it, you can do it" bs because it's not true. You are infinitely stronger than me and many others in the world. It's inspirational people like you that we look to for strength in times of sorrow and dread. You are the ones we see and think "if they can do it, so can I." And for that, I thank you. Not just people on this forum but people across the world who are warriors for the cause of acceptance. You must stand unwavering for you are the ones that keep the LGBT world spinning.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say here anymore but I know that it all comes from the heart so I don't really care.

2. alilnervous

As gay people, as women, as people of colour, as oppressed people from all sorts of backgrounds, we all have to deal with so much bullshit. Because some deal with subjectively bigger things, it doesn't mean what you are going through matters any less though. You can rest assured that it is perfectly normal to feel this way, I feel it almost every day (that rhymed!).

What made you think about this though, if you don't mind me asking?

#2 alilnervous, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Help everyone you can, that's all you can do.

Just don't let it ruin your life too.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
    And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.
    "​

Though it began as a purely selfish motive, ideally, I would like to rule the world climb as far up the power ladder as possible, enduring the injustices rules that plague society still, until I am able to reach the top, and then change these rules.

Not everybody is cracked up to do that, let alone handle it. But like you said BlueBaron, "If they can do it, so can I.". Somebody has to do it, or else it will never get done... I have the drive, but need to be careful not to become consumed by old habits or, worse, the realities of the world.

If I fail, so be it. But my failure will have been a result of my choices, my decisions, my power, and not being subject to another. And if I do not fail, well, folks can no longer cling to excuses -- and that, I think, is inspirational enough.

5. C P

C P

I'd be lying if I said that the OP in this thread didn't make my day, if just a little.

If anyone remembers my thread about the year being irrelevant still, part of that had to do with this issue. It might be nice that many out there have family who doesn't care and/or are supportive, but there are a number of us who don't have that luxury and are pretty much alone otherwise. It isn't even about 'who has it worse' but rather that it is nice to know that someone at the least understands that everyone won't have that magical 'we don't care and love you' ending that is constantly thrown around like 100% fact.

This thread may or may not have even brought a slight smile to my face.