1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overall Victories

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunshinebi, Aug 23, 2015.

1. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recently I decided to pop into the Small Victories thread under Gender Identity and Expression out of curiosity and thought of what an awesome idea it was. So I figure, why don't we just have something like that for everyone? Now I don't mean to copy or steal thunder from anyone. I just want to sort of emulate that thread. All credit for this idea goes to user Kasey. So I was thinking we could post little things that we see day to day. Wether they be allies helping the LGBT community or vice versa. Basically just things that restore your faith in humanity.

-What follows isn't particularly important so I'll put it in red.

What compelled me to do this was what transpired today while I was at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport in Texas. I was waiting at my gate to board my flight to Long Beach and there was a young lesbian couple in front of me with their son. Some guy in a U.S. Army t-shirt made a snide remark about the boy having two mothers under his breath to a man next to him. However he did not say this very quietly so an older man (maybe in his late 70's) wearing a Vietnam veterans hat turned around with the most painfully cold stare I've ever witnessed and said "what was that son?" The guy looked at the floor guiltily and said "nothing sir." The old man said "damn right" and we all stood in silence letting the guy soak in his own ass whooping. I don't really like to see people get humiliated but he absolutely deserved it. And it was nice to see an elder telling an arrogant homophobe what's what. And on top of it all, there was that level of military respect since they are/were both in the army. It's just pleasant to see people looking out for each other.