1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if someone stops texting you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sekliniak, Aug 25, 2015.

1. sekliniak

sekliniak Guest

If someone stops texting you for no reason and didn't text you back in the last few days, would you initiate a conversation or leave them alone?
    Personally, I'm always scared to initate a conversation because I think I could annoy them.

2. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I would initiate a conversation, but I would be terrified of it for the same reason as you.

It could be that they've forgotten to reply, or didn't know what to reply, or didn't know that they were supposed to reply.
    I've done those things.
    But that's also why I often re-start the conversations, because even though I'm terrified of being an annoyance, I'm aware that those mistakes happen, and I don't want something to go wrong because the other end thought it was my turn to text, or that the conversation was over.

#2 Berru, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  3. hullaballoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on the person~
    Like if it's a practically-family friend I'll initiate but anything below that I always think I'm annoying them- you're not alone :lol:

4. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, sometimes people want to be initiated with conversation - even if it seems like they haven't really spoken to you much at all. Striking conversation can't really hurt :slight_smile:

5. Lyana

I would initiate a conversation if I wanted to talk to them. I think texting rules and playing games with someone are a waste of time. I like to be upfront with people I like.
    One text can't be anything more than a minor annoyance. How hard is it to delete or ignore it, really? It's not even that hard to reply. If it annoys them, they must really not like me and I'm wasting my time with them, and that's good to know early enough.

I wouldn't initiate ten times with no reply, though. At some point I do get the hint. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Communication has to go both ways.

6. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'd try writing something to them.
    And if they don't answer, well, even better. That way I can go to sleep.

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the person. I have trouble initiating conversation with people, including my best friends, unless there's something specific I want to talk about. If it's my girlfriend, then I tend to worry that something has happened because we talk daily.

I don't see anything wrong with giving it a try.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Some people tend to respond better/more, if you insert or end with a question. Even if you have a legitimate remark to make, without a question, some folks will gloss over it.

There's a few reasons why people do this, mind you, but it can still be annoying.

9. Ryu

Ryu

I don't care whether a person responds to a text. To me, text is like a status update (because I don't have any social media), and I doubt you'd be concerened if nobody responded to a status update.

10. LonelyBiGirl82

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been there with someone and it's not fun. I came to the conclusion (in my prior situation) that the person wasn't interested and left her alone. If I'm interested in someone I would surely respond quicker and not leave someone hanging for days.

11. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol I couldn't care less if they think I'm being annoying. If I want to tell you something I will tell you something and that's that. Although I am weird in the sense that with texting I usually don't require an answer from the recipient, I get my satisfaction out of delivering the information; whatever you decide to do with that information is not something I concern myself with. The people I usually text know this, so they can safely ignore me or just read without replying if they please knowing I probably won't even notice either way. Plus, they can always block me if they want. I know I would (and have) if the tables were turned, and they know this too :grin:

#11 RawringSnake, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  12. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Too lazy to type out a whole response, so this.

13. rudysteiner

If I'm comfortable talking to someone, I don't usually care about double texting, triple texting, or even an octet of texts. If I have something to say, I will say it without hesitation. If it's someone who I'm just getting to know, or someone I haven't spoken to in a few months and need to get used to speaking to them again, I'll usually double text them, but leave the second text a few hours and it will usually be on a different topic.

Admittedly, I'm quite a talkative person when texting, typing etc. as it's where I'm most comfortable, so I usually do most of the initiating, but in real life I get quite anxious that I'm being overtly annoying to people I want to like me and they usually have to spark a conversation with me. Once in a conversation, too, I can talk about almost anything, and if not, my nods and fillers are quite convincing.
    If I'm talking to someone I hate though, I don't give a shit what they think.

14. C P

C P

I tend to wonder if I've done/said something, so I usually just allow space for a few days or so(varies depending on who it is) and then ask if they are alright.

15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it seems like the conversation is always dying, and I have to keep saying stuff to bring it back, then I give up and wait for them to initiate. But if it's something that isn't always happening, then I send another message :slight_smile:

16. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This for me as well.

17. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd text them again within an hour or two, honestly (unless I knew that they were caught up / busy) if I needed an immediate response about a question. Otherwise, I'd give it a day and text them again if I wanted to converse with them.

Sometimes I'll read a text while I'm driving and stopped at a red light and won't have time to respond then when I do have time, I forget about it on accident. Sometimes I'll type a response and forget to hit send... I do that WAY more than I should.

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mean this to sound challenging, but how would you know that it's for no reason? There could be any number of reasons why someone might not text back and the only way to really find out (if you need to) is to inititate a conversation. I don't think leaving them alone is the answer. One text should not be all that annoying to any reasonable person.

19. TraceElement

If it's been a few days, text them again. They may have forgotten to respond.

20. robotman

This!