1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working On My Gaydar?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by queermeerkat, Aug 27, 2015.

1. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can often pick out lgbt guys, but with the women it's harder for me, when I do lean of a queer girl I'm like omg she totally is I see it now!
    Most of the use of my gaydar is for curiosity (and bc I'm wanting to start an LGBTQ club at my college) and sometimes it's me looking for a partner, so my question is, any specific things about a person that make your gaydar alarm go off or is it just intuition?

2. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually pretty clueless and can't tell unless a girl is really bitch, but then I might shrug it off and assume she's a tomboy. Or I can tell if a guy is really obvious.. like rainbow bracelets, or is really flaming.. other than that my radar is broken XD

3. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Mine is practically non-existent. Sometimes I find myself staring at random people too much. Partly because I find them attractive, but also because human behavior is just so interesting.

The best my mind can do is at slight glance make an assessment and rate the possibility (my mind is never sure)...with a low confidence in my rating. However, it is entirely based on stereotypes for me (apologies) and most likely wishful thinking.

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no gaydar, whatsoever.

5. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I need to work on mine, sometimes it's easy, other times I think they are, but then I get to know them, and begin doubting, then I think they might just be closeted, and then I think I'm overthinking it. I turn it into a loop so I usually just pretend they're straight so I don't get my hopes up.

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My gaydar's busted, everyone's gay for me! XD

7. rudysteiner

I just assume almost everyone is gay unless I know otherwise. :lol: I thought gaydars were just a made up thing. I can usually pick out a 'straight acting' gay guy in a crowd/public space, but I'm never 100% sure.

8. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my, I meant to type butch not bitch... I hope no one takes that way..

9. kyoujin

Everyone is different, and you will not be able to spot every LGB person. There will always be those who do not exhibit stereotypical behaviour.

10. Lyana

I was planning on sitting in on the lesson, but turns out I'm just going to echo the people above who said they gaydar is broken. In fact, it's a running joke with my girlfriend... Frankly, I'm sure mine just got lost in the post.

That, or my mother stole it.

11. whoagirls

Out Status:
    Some people
    I literally have none. Even the absolute most obvious people ever I still don't have a clue.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a very good gay dar and I'm very good at determining whether someone is gay.

13. Hopeful

I'm pretty oblivious most of the time. I usually figure people are straight... and the ones I hope aren't usually are anyway. Whoops.

14. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Girls are fairly easy. (Though one of my friends came out to me and at first I was totally surprised. But then I was like 'ohhhh that makes sense'.) At least in school they are. I'm writing this list as if you're using your gaydar on young teenagers.

1: If the boys she socializes with are not the sporty boys. (This has been a trend at least for my grade. All the LGBT girls including me do not talk to the "popular" guys a lot. We talk to the nerdy gamer boys that are generally really funny but really shy.)
    2: Skirts are not part of her weekly outfits. (Now this rule can be bent a little bit but seriously queer girls will likely not wear a lot of skirts, though they will wear pretty femme stuff)
    3: She's an artist. (Okay, so not all queer girls are artists, but generally if a girl is really good at art/is really creative she could be queer. My crush who is gay has the most visual mind ever and she draws on her hands a LOT. I'm also really artsy.)
    4: She games. (AKA: She knows what AFK means. Not all girl gamers are queer, but a lot of queer girls can game a bit. At least modern day teenagers.)
    5: BEHAVIOR. Behavior is everything. I can't explain it but a queer girl has certain things in her behavior that kinda make her stand out. (Bring up boys. You can tell quite a bit unless she's like really good at acting or she's totally straight.)

(Don't use fingernails as a reference when using your gaydar on teenagers. We get lazy and forget to clip them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

15. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

This is so true for me.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The question is what is a gay man supposed to be?

There are many men who are I guess "indistinguishable" from the stereotypical heteronormative straight dude bro types. Except they like other men.

So gaydar doesn't always apply.

17. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly.

I can pick up on certain cues and traits in someone based on which I can make a guess about their sexuality (most times intuitively) with a moderate rate of success, but that's only taking in consideration my personal knowledge and experiences which are in no way universal or applicable to every gay man/woman. Simply put, there will always be lgbt people that will be "invisible" to you (until they make themselves known), which is why I never trust my "gaydar," even when I'm mostly sure I'm right in my assumptions. And then, of course, there's wishful thinking, which can cloud or warp your perception to fit what you want to see rather than what is really there.

If I get a "ping" it's something I'll keep in mind, but I never make any judgement until my suspicions are explicitly confirmed.

#17 RawringSnake, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  18. Lipstick Leuger

My wife is Harder Butch, but she can't pick out an andryogenous Boi or a Stone Butch to save her life. Our conversations go somewhat like this:

Me: Babe, I love that outfit that Butch over there is wearing, you need to get boots and a shirt like that.

Her: What Butch? You talking that guy over there, he is a he not a Butch.

Me: Yes she is! That is a Butch, I feel the vibe from over here. She walks like a Butch, that is not a guys ass. I'll go prove it. *me walking over by the Butch in question and smiles, she gives me the look and smiles back*

Her: Ok, you were right, but it's only because I only glance at them and you are attracted to Butches.....

or something along this line. She can't tell, I can, but oddly enough, she catches most all the Lipsticks/Femmes that I don't always catch. So, meh.

19. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My gaydar is horrible. Unless someone looks like the stereotype, I think they are straight.

20. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My gaydar is pretty on point, I am generally able to point out most queer people (bi/gay/lesbian) around me which is pretty cool considering I am into femme girl so I don't have much trouble spotting the ones that potentially aren't straight which is a blessing really. :slight_smile:
    I often have more trouble with butches/tomboyish chicks actually because some of them just happen to be straight so yeah I figure it out by their behaviour much more than their look ( I am a femme too and always come out as straight to people so can see the struggle here).
    Funnily enough, I actually find it odd that most of my friends can't see the queer people around them because I find them so easy to spot because of their energy. Unfortunately for me though my gaydar haven't learnt yet to differentiate actual gay or bi people from people in the mood to experiment... such a shame ! :/

#20 Lin1, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015