1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying second-hand or pre-owned

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Aug 24, 2015.

?

Do you buy pre-owned (second-hand)?

1. Only buy new

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. I have some pre-owned items

23 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. I have lots of pre-owned items

22 vote(s)
    41.5%
  4. What's new?

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you always buy new or are you pleased to rummage around in thrift shops/second-hand shops? What would you buy and what wouldn't you buy? Are you happy to buy clothes that someone else owned/wore?

Thoughts/opinions on second hand or pre-owned items and the shopping experience?

2. hullaballoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a massive shopper at charity shops and the like. I don't mind if someone else has worn it before but I'll always wash it before I wear it haha but I will not buy underwear or trousers because of hygiene and stuff
    I have saved so much money by buying in discount shops and charities >.<

3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For clothing and electronics I only buy new however I love browsing thrift shops for rare collectables!

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aside from my bed, all my furniture is secondhand. A good chunk of my kitchenware is as well. I have a few clothing items that are secondhand but most are new. The only things I'd never buy used are shoes.

5. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Depends what I'm buying. I'm mostly used to second hand things though (being the youngest child) so I don't mind buying most things that way.

6. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Picture frames. I'm going tomorrow to buy some from a charity shop, actually.
    Books - yep, I'll pick those right up.
    Clothes - if I was going to reuse them as part of something else (i.e. create a costume or something), yes, but otherwise I always go for new clothes to wear

7. Sforzando

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I LOVE having a look around to see what I can find in second hand stores and the such.
    I've got some really nice jumpers that I've bought secondhand. I think I like them as much because I know I'm unlikely to see someone wearing the same stuff as me, albeit unlikely anyway since I'm in no way, shape, or form 'stylish'.

I pretty much exclusively buy videogames second hand since I'm just so hard to please. I don't want to spend £40 on a game I'll play for 30mins and not touch again.

8. Ryu

Ryu

I'm fine with buying second hand. My hi-fi is second hand, one of my guitars is second hand, my GBA is second hand, and if I didn't buy second hand, I would almost never be able to get a nes/snes and games for them... Which would be awful.

Oh yeah, classic guitars, classic cars, and vinyl. Need I say more?

#8 Ryu, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  9. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually prefer to buy new, especially in apparel. With electronic appliances u don't mind pre-owned though. I have a pre-owned phone, because the new ones are insanely expensive and it works fine, so I don't mind. Clothes, I would consider it, only if they didn't look shabby and smelled normal.

10. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer new clothes but if it's cheap and I like it, there's no point in wasting money getting an original. Electronics, however, I only buy new.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I buy almost everything used. Part of having a White Trash budget. Only new clothes I routinely buy are underwear, socks, shoes, and swim suits. I suppose other items, too, are best bought new, since used is more or less likely to be "used up."

Past this, one can get things that might not be obtainable otherwise. Plus there is fun in seeing stuff that is "who on earth thought this item was a good idea?" Perhaps something with a really ugly fashion of past decades. Or something that seems pointless, like an electric bagel slicer.

Buying used is very standard for me. When I was growing up, my mother and I did a lot of used shopping. Garage sales were routine for a period. We liked thrift shops as well. Clothes were then 100% new; however, we got a lot of other stuff used. Furniture, for one thing. In high school, I used a couple of manual typewriters, which were used. One was a 1940s (?) Royal like Jessica Fletcher had in Murder She Wrote.

Used buying also influenced one major new expenditure: my first decent audio system. It was based around a turntable (no CD player, tape deck, or tuner). I had LPs, plus I found the LP more enjoyable to listen to. But a huge practical point: LPs were really cheap on the used market.

12. rudysteiner

I selected 'only buy new', but I have four second-hand books on my bookshelf, and they're in such bad condition compared to every other book on the shelf that I'd never buy a second hand book again. Just looking at the ones on my shelf makes me uneasy. I suppose that's a little obsessive/persnickety of me, though. From the moment those books arrived (via post), after getting over the initial shock, I said I'd never buy a used book again. I haven't and never will, either.

I do like looking in secondhand shops though, and will buy a blanket for the dog's bed if he needs one but that's the extent of it. I love going to carboot sales too.

#12 rudysteiner, Aug 24, 2015
  13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, yes--used even extends to my computer hardware. Years back, before I was on the Internet, I used older Macintosh computers which were dirt cheap. I had software from my first Mac (and last computer I've had new). When moving to the Internet age, I went to modern Windows PC systems that I clean up and install Linux on. This current system: PC $10 because it was licensed for Vista!

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2015 at 03:59 PM ----------

A couple of other advantages of buying used:

It seems to be often more environmentally sound. One is reusing something that already exists.

One can also potentially get quality that is no longer obtainable, or else very expensive new.

14. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm okay with it but I don't think I own much second hand items? Except books though. I wouldn't mind electronics either, if they worked fine. & maybe clothes, again if they were in good conditions.

15. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A good bit of my clothing is secondhand from a consignment shop, including some of my favorite shirts. All of my Hollister stuff is from there. Same clothes for a quarter of the price. The majority of my video games are used. I don't think I would buy used electronics unless they were refurbished. I don't have any used books but I wouldn't say no if they were in good condition.

16. Cedar

I only buy most of my shirts new or my electronics. Everything else is second-hand from some thrift store.

17. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had the option of buying second-hand (clothes or furniture). The only things I've got that was second-hand was handed down to me from family.
    I have bought used video games, but that's about all I can think of.

18. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much all of my stuff is new. But over that last little bit, I've started warming up to buying used stuff.

19. the haunted

The only things I buy used are books. I would be open to buying used (wooden) furniture, but I just haven't found any I wanted to buy.

#19 the haunted, Aug 24, 2015
  20. kyoujin

Gothic fashion is quite expensive, so I often buy clothing second-hand, despite my germaphobic tendencies. Everything is well-washed when it arrives. I will occasionally buy jewellery second-hand as well, or make it using antique or vintage parts.

I never buy sheets, pillowcases, hair accessories, and obviously underwear second-hand.

I am a doll collector, and obviously they are second-hand. I love antiques in general, and will buy little old trinkets I find beautiful.