1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jenner at the dinner table...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was waiting for this to happen, when would Caitlyn Jenner be mentioned at the family dinner table?

Apparently, a news story came out that had to do with a criminal charge against Jenner for a manslaughter from a car wreck, and now she's apparently "getting off" for it, because of her public influence/money.

^This is just what I've heard, and am not supporting/opposing it. I have no idea if it's credible or whatever. Frankly I don't care.

What bothered me was this. My brother who was telling this story essentially said,

"Bruce Jenner killed someone in a car wreck, and now only has to serve one year and/or pay *insert money amount here* because he won some courage award for being transgender." Because he's trans.

Wait... what?! What does being trans have to do with anything? Even if she actually did get off for "murder" as people are saying, her gender has nothing to do with it.

I just hate... how because this has been so publicized, people are now pointing at it as some reason or justification - a "get out of jail free" card.

At the end of this, I watched to see how my dad would react. Usually the reaction is extremely negative concerning gay people, but this time he just huffed, "Weird..." Could have gone a lot, lot worse than that. It still made me sad that my family (brother in particular) holds such a negative view of transgender people, simply because of the media hype. I just kept thinking the whole time, How are you going to react when you find out I'm trans? Will I just be another disgusting weirdo to you?

Ah well.

Anyone else have any "interesting conversations" following recent media coverage concerning transgender people (and/or gays)?

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I heard it wasn't actually Jenner's fault the accident happened, but that's just what I heard. I heard the paparazzi was chasing her at the time. When Jenner was brought up into conversation back in June, I tried to back away because there was no way I could tackle all the things being said. Some good and some not so much. But I learned that more people seem to understand being trans is more of a life struggle than some "choice", so I guess that's good.

Anyways

I'm Always following the news relating to LGBT people so I'm always prepared for conversations relating to LGBT issues. When gay marriage was legalized, the news was on (Fox News :dry: ) so my parents of course asked why I supported gays. I came out right then and there, so that's what basically happened. My mom still thinks I'm confused and my step dad like making random jabs about it, but they accepted me (as far as I know).

#2 Skaros, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  3. TheClosetsTight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm really sorry to hear that your brother holds such a negative view of trans people, and for such a bogus reason! The out one of Jenner's charges have nothing to do with her being trans, though (like all celebrities) I'm sure everyone thinks that her celebrity status holds a lot of influence. Whether it's true or not isn't the point, and it certainly has nothing to do with her transformation. Besides, she was a celebrity long before she came out! Keep strong my friend, for every one person who hates, there are more who love.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother and I discussed Jenner over dinner a few weeks ago. It was quite a lovely conversation. She had me explain the terms related to gender identity and sex transition and actually made some notes. I was surprised by how supportive her attitude towards trans people is, despite having not the slightest clue about gender issues.

#4 Aussie792, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's not saying she's getting off with it because she's trans but because she's famous for being trans, which, she basically is at this point. Not saying whether I agree or not. However, if you opinion is that fame allows you to get away with murder, then gender is relevant in this case...

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

And thats why I eat in my room.