1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel more at ease after Marriage Equality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Schloss, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Title says it all. :slight_smile: So it's been almost two months since the Supreme Court has declared gay marriage legal across the US. It would be great to see how much you "feel" different after it. It goes without saying that society won't change overnight, but how the decision has made you feel personally even months after, is very important to the inner workings of the mind. I'm not in the US, but even all the way here I do feel that there is some sort of change.

Please note that this is a poll on how much different you feel since gay marriage being legal, and does not have to do directly with your own personal struggle with your environment.

Just to give an example:
    Lets say you're struggling with your sexuality in your current environment, can you sense any progress within yourself which is directly because of Marriage Equality?

2. MetalRice

No not really, since I now have all these worries related to my gender to worry about.

3. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Personally, I think it's a great leap forward for the LGBT community, but I still feel left in the dark, in my opinion.

<Droopy Dog voice>Nobody seems to care about the widdle ol' OS community.</Droopy Dog voice> :icon_sad:

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When it comes to one aspect of things, I feel better. In Ohio, I cannot have my birth certificate edited. So, this means that I am still listed as female on it. Before marriage equality, many transgender people had a hard time getting married here because of the ban on same-sex marriage. Now that there is same-sex marriage here, this has gotten rid of that worry.

There is still a lot of work to be done though. There are not discrimination protections here, so that is something that needs to be worked on.

5. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No progress for my country's public opinion, yet. I, on the other hand, have been happier ever since. It's a huge step and I'm optimistic about the future.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I feel the bigots have their jimmies rustled and they're going to be even more unreasonable for a while but over time the majority of them will probably have to either change or silence themselves. I mean, you don't see people protesting interracial marriage these days but there are still (mostly older) people who have those thoughts in their heads, because it isn't illegal anymore. The law backing them up only makes them feel even more "justified" and without that they're going to lose a lot of that over time.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a huge step, but it's not the final one. Sexual orientation is still a legal basis in many locations to be denied adoption, housing, employment, or protection from hate crimes. In the city where I live I have full protection because of a local ordinance, but if I were to look for housing or employment in a neighboring city I would be unprotected.

8. Ryu

Ryu

It's been a little over a year in the UK... And I'm still keeping my cards close to my chest... I don't trust anybody at the moment.
    thankfully pressure has dropped dramatically here, especially after all of the US legalised it, but there is still work to be done because the world isn't perfect and never will be.

9. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do in the sense that it is an important victory in the Great American Culture War and sends a message to the other side of "We won. Get over it."

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The extent to which my government is willing to obstruct marriage equality is far more stressful than any positivity from successes in marriage equality elsewhere. While it is being pushed to an extent in Australia that hasn't occurred before, the tension caused by the government's actions is really making me feel uneasy. Proposals on how to sabotage it are abundant and the risk of a long delay is really uncomfortable.

11. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen alot more open couples XD

12. kyoujin

The legality of same sex marriage does not affect me, as I do not want to get married.

13. Psaurus918

Not really, I'm glad the government is standing behind the gay community and ruled that marriage is marriage but I think it made homophobes angrier in some cases and I couldn't even read the comments on my local news post on Facebook about the ruling because some of the comments were so disgusting.

14. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    gay marriage has been legal for as long as i can remember in my country

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This.

I've heard so many people proclaim, "Well, same-sex marriage was legalized, that's it, no more complaining or giving special focus to gays.", not realizing there is a second half to this whole process -- the enforcing of the law, and making sure it assimilates into society.

#15 Kaiser, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  16. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm more concerned about public opinion. We need to make sure we effect social change if we want the marriage equality ruling to mean anything. It's great that it's legal now, but that doesn't mean we should stop showing people why it's important to be legal.

#16 Skaros, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  17. C P

C P

This.

18. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hmm I'm glad it happened but same sex marriage was already legal in my state. I'm pretty sure Transgender is a protected class here but I'm not sure, I know LGB is.

#18 Serperior, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  19. Lipstick Leuger

No, I don't. I am more afraid because crime against gay people has increased due to angry homophobes. This is pretty much par for the course if you look at when inter racial marriage got passed as well. Crimes against blacks skyrocketed for several years. I have taken to carrying pepper spray everywhere these days.

20. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it is a good step but there is still a lot more work to be done.