1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meditation Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spacewalker, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Spacewalker

I meditate whenever I feel I get restless, nervous or stressed. Or just want to switch off the world outside. Then I just close my eyes, take a deep breath and let go until my head is empty and I'm completely calm.
    So my question for you is: have you ever done it and if, how and why?
    I'm curious:slight_smile:

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've tried and tried, but my thoughts just race around from one worry to another, and it never seems to reach a state of calm...I'd love to be able to, though, but after a lot of attempts, it's like I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

I try to think of a certain quote from a short story by Gustav Meyrink :

"Try to think of a small point inside you that the world can not touch", and that helps some...but my anxiety seems to keep winning out.

The one time I did reach a meditative state was in one of those sensory deprivation/flotation tanks...for me, it's like I'm hyper-sensitive to outside stimuli...and so, I need a space where it's totally dark and quiet, but in a city, that is hard to find!

Still, I do try, though I have a lot of trouble with it, and not having all these scared, anxious thoughts.

#2 HuskyPup, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yes,!!! Finally!!!
    So all you need to do is. Well first get into a room or place where you won't be disturbed.
    To get relaxed you can turn on some music or say positive affirmations.
    Now clear your mind and only listen to the sound of your breathing, you can add your mantra when doing this of you like.
    I like using my own :"love,light,life,energy"
    But if you feel like you're not in that state of awareness you want to be at or if your concentration keeps straying. I suggest doing the apple meditation. It's when you picture an apple. Or you can use a real apple for practice if you can't visualize one. And only think about that apple. If any thoughts come in your head push them out and only think of the apple. This'll build better concentration. As farcas opening your chakras and getting in touch with your guides/angels or better clairaudience or clairvoyance. Is that something you'd be interested in? I often get messages from my angels, wether it's a repeating pattern of numbers, colors that stick out to me. Certain words or phrases.

4. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have practiced before with mixed results. Usually (darn anxiety) I can calm down and relax. However, I was under the impression that it would carry on (feeling of calmness) and it doesn't for me.

Perhaps I'm not doing it often enough. Apparently you can just do micro meditation for just a couple of min, 5 times a day and it supposed to create a healthier mind set.

I usually just close my eyes and concentrate on my breathing. I use to listen to recordings but I find I can do it on my own now. I don't shun thoughts, I just briefly acknowledge them and go back to my breathing. If any feelings of tension occur I concentrate on that area until it lessons and go back to concentrating on breathing.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I meditate as regularly as I can manage...my goal is 15 minutes daily. I sit, generally in a quiet space, and focus on breathing, while I let my mind empty. I tend to leave my eyes open, although they close sometimes. If I catch myself thinking or getting distracted, I politely tell my brain to hush and get on with it...I think it's really important not to be self-critical while or about meditating...some days you can do it without issue; other days all you can manage it to sit still; and that's ok.

It takes a while before that kicks in. It can take months or years of regular meditation. But it's worth it. I carry around so much more inner peace these days, because of meditation. And once in a while I get a deep peace that hangs with me for the rest of the day. Not always...and that's ok too...take what you get. Meditate because it helps you in the moment, though, and let the longer-term benefits come as they will...'cause they will.

I recommend starting with maybe 10 minutes, once a day. When you first start, even that much can feel (almost) unbearably long. I've done and can do longer than 15 minutes, but I find that a really comfortable amount of time, and easy to carve out that much on a regular basis (hey, if you can't spare 15 minutes a day, you *need* to make some changes in your life).

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

As has been mentioned, it isn't something you sit down, cross your legs, and touch fingertips and instant enlightenment. Like most anything else in life, it requires some dedication and trying. But yes, I do meditate.

I try and do it daily, anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour. In the past I have gone as long as 2 hours. Lately though, I've been kind of slacking, so I meditate every other day.

My garage is decked out, and since I live in a decently quiet area, I can enjoy the sound of nature of the sun beaming on me. I usually light some candles, maybe play some very faint background music in the distance, to help set the mood.

Meditation has allowed me to face and conquer some of my inner demons, but you only get out of it what you're willing to go through. So, if you won't be totally honest about why you feel this way or that, you won't honestly solve your issue. However, it can leave you feeling well-rested, smarter, and dare I say, more attractive.

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Now that I think of it... I do some kind of... not quite Nihilist, but... something like that kinda meditation... like my head is buzzing and I just think "none of it matters. It's meaningless. Breathing only."
    Idk

#7 Invidia, Aug 27, 2015
  8. RainOnVII

I had (have?--I'm not very dedicated to circles, but I do appreciate nature, which is a part of it) a celtic pagan/wiccan stint, and I've learned how to meditate from the priestess there.

Basically, It's to find a quiet place, a comfortable position, relax your muscles, breathe in pure energy, breathe out dark energy (and let it sink into the earth). And from there, you could also try to go find your spirit animal. I think mine's a deer or elk?

I usually meditate when I'm nervous, stressed, or bored.

#8 RainOnVII, Aug 27, 2015
  9. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My "meditation" usually comes when I'm feeling super stressed and then I just put on a soothing song and just drift off into it. Personal fave is Leonard Cohen- "A Thousand Kisses Deep". Sounds like the kind of song you would listen to driving along a stormy road late at night.

#9 angeluscrzy, Aug 27, 2015
  10. Ryu

Ryu

I've wanted to, but I don't think I have the concentration to do so, and especially since I watched avatar the first time round.

So... While on the subject of avatar and meditation, what is a Chakra and an Aura and what do they do? I'm fairly certain that they have some basis in reality...

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can do it, but it's very difficult, and I don't think it works for me. My record is like 15 minutes. The boredom almost physically hurts.

My mind is very chaotic. Perfect for chaos magic. I'll put it this way. At first I read the title of this thread as "medication thread" rather than "meditation thread."

12. kyoujin

It doesn't work well for me, my thoughts will wander, then I'll want to get up and do something.

I prefer to get lost in music, books or films to release me from stress.

13. mangotree

Strange that you should create this thread now.
    I used to meditate a lot, but a couple of months ago I decided to stop because I didn't feel like I needed it any more.
    Between Wednesday the 19th to Wednesday the 26th though, a few things happened that wound me up tight and stressed me out.
    Only after meditating for half an hour (on this Wednesday night just gone) was I able to let all of those things go.

It wasn't until after meditating that I realised how tightly wound I had been for the previous week. I'd somehow spent 7 days oblivious to how crazy my mind had gotten.
    So meditation has now become part of my regular, everyday routine again.

14. EastCoastGrl

I meditate but only using guided meditation. There are lots on YouTube to use. I usually go 10 minutes. It's so helpful and makes me calm.

15. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Usually I have trouble focusing but I meditate sometimes.

Methods I use:

1) You can look up "Guided meditation for...[self love, patience, relaxation, etc.]" on youtube and that helps me focus. It's basically someone with a really calming voice walking you through your meditation, helping you picture yourself in a relaxing setting, or helping you to cast away your distractions.

2) For deep-breathing meditation I try to picture the air molecules going into and out of my body as I breathe. I also sometimes repeat a mantra or just a word that pops into my head.

16. rudysteiner

I have tried meditating a few times, but it has only truly worked once, with the exception of a few minutes here and there and then my mind is full of thought. The one time it worked was one of the best things I've ever felt in my life. Amazing.

What worked for me the first time, and a couple times after, is:

• Listening to some calming music (try searching 'meditation music' on YouTube)
    • When I'm calm, skip to a few minutes before the end and letting the music fade out
    • Completely strip of everything, including underwear
    • Turn every light off (if I have a big light and a lamp on, I turn off the big light, and then the lamp)
    • Get into a comfortable position and close my eyes
    • Think of something that makes me happy (mine, personally is a huge field full of long grass, with me alone and my dog with my dog and a few others running in the grass with him)
    • Focus on my breathing, and then.. Well.. Meditate.

17. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are seven in all. Red,orange,yellow,green,blue, violet and indigo
    Root,sacral, solar,heart,throat,brow, and crown. The seven chakras are kind of like centers that can be opened up to make improvements to your life and ultimately you can unlock unlimited potential when the crown and brow are opened.. but there is such a thing as an overactive third eye. Or if you're not mentally strong and open your third eye to early you could go mad.
    Aura is your energy.. your vibe you give off.

18. CameronMR

Sometimes I just lay/sit in complete silence and concentrate on seeing any images on the inside on my eyelids. Its an interesting exercise, with interesting results.