1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

black lives matter and other racial issues

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wannahavechange, Aug 21, 2015.

1. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello ladies,gents, and cat people!!! So today I've a quick story and then question for you guys.

So with the whole black lives matter thing.. I have to agree that a lot of black people have been being killed or beaten by white cops. I mean it's kinda hard not to agree with everything on the news and what not, but every ethnicity has been killed or beaten by every ethnicity who are cops. btwsies, I absolutely hate the news.. hates to strong a word. I'll go with dislike for now. So I feel like his whole black vs white thing is going to go ddown the drain in know time because people can be amazing sometimes and progress but, it was just an issue that was bothering me so I had to speak my two pennies about it... I meant to two cents about it but I like saying pennies instead XD.

Another thing that kind of gets my knickers in a bunch.. Ha!!! (Old lady talk)... ok sorry, that was lame. Is when, (and now I hope no one takes offense to this. ( people see discussing race issues as taboo, I see it as healthy and breaking down certain things that make it taboo) white people either tell me: "what are you mixed with?" And you know I get that people are curious and will want to ask about your ethnic background, but from my personal experiences, they ask that question because it's like it's hard for a full black person (idk if that's how you say it, I'm not mixed XD) to I guess be attractive without being really dark for their skin complexion. I think some of you guys might've heard of light sking vs dark skin.. idk it's a thing now... oh wait here comes the best part that white and black people tell me:"you don't act black".... dafuq!!!! (>.<)... I mean I know me and my friends are all jokey joke jokes about race but I seem to get that one alot. I've been told by kids who ride my bus back when I was in school. By some of my white friends :you act whiter than us".... I don't even know.. anyone wanna go to Starbucks lolz.. something that I noticed about myself if I'm a crowd a all black people or white I feel uncomfortable. Because i like diversity and I have alot of friends who are of different races. I hope that makes sense. So this whole black lives matter thing, yes it's true all lives matter, but right now what's happening to my people, my race matters.

Okie dokes and artichokes, now for a much lighter subject. Interracial dating * dun,dun, dun*
    (Crappy sound effects). Thoughts on it, comments, stories. I jist thought i should bring it up. I seem to attract alot of Caucasians and latinos. I aint got no flava lolz... I like all the persuasions of the rainbow. But I started to notice how there is a bit of racism in the lgbtqa community, and I couldn't help but ask. Do you guys ever feel like you're either fetishes to some people or have been turned down for being a different skin tone. My gma being a lesbo has told me many stories about it, but I just wanna hear you guy's take on it..
    I apologize in advance.. I mean I usually post a lot of light hearted threads but... idk, my brain is on thee backburner. (&&&)(!)(!)(&&&):grin:

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "All lives matter" is missing the point of Black Lives Matter. By saying that blacks live matter, we're calling attention to police shootings and violence, not excluding everyone else. Obviously all lives matter, but they're trying to focus on a specific issue.
    Acting like a black/white/Latino/cat person/ is all stereotypical, nothing more than that. It's really rather stupid, when you think about it. I recall some person saying about gay marriage, "I don't get gay married, I get married. I don't gay park my car, I just park it." There's no specific racial way to do things except in stereotypes.
    I have no issue with interracial dating, I still don't see why it's such a big deal. Not dating a perfectly wonderful human being just because of their skin color is petty and just dumb.

3. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Man I have a lot of typos in there XD.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2015 at 06:43 PM ----------

Thanks for commenting have a wonderful evening(!)(!)(!)

4. Gear2BQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like people aren't focusing on the violence part... they are focusing on whether it's racist or not. Honestly I think it's bad that black people are getting hurt and killed by cops, but you have to wonder what they did to have the cops use physical force on them. I know that some cops take it to far and sometimes the person getting attacked by cops didn't do anything to deserve that. Many of the cases I've seen on the news have another side of the story if you look it up where the person attacked the cops and the cops tried to protect themselves. I'm not at all saying that I think it's okay for the cops to attack black people. I think it's okay to protect themselves from any person who tries to harm them no matter what race, gender, and whatever else.

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't have said it better. Unfair targeting is one thing, but if a cop genuinely thinks that they're going to be hurt, they're going to react quickly with violence. And about protesting, looting innocent stores and burning things is NO WAY to show your anger. Protest the police hall or whatever you want to, but don't hurt bystanders.

6. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup that's true, there are always two sides to a pancake.. but there is also a thing as racial profiling amongst black people and sometimes they get shot or killed before explaining themselves.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2015 at 07:57 PM ----------

I don't think I've heard about any looting or burning... oh wait never mind. Yeah that does suck and I do think we should take it to police hall or wherever. Also I don't know too much about it, but to me it seems like a lot of black churches seem to be being targeted as well, so it's not just, black people looting ,vandalizing, or hurting pedestrians,.. it's everyone.. well ont everyone. The whole situation just sucks. I don't really watch the news, however my mom is all for it. I heard her and my godmother discussing how some people argued and said only churches were being targeted, but many of these churches,were only black churches.

#6 wannahavechange, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  7. MetalRice

It's a damn shame all of this has been going on, the police seriously need to be held more accountable for these things; and we need great reflection as a nation to see why we still have these issues these days and how we can fix them.

8. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here here!!!! You said it :slight_smile:

9. Gear2BQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah the racial profiling is ridiculous and it's stupid how people around here where I'm from are still somewhat racist. Not all of us are racist though. I see more racism from the white churches of the area. The media helps intensify and exaggerate the racism though...here are some lines from a serious article a about a teenage boy's death that exaggerate how much racism there actually is.........

"In ____________, a town of just 1,700 people – 80% white, 18% black – the bitter legacy of the South’s racial history is never far from the surface. The African Americans have a nickname for the place: they call it “Crackertown” in reference to its longstanding domination by the white population.

The events of 29 August have become entangled in that historical narrative, inevitably perhaps in a state in which 86 black people were lynched between 1882 and 1968.

While America debates whether it is moving into a post-racial age, the truth in ___________ is that the past is very much here and now, and that the terrible image of “strange fruit” will hover over this town for as long as the truth about __________’s death remains uncertain.":tears:

The is still racism and sometimes it goes both ways and shockingly it comes from a lot of people you wouldn't expect. I feel terrible for this poor guy and there trying to make it look like it's because all of us in "Crackertown" are racist. They said that he had a 31 year old white girlfriend and she could have killed him, but the fact is the media was trying to make a horrible situation worse by making it about race rather than about the death itself.:tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

....and who the fuck came up with "Crackertown" no one calls us that!:tantrum: :bang:

10. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i can agree with this. i just think there needs to be some reform for the system in terms of law enforcement. there seems to be a bit too many power hungry individuals that fuck it up for the rest of them.(inb4 anyone says "you don't understand") when we're getting spoon fed with news like these, it's hard to tell what actually happened as oppose to what's being told. i can say that i agree or disagree with the movement at all.

in terms of dating, date whoever the hell you want, lol. you'd be a lot more relax if you don't focus on ethnicity and race so much. you'd be surprise what a person has to offer.

11. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish everyone on ec could just march up or meet up somewhere and just protest the crap out of this. Yes, racism does go both ways. I've been called an uncle tom by some random black peeps and I was like dafuq!!!!, I don't want 2015 to be a weird year.

12. Gen

Gen

Highlighting the fact that African Americans still face institutionalized discrimination in the United States is not pitting the races together. It is highlight a statistical and demanding change. The issue is not that force is applied to African Americans by the police. The issue is that force is applied in manners that blatantly violate protocol and officers aren't held accountable for harming all types of victims, but it is deemed accepted on the very basis that an authority might find a person of color as inherently suspicious of intimidating.

Racism is never something that we will be able to completely eradicated; however, institutionalized racism, which is racism that our systems of law and government make possible through failing to properly monitor and regulate the behavior of authorities and office holders, can be avoided and should be resisted.

13. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okie dokes?

14. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

The thing about focusing on the cops and violence and one specific group is that this has been a very long time issue---50 years since the 1965 Watts riot (sparked by a police confrontation), Richard Pryor using the black/white racial tension and the police as part of his stand-up routine in the 1970's, N.W.A's song "Fuck the Police" comes out in 1988, Rodney King beating in 1991 and the riots in 1992 after the police were acquitted---and now this stuff, seems like nothing ever changes except now we have video to disprove police stories and news eager to show it over and over for the ratings.

But then you have a white kid who's killed in the same way as all these black people and suddenly the white parents are saying What About My Son!?!?! It's tragic yes but for people to call it a media double standard is laughable---where was the media and their coverage over the last 50 years? As soon as a non-black kid is killed by the police it suddenly becomes a major and universal problem... but you couldn't really say that before it happened to you, right? The default position is that white people could historically rely on the system working in their favor, not so much for everyone else. NOW they know what it's been like for so many people for decades.

This also sounds remarkably familiar to the AIDS crisis. When it first showed up it affected only those people that nobody in the mainstream media or society gave a damn about---the gays, the blacks, and drug (needle) users. It was even called GRID (Gay Related Immune Deficiency because if it only affected The Gays it must be due to their behavior, right? Straight people: safe!) But as soon as it hit straight white people THEN it was a major problem worthy of the attention and money it deserved.

In a perfect world the police would be held accountable for all of their bad actions, regardless of the races of the police and civilians involved. As it is, this is just a part of the overall, huge, and historical problem of race relations here in the states.

I grew up with and am more comfortable in diverse company because all my friends growing up were of different everythings. People wrongly assume a lot about me because of whatever weird assumptions they have burned into their heads (and I'm not talking about my being gay, though that's part of it). When people say "Well, you don' act [gay, black, Jewish, WTF ever]" that's them saying "Hey, why aren't you acting the way I think you should be acting?"

So yeah, I don't know what else I was going to say, I'll stop here.

#14 wisefolly, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  15. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (!)(!)(!)

16. alilnervous

Very happy to see some solidarity going on. It truly is a second coming of the civil rights movement and it is an interesting time we live in for sure. #BlackLivesMatter :slight_smile:

17. Randomcloud

I don't really have a lot to say about the Black Lives Matter issue since I don't live in the US and don't really know the true extent of what is happening over there- but it is annoying when people are like "BUT ALL LIVES MATTER" like I agree with the other poster, people who say that are just diverting from a specific issue to bring the focus back on themselves.

Interracial dating- well I think it's great, especially since I'm multiracial myself xP But I do notice racism in the LGBT+ community, yes.. it seems contradictory to be in a minority and then be discriminatory to other type of minority but it happens.. one thing that I found annoying in my personal experience- I went to a discussion group at my college called "racism in the queer community" or something like that. The room had about 10 white people (including the people running the discussion) 2 non-whites and a one mixed person (me). The white people were discussing "issues" concern racism but didn't even give me or the other two 'people of colour' a chance to express our thoughts :/ aaanyway

18. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn, I'm sorry, I hope he takes the time to actually talk to the only people of color/ or other minorities. Because in all seriousness.. everything is predominantly white. Growing up I asked my mom in elementary school how come we have black history monh but not white history month... (I know, I was cute kid, huh?) She told me to look on television, and at supermodels, or superheroes,.. every othere holiday was what she called celebrating the white man... I'm quoting her and yes i know how this may seem a bit racist by saying "the white man", but it's true. Growing up i didn't see any black super models or heroes, or people of color on tv. Well I guess that's why we had BET XD.

My cat people love you for commenting and have a good morning... over here it's fivish.. I don't have insomnia.. and then again I might. I've been watching a lot of onision. (!)(!)(!)

#18 wannahavechange, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The entire "All Lives Matter" argument seems to fall flat to me. For starters, it's mainly only said by white people after another person of any race says or shows solidarity with Black Lives Matter. It's as if they're offended that they're not included in that saying, and it's sort of like someone saying "ALL TREES MATTER" whenever someone is trying to advocate for the protection of the Amazon rainforest. It makes them seem disingenuous when they say that. There's also the point of there being clear statistical evidence that shows non-white people in America are more likely to be pulled over for no reason by cops, searched for no reason, arrested for no reason, or even killed for no good reason at all other than "oh, I felt my life was in danger". I'm sorry but you don't get to just shoot someone if you feel your life is in danger as a cop. You have to use an appropriate level of force for the situation at hand. And yes, I know socioeconomic status is also a big factor in who gets harassed by cops as well, and there are many poor white people who are also harassed by police, but it seems as if either consciously or subconsciously, many cops have the stereotype of the "scary non-white person" in their head any time they interact with a non-white person for a violation, citation, etc.

20. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sir are awesome, and you're in my place of birth/ hometown, then I moved to kansas.. then Nebraska.. and now bipolar Florida. Lolz. One day I might visit when I'm financially secure XD.(!)(!)(!)