1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quantity or Quality- What do you prefer when it comes to friends?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Étoile

I know many people say "Quality over Quantity." when talking about friends, but what do you prefer? I think both are very important, but I think quality wins over quantity just by a little. Let's look at the pros about each:

Quantity- Always have someone to chit-chat with, popularity, easy networking and may get more friends, able to experience different personalities and viewpoints, can ask advice about a friend to other friends that may not know the person, can rely on more people to get favors, more opportunities to attend parties and hang out

Quality- Closer relationships, know more about the person, may last longer, more trust, dependency (not being clingy but having each other's back), more love

2. IamAninja

Quality, always.... ALWAY! But maybe thats just me.

3. biisme

4. jazzrawr

Hmm...quality for sure. Quantity is nice, but when you have alot of friends it's so much pressure - you have to try and please them all the time, or else they don't like you anymore.

When you have a few, good quality friends, they have your back no matter what, and you can just be yourself.

5. littledinosaurs

Can i shoot for both?
    you definitely need quality.
    But if you only have like one friend you NEED Quantity, there are always some friends you can/can't talk about stuff with and that you do with another one.

6. Trumpetplyer23

I'ma say both.

I have a lot of friends (quality) and they like me for who I am.

However, I have a few really tight friends. I can talk to them about just about anything. They have my back and I have theirs.

7. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Quality.
    Because I realized that I only have 4 friends that matter.
    2 of which are leaving for college after this year, and 1 who's already in college.

8. summersforecast

My freshman year I chose quantity and I had a ton of friends but I decided that they weren't worth it unless I new them. So this year I made friends with band geeks (quality friends).

9. I have a balance between them. I have a small group of friends but they all definitely have quality.

10. partietraumatic

oh defs quality. I have one very best friend,then theres a group of about 5 or 6 quality friends. Id rather that than have lots and lots of not so close friends

11. TheRoof

definitely quality.
    i always prefer having few close friends whom i can really trust and talk about anything.

12. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This might not sound how i want it to, but i think you need friends for different reasons. I mean, there are your acquaintances who you can stay in a same room with for a while without gouging eachother's eyes out; there's your mates who you spend quite a lot of time with because you get on pretty well most of the time, but you wouldn't trust them with every detail of your life; and then there's your good friends or best friends, who you know will back you up anytime you need them, and you can tell them your deepest secrets without worrying about them gabbling.

Usually, you have more acquaintances than mates, and more mates then best friends. So, i think quantity is nice with acquaintances and mates, so you've always got someone to talk to, but quality is good in mates and best friends especially. Well, that's my philosophy at least!

13. TylerGChandler

Quality so what if you have one friend if they're a good one thats all you need.

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

15. McBenz

I say quality! I mean yeah it's nice to be popular and whatever, but that won't get u any where in life if you font have any really good friends to have your back. If the quality of your friendships are great u don't need to worry about quantity. There are still plenty of ways to get into parties! Haha

16. Mickey

Quality,absolutely.

17. Seanboy23

Quality. I had the misfortune of "coming out" and meeting people in the gay community through the bar and club scene. That gave me a LOT of quantity, but not much quality. Now, it seems as though I'm aching for more friends, more GAY friends, outside the bars and clubs, and all I wind up with is another night out drinking with the same ol' hot messes. It's like there's no world beyond the clubs.

(It IS fun though, heh heh heh...)

18. Daniel

I have both...do I have to choose?

I guess I have quality in my life the most...as a quantity of my friends live in other countries now.

19. Quality, hands down. I tend to attract few friends A) because I'm an introvert and B) because I'm so extremely unique (read: weird). I would definitely rather have 2 or 3 really close friends than 20 I don't know so well.

20. Malchik89

i would honestly rather have a few friends that are best friends and like family to me rather than a bunch of friends who really don't give much of a shit about you