1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So... I Want to Write a Book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheWeirdestOne, Aug 22, 2015.

1. TheWeirdestOne

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Hai everyone, I need some stories. My best friend Oliver, I call him Ollie, is a transitioning Female to Male transgender. I told him I'm going to write a book for him and I really want to, but me, being the hetero —sometimes pan curious— girl I am have no experience with what he's going through, and I wanted this book to be as real and genuine as possible.

Sooo I wanted to get the perspective from other Trans or just members of the LGBT in general. If you have stories about your experiences or some things you want to spread light on, lay 'em on me.

Hugs for everyone!(&&&) :kiss: ~Lucky

2. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Here are some book suggestions if you need additional resources:

Non-fiction:
    Trans/Portraits: Voices from Transgender Communities by Jackson Wright Shultz
    Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out by Susan Kuklin (anthology)
    Transposes by Dylan Edwards (graphic novel)
    Some Assembly Required: The Not-So-Secret Life of a Transgender Teen by Arin Andrews (memoir)
    Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Transition by Katie Rain Hill (memoir)

Fiction:
    George by Alex Gino
    Beautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kirstin Cronn-Mills
    Freakboy by Kristin Elizabeth Clark
    I Am J by Cris Beam
    Being Emily by Rachel Gold

There's also an LGBTQ section of the StoryCorps project, where people go and record their personal stories, including trans folk.

3. TheWeirdestOne

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thank you! They will definitely be on my reading list. In fact I think I found a book like that in my library in the teens section

4. Romin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, if you want to look into things that are more nonbinary, you could look up
    Ivan Coyote - Storyteller/Author
    Ollie Renee Schminkey - Poet

Both of these people are FAAB, but identify as some form of Nonbinary. Ivan has many books and stories from their past, while Ollie does a lot of slam poetry that is quite thought provoking, tear-jerking, and even hilarious at times. Ollie can be found on youtube performing their poems and Ivan has many recorded live events across youtube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On3NXRqq6VE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sc6w4I1Z00
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LSRl-OBhok

I don't know to what extent you were thinking of looking into transgender issues in general, so I thought I'd put in some of my perspective.

Good luck, my friend!