1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying other people's labels to yourself

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beebop, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Beebop

Beebop Guest

One of the issues I've been having when going to gay clubs and bars is that within minutes of arriving, someone pulls out their Dymo labelwriter, starts tapping away, and promptly slaps some label across my forehead. I haven't even labeled myself yet, other than "not straight", because I don't really seem to fit in one specific category.

A label is just a descriptive term used to categorize something, so even comments about one's appearance or social attributes are essentially a label (i.e. calling someone cute, ugly, smart, dumb, etc). After receiving an odd compliment yesterday, I got to thinking. What if we all took other people's labels for us at face value and actually used them to describe ourselves? I thought of all the comments and labels I have received over the past 6 months, put them together, and had to laugh out loud because it was so ridiculous:

I'd be a: Petite, cute, lean and muscular, very athletic looking, super butch, purple unicorn stud, with a perfectly formed nose, and dreamy bedroom eyes.

Yeah. Just ridiculous.

So following this premise, what would your label be?

2. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone labels me as a huge narcissist, I can't say that I disagree. I'm alpha as fuck, I have sky-blue eyes and I'm pretty masculine. Whatever label folks want to make out of that, go for it. I know I'm kickass, people can say what they want.

While we're on the topic of labels, can I just say I hate the EXTENSIVE labels that the LGBTQ+ community throws out there? I'm not talking about; gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender... I'm talking the extra additives: demisexual, polysexual, pansexual, biromantic heterosexual / homosexual, et al. The list continues to grow and get longer everytime someone has a new emotion towards sexuality. If you're gay, you're attracted to the same gender and the same gender only. If you're bisexual, you're attracted to both genders in some way, shape or form. I don't get why we have to continue labeling beyond that point.

I know I'm probably going to receive massive shit for posting that thought, but it's my opinion.

#2 DrinkBudweiser, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. CyanChachki

I'm a FTM Bisexual Drag Queen who's slightly annoying, complains a lot but can also hold a good conversation. This is how I've come across to people who've said something to me about my personality and I'm working on not being annoying or complainy. Some people have labeled me as mean or rude but with that, I'm only mean or rude to people who come for me.

4. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get labeled as naive, stand offish, the dumb one, the smart one, crazy,.. oh and my favorite wannabe/reject chris brown... (apparently people still think I dyed my hair and since the douche also died his hair blonde for some reason)
    My hair is... what I like to call it "Golden hashbrown brownXD" it's a birth defect.. I think. I've always had this color ever since birth and I've gotten hell for it.
    Alot of people who I meet for the first time don't ask but I know they're dying to ask if I died it. \(=3=)/

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I don't get bothered by other people labeling me. I know what I am (gender wise) and who I'm attracted to (sexuality). If people refuse to acknoweldge that and project their on preconceptions on me, that's their problem and will only hinder their potential attempts to befriend me, get respected by me, etc.

6. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Labels are stupid.
    Since I have schizoaffective disorder, I'm sure I get slapped by: crazy, unstable, dangerous, with two personalities, stupid, confused, unaware of what's going on...
    all of which don't apply to me.

7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well they're more nicknames then labels but I get called "supermodel" and "freakishly tall" because of my height and lion/horse because of my hair.

Bad at reading emotions,bland,boring, quiet (except close friends who know I never shut up sometimes.:lol:slight_smile: crazy,weird,creative,annoying, standoffish,grim,mean,awesome, and fabulous. It really depends on who you ask. (!)(*hug*)

#7 Canterpiece, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015