1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who taught you how to sing or influenced you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wannahavechange, Aug 20, 2015.

1. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello ladies, gents, and cat people I have a quick question? And a short story.

As I am a 90's baby I grew up listening to: maroon five, pink, Alicia keys, t-pain, beyonce, destiny's child, avril lavigne, blink 182, sum 45, linkin park, paramore, korn, marilyn manson (mom's disapproval XD), rascal flatts, owl city,amy Winehouse, radio head,adele,.. then I had my radio disney phase.. which lasted like a week.
    Sometimes I wonder why the music we have now sounds nothing like the music I listened to growing up. Now don't get me wrong there are alot of new singers who I feel have that 2007, feel good music.. and then when we got to 2014.. it went all downhill. The musicians I do give credit too today, Florence and the machine (of course), owl city (Adam young.. his voice gives me feels), paramore (they still rock), and adele.. I feel like everyone/well not everyone.. the artist I mean are changing they're sound because of the times.. now I don't really care for miley cirus.. in fact I've only watched her in hannah Montana a couple of times. I don't think it's cool for peeps to judge her, because she was only doing what she was payed to do : act. That wasn't her real personality. So now I feel like she's just being her... I don't really like any of her music videos, but she can sing her buns off.. like really well.
    Sorry this is getting really long... I am influenced by a lot of feel good music and my vocal range goes good with a couple of music genres.

I learned how to sing from. Youtube by watching.. this sounds crazy... a certain green pigtailed singing diva.. still sounds dumb, huh? I do like anime and I saw a picture of miku hatsune, I thought it was an anime but turns out she's not.. so after learning about vocaloids and watching their videos. After I learned how to sing from my diaphragm I started singing the English subtitles, then later in japanese, my first song I learned, and sing it really well is melt by kasane teto. I find miku's voice slightly annoying with some songs.. I sing American songs too, but I just love emulating the songs and having fun with it.
    Ok sorry that was really long and most of you are gonna think I'm weird from learning how to sing from fictional charscters, but if someone does respond on here I'll be super happy.
    So who influenced you XD!!! (!)(!)(!)

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first time I realized I had some potential singing was really young, probably 6 to 8, singing along with Simba from The Lion King in his "I Just Can't Wait" song. (only realized the fridge horror years later that he was essentially wishing death on Mufasa XD)

I didn't model my singing after anyone in particular for awhile, but found I liked N'Sync and similar boy-bands around '99-ish and went with that. Nowadays I consider Billy Joel my inspiration and role model for music. I've conceded that I'll never sound quite like him, at least without a vocal coach and a miracle. But I can emulate his style to kick moderate ass at karaoke. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 Argentwing, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  3. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I <3 this si much go green day!!!(!)

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    JoeL with an L. XD but Billie Joe Armstrong is cool too. Personally I think he could do better than Green Day but I like them.

5. RainOnVII

For the most part, my lessons were from Evanescence. "Fallen" is the only CD I own (the rest of my music is in mp3 format). I was amazed at how long she could stretch the high notes (and even now, I can't stretch them as long as she could) and how extensive Amy's vocal range was. So I sang along, and figured out that while I can't mimic voices, I'm pretty good at resonating with pitches/tones. I got further practice in basic training, when we didn't have our phone and the platoon had to entertain ourselves.

While I didn't learn to sing from Hatsune Miku (and it's not weird to have done so :slight_smile: ), I get plenty of practice from j-rock bands like YUI and UVERworld. I love listening to vocaloids too, my favorite being the Kagamine duets! IA, Kaito, Meiko...argh, all of them are good too!

#5 RainOnVII, Aug 20, 2015
  6. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No one taught me. I've just always had a natural ability. However Julie Andrews influenced me the most. When I first saw The Sound Of Music (age 5) I started singing along and my mom noted how good I sounded. So I kept it at. I practiced every day for a good two hours. Songs from TSOM, The King And I, My Fair Lady, and Disney were my favourites.

I use past tense because I've since stopped. Puberty really set in when I was 16 and I couldn't reach those high notes like I used to. So I stopped altogether:frowning2: :frowning2: Once in a while I'll try but I become very frustrated that I no longer sound as good.

Is it at all possible that I can get my vocal ability back? I miss it SO MUCH! Nothing in the world made me more happy than when I was singing.

#6 XenaxGabby, Aug 20, 2015
  7. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes rin and len make me so happy.. have you listened to the snow white princess is by meiko, that's my next song I'm gonna tackle XD

---------- Post added 20th Aug 2015 at 06:10 PM ----------

Awwe, I'm sorry. I use to love diney too... til I realized that beauty and the beast had bestiality involved, jasmyn fell in love with a liar and a thief.. well I guess he was forced too. The little mermaid... the true story :-( ,was gut wrenching. Snow white pimped out her cleaning skills for exchange in staying at seven midgets house. Kinda pushing the stereotype that all women can do is cook and clean. I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying midgets. I mean dwarves. Sorry

8. RainOnVII

I just did. I love how catchy/rock it is--good luck! :thumbsup:

9. kyoujin

I taught myself. Meticulously training my voice.

10. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    influenced by Aussie bands like daddy cool and inxs. as well as green day and crowded house

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I learned to sing with my female voice while I was in choir in school. I'm working on getting used to singing with my male voice now. It's a bit of a work in progress since my voice is still changing.

12. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You rock!!!, I don't think I've ever met anyone who can say that. Keep marchin' forward!! <3(!)(!)(!)

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my great influences was and is Celine Dion. I was amazed by the way she belts so effortlessly and manages to sound incredible. I learned from her and a variety of other singers that there are many different kinds of voices out there, and I had to figure out what suited my voice and what didn't. So I very quickly learned that I was *not* a belter like Celine, but also that I could take her songs and sing them in my own way. I was also able to learn other things from her, like the way she puts emotions into her singing, and little inflections that make a lyric a little bit special.

(Also: Christina Bianco's imitation of Celine Dion is hilarious. XD)

#13 GlindaRose, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  14. RainDreamer

When I was young, like 8 or 10, I heard "Ave maria" sung by someone I can't remember (think it was Celine Dion?), but it mesmerized me, and I was singing it when I was alone, in female voice - which was easy pre-puberty. Once I hit puberty, I was quite sad when I couldn't do it anymore, and I drop singing altogether, as I grow to hate my voice.

It wasn't recently that I pick up singing again, as part of my voice training. It is hard, and my throat often end up in pain after straining myself to get back the voice I lost, but I am getting there.