1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would happen if we elect a republican president in 2016 who opposes LGBT rights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Aug 24, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know we still have some time til our next election, but my main concern is having a republican president who opposes LGBT rights. I'm not sure how it's been in other countries, but I feel like in the US we've made great strides toward equality in the LGBT community. However, we're still not all the way there yet. Discrimination in the workplace and housing, for example, is a big issue if you're LGBT because it's still legal in most states.

What's holding us back towards equality and acceptance is most of the Republican Party. Basically I feel like if our next president is a republican who would deny LGBT rights, then we're going to move a step backwards, away from being treated equal. I'm not that into politics, but if our next president is anti-LGBT, do you think we'll still make progress towards equality or will we be in a stand still and have to wait til 2020? There's some republican candidates who are very vocal about their opinions toward the LGBT community and I would be devastated if any of them gets elected as our next president.

2. CyanChachki

Re: What would happen if we elect a republican president in 2016 who opposes LGBT rig

Make no mistake. They will start to ban it all. Even if the bill does not go through to ban in in every state, they will waste no time in finding loopholes. My question is, why would anyone want to vote in someone who's against a specific group of human beings? Homophobic or not, that right there tells me that they can turn on anyone at any time. No president should have any amount of hate in them.. that would only lead to chaos.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: What would happen if we elect a republican president in 2016 who opposes LGBT rig

I hate to say it, but honestly, gay rights isn't the most pressing issue facing the country. It is essential to advancing ideals of liberty, but it's hard to get excited about gay rights news while hearing about it on a battery-powered radio in my cardboard box. (not actually *this* poor but I feel it's too close for comfort)

That is to say the economy and how we're handling financial prosperity and foreign relations is a much more weighty problem. I'd be willing to give a little ground on gay rights if it means a better candidate overall. That shouldn't be a problem because Bernie Sanders appears to be the man, but we can't let the fact that we are most affected by politicians' barbaric outdated views on gays blind us to the other ways that we as a country may be abused.

#3 Argentwing, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

While I understand (though make no mistake about how much I abhor it) the general idea that for many, LGBT rights might seem like a middle-class urban fashion, I must disagree.

For someone who has lost their job due to discrimination against their gender or sexuality, there is a massive material incentive for legally entrenching LGBT rights. There are real consequences of LGBT rights that extend far beyond marriage equality that do not exist solely in theoretical discussions and newspapers. If there is a messaging problem, then sure, we've got to address that, but we can't pretend there don't exist those compelling circumstances such as homelessness and poverty related to this cause.

#4 Aussie792, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Alright, I can get on board with that. The only obstacle to seeing it as an intertwined big picture is that our politics are a shit-show on par with reality TV, where only one politician per "team" is allowed and middling views generally gets one pushed out of contention.

6. MetalRice

There wouldn't be much they could do about Gay Marriage, that would require a constitutional amendment and they would never be able to get enough votes in Congress to pass it or get enough states to support it, but they could chip away at other things for sure.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

What the Left thinks will happen:
    [​IMG]

What the Right thinks will happen:
    [​IMG]

What each Party will claim the other is:
    [​IMG]

What happens:
    [​IMG]

Repeat in 4 years.

8. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Agreed. LGBT rights definitely speak to the economic well being of the LGBT community. Many people do not live in progressive metropolitan areas and surrounding suburbs. In many areas, opening your closet door may close the deal on your cardboard box with radio and old newspapers. It would be nice for us to be able to continue to live in our present circumstances after coming out, whatever they may be, without fear of losing a job or harassment at work. The marriage equality ruling is fantastic, it gives legitimacy and dignity to our lives, but true equality under the law would change all of our lives, no matter what our marital status or where we live. I’m thinking of young people in small towns, whose first thought no longer has to be “I’ve got to get out of here” to find acceptance. Young people notoriously want to leave small towns, but they should want to leave them for the reasons of seeing the world and culture-or simply to get away from Mom and Dad (in other words, for the same reason their straight counterparts do) not because they long to find basic human acceptance! Also, imagine if the teacher who is the adviser to the LGBT student group could actually admit that he’s gay or she’s a lesbian-instead of saying his or her interest in the group is because his or her brother (who may or may not exist) is gay…you know what I mean? (That one’s even a hot button issue in progressive suburbs and we all know it.) Yes, all our lives would change for the better when we’re truly equal under the law. And let’s not forget that transgender people have an extremely high poverty rate as well. Movement Advancement Project | Transgender Americans Face Staggering Rates of Poverty, Violence Full equality would change our lives in ways we probably can't even truly imagine right now.

9. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

Ahaha that's totally it.

10. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I don't think a republican president who says they oppose LGBT rights will affect existing laws. If they repealed same sex marriage, this would have such a large backlash that I doubt they could stay in office. There are a lot of celebrities who would get involved if this was the case.

However, while it is possible that progress will slow down, I'm not sure if it actually would. Unless the president can't see the benefit of this to all of America, any laws proposed by Congress will likely make it past the president, irrespective of his views.

Maybe I'm just optimistic. (&&&)

11. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm just really hoping they don't make a rule against gay people joining the military, like Rand Paul (and probably others) want. I don't think gay marriage would be a huge issue, though.

#11 baconpox, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  12. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I don't think a Republican president would have enough support to make any efforts on anti-LGBT legislation. Anyway I don't believe such a conservative candidate has any chance of being elected. If the GOP takes the White House in 2016 it will be with a moderate champion, who might not personally like us but won't be explicit about it.

#12 MCairo, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  13. Aviator182

As a republican, I don't think that they would be able to do anything. The supreme court has already ruled on marriage equality. No president is going to be able to get enough votes through the senate and house of representatives to end marriage equality. Plus we have so many other problem in the US right now. Like the economy, foreign policy, and illegal immigration just to name a few. Most republicans I know support same sex marriage and LGBT+ rights. Saying that, I think that we all need to do our research on who we vote for at both the national and state levels. Both parties have finally realized that if they want to win an election they have to support LGBT rights. Please do your research and not believe what the media is reporting. It is 90% false claims against all parties. The media has to keep people viewing by creating more drama than there actually is.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

May vote for Sanders or Kasich in the primary. The odds are very high that I would vote for the libertarian in the general, especially Gary Johnson. Certainly NOT voting for another Bush or Clinton.

15. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Winning the White House will be presented as a mandate to roll everything back in the name of religious liberty. The GOP doesn't do moderate, the far right won't let them.

16. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

SCOTUS already ruled in favor for gay marriage at least, it's nearly impossible for at least that to be uplifted.

And if that ever happens - which I sincerely doubt - along with any other rights-revoking of LGBT members...

There will be some devastating backlash, not just from the LGBTQ+ community. So many people will be torn up on many levels.

#16 Taly, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
  17. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I have no idea how this will effect me, since there are no political issues based around object sexuals. Once again, it seems nobody cares about what happens to the OS's. :icon_sad:

18. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

They take it away or leave it. India took away homosexual rights - so what stops the USA?

19. FootballFan101

If the USA take away homosexual rights there will be SERIOUS backlash protests everything

---------- Post added 26th Aug 2015 at 02:09 AM ----------

They didnt really take away any rights there is a law against it but it is unenfornced